Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Poor build quality of life jackets.

I have a couple of Typhoon manual life jackets which I paid about £48 each for they are a nice simple design but imho the quality of the inflatable bladder seems very poor and which is very similar to those kids water wings from the 80's era you know that thin plastic stuff.

Anyway some time ago whist checking to see if they would stay inflated after use, one of them had a leak which was a very fine pin hole directly behind the gas bottle which I presume was caused by the gas bottle banging against the bladder after falling off the seat on the rib or being dropped on the floor or whatever. Not good

I also have a more expensive Crewsaver crewfit 190n LJ the bladder is a bit better quality but not much, but the gas cylinder does have a neoprene sleeve which covers over it .( Much better idea ) however!! I have just purchased a re arming kit ( don't ask ) and while fitting it there is a crappy little and very brittle green plastic clip which goes over the manual pull spring which broke while clipping it on

How do some of these LJ get passed for the ce mark ?? they appear to be poorly built and not very hard wearing for normal boat use, I am not sure what LJ these rib ride company's and commercial users use but they must get some stick, more so than from us leisure users. Does the quality actually get any better the more expensive you go and how much do you have to spend to get a half decent LJ.

I personally would feel a lot safer wearing a PFD at least there is no worries if it will inflate or stay inflated when you really need it.

p.s. make sure that you check and inflate you LJ on a regular basis.
Old 11 January 2013, 13:59   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Interesting Post Kerny ...

My view would be that a LJ if used in anger it is a one use only bit of kit - hence the bladder doesn't need to be that strong when its out of its protective sleeve/ outer.

I treat all my jackets with care - lets be fair my life could depend on them.

I know Steve (250 on here) has had very good reliability on his customer jackets which are changed and in use 7 days a week through the summer, but their make/ name escapes me right now. ( maybe Polmaris ? ) .

We as crew use the 190n crewsaver jackets ( we tend to wear more kit than customers normally would ) which again I thnk have been very reliable and passed thier tests when needed .

The green plastic clip I'd want to be weak as I think it breaks off if you pull the manual trigger. ( it does on my personal ones - and they 'home tested' by me about every six months as they are only ever used on my own boats) and haven't shown signs of wear etc, but then the bladder is a definate fabric and not just plastic like arm bands the kids had years ago.

I'd still take LJ over a PFD for a lot of stuff - just to know if I am out of it my face will be upwards and not just left tp chance........
Old 11 January 2013, 14:37   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
lets be fair my life could depend on them.

The green plastic clip I'd want to be weak as I think it breaks off if you pull the manual trigger.
That's my point Peter, your life does depend on them, they don't appear to be rugged enough, and as you know on a boat things do get knocked about a bit if for example, If I had not checked my LJ and I would have needed it, it would have let me down and believe me I do look after my kit. Its possible that it could have happened while stored inside my bench seat ( I do not always wear the same LJ ) and the bouncing about of the rib caused the gas bottle to puncture the bladder but this shouldn't happen for a life saving piece of equipment.

As for the green plastic clip on my 190 n , I still thing that there could be a much better design of clip it's far to brittle.
Old 11 January 2013, 14:50   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
( I do not always wear the same LJ ) and the bouncing about of the rib caused the gas bottle to puncture the bladder but this shouldn't happen for a life saving piece of equipment.
Thats interesting .. I always wear the same one - of the six I have , 2 have never been worn at all , the other 4 - all have lights but only two have spray hoods. I always wear the same one (of the two with lights & hoods) .

The rest live in a nice warm cupboard in thier special bag with some silica gel sachets ont here to keep the humidty / dampness out/ down.

I wonder then if I am just paranoid about caring for stuff as a result of wearing parachutes in a past hobby - stuff will always get knocked or dropped on occasion and unless you check the jacket each week there is always a risk I guess ? If the bladders were hypalon youd never get them round your neck
Old 11 January 2013, 15:10   #5
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
I use / sell SeaSafe life jackets, you can get these personalised ! they have zip fit inspection of bottle.

the green safety indicator is pretty brittle by design but some may be more than others.

For £9.95 + consumables, a jacket SeaSafe based IOW will service your jacket - you can drop these into a local service centre and they will send to SeaSafe on your behalf.

I just happens - I am a Service Station in Scotland !

http://www.seasafe.co.uk/lifejacket_...rogues_gallery

The Rouged Gallery if Lifejackets.

RNLI Guides on Lifejackets

http://www.sprmarine.co.uk/content/u...fety-info.html

regards

S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2166056869.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	75388  
Old 11 January 2013, 15:51   #6

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
For information PFD stands for Personal Floatation Device - this is a generic term used to describe both Lifejackets and Buoyancy aids.

The main difference between a lifejacket and buoyancy aids is that a lifejacket is designed to turn an unconscious person face up on entering the water.

A buoyancy aid is not guaranteed to do this and is as the name describes, an aid to keeping you afloat.
Old 11 January 2013, 16:54   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
I use / sell SeaSafe life jackets, you can get these personalised ! they have zip fit inspection of bottle.

the green safety indicator is pretty brittle by design but some may be more than others.

For £9.95 + consumables, a jacket SeaSafe based IOW will service your jacket - you can drop these into a local service centre and they will send to SeaSafe on your behalf.

I just happens - I am a Service Station in Scotland !

Rogues Gallery

The Rouged Gallery if Lifejackets.

RNLI Guides on Lifejackets

Useful Downloads - RNLI Sea Safety Leaflets - Rescue Laser Flares & Sea Safety

regards

S.
Hi Scott, WoW I can't believe the state of some of them LJ in Rogues Gallery that's a real eye opener

BTW what are the bladders like on the SeaSafe models, I also like the zip to check the gas bottle.
Old 11 January 2013, 18:02   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
A buoyancy aid is not guaranteed to do this and is as the name describes, an aid to keeping you afloat.
As a technical point a lifejacket is not guaranteed to do so either. it has been tested to do so with a dummy (no clothes IIRC) in a pool of calm water. It might turn you over but it might not and your loved ones won't even get the money back on the jacket if it doesn't.
Old 11 January 2013, 18:18   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
As a technical point a lifejacket is not guaranteed to do so either. it has been tested to do so with a dummy.
That will come as a relief to the OP
Old 11 January 2013, 18:36   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That will come as a relief to the OP
Very funny
Old 11 January 2013, 19:27   #11

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Rogues gallery, half out gas bottles are rusty well before teaching expiry, and when replaced at that point they have all worked fine.
Old 11 January 2013, 19:37   #12
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Rogues gallery, half out gas bottles are rusty well before teaching expiry, and when replaced at that point they have all worked fine.
the problem with rusty bottled is that they are rough and will start to corrode lifejacket bladder.

Best practice is to replace, when rusty starts to appear or try even to prevent this happening...

I strongly suggest that anybody that has not attended RNLI lifejacket clinic event , contact your local sea safety officer to find next or request for a chat...

They are a few RNLI sea safety folk lurking here, including myself...

Regards

S.
Old 11 January 2013, 20:02   #13
SPR

Quote:

BTW what are the bladders like on the SeaSafe models, I also like the zip to check the gas bottle.
Good quality - and they are made in great Britian
Old 11 January 2013, 20:13   #14

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Further to Pete's post;-

We use the Parmaris Raiders. They are great value jackets and extremely good quality. As has already been said, they are used continuously for 7 months and off and on for the rest of the year. Over the 2 years we keep them, inspections/overhauls have only ever found rust on the gas cylinders.
For crew use we use the Crewsaver 190N which are worn 8hours a day for 7 months and again a great jacket.
On both, the bladders are made from a light but strong material that is like a strong nylon sail cloth.
Regards
Steve
Old 11 January 2013, 21:23   #15

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Noticed on some of gas types the stole/ bladder was fine but the oral inflation tube had started to crack or part or leak where it fits onto the bladder Then there's the common wear holes that can start to appear on the tight corners if its the type that has folds (press studs ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-999196978.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	75395   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2587633054.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	75396  
Old 11 January 2013, 21:31   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Noticed on some of gas types the stole/ bladder was fine but the oral inflation tube had started to crack or part or leak where it fits onto the bladder Then there's the common wear holes that can start to appear on the tight corners if its the type that has folds (press studs ).
That's exactly what I am trying to get across most LJ seem to be badly designed and to say that your life depends on them the workman ship is sh*te. Also the price you can pay for them you would expect more for your money.
Old 12 January 2013, 10:08   #17

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
That's exactly what I am trying to get across most LJ seem to be badly designed and to say that your life depends on them the workman ship is sh*te. Also the price you can pay for them you would expect more for your money.
+ 1 Kerny I've just ordered two new lifejackets which when they arrived I was dissapointed in, they are supposed to comfortable to wear all day but I found them heavy after only a few minutes. When I opened the jacket up to check the gas cannister etc it was like a nightmare re-packing it, which does not bode well for future use. Also, I ordered 2 replacement gas kits to keep on the rib, just in case, both of which have expiry dates for dec 2014. I'm ringing up to day to organise sending them back, shame really as they are not cheap LJ's, I was hoping for better to be honest
Old 12 January 2013, 12:47   #18

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
hey kerny, im thinking you are just heay handed - wasnt it you that broke the plastic connector on the back of your chartplotter?
Old 12 January 2013, 12:54   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
hey kerny, im thinking you are just heay handed - wasnt it you that broke the plastic connector on the back of your chartplotter?
erm that's another issue..

Still say that most LJ are built like sh*te.
Old 12 January 2013, 13:04   #20
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
erm that's another issue..

Still say that most LJ are built like sh*te.
thats why they call em floaters see Kerny, you would've thought they'd use all the best material though.