Old 29 May 2011, 10:51   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Poole to Felixstowe - advice

I'm planning to cruise with my family from Poole on the 13th August and visiting friends in Felixstowe (in fact they live on the Deben, I know that bit fairly well).

I've done years of local boating but this will be the longest trip I've attempted and I'll be in unfamiliar waters after the forts in the solent !!

My boat is a 6.8m commercial spec ribcraft and I feel reasonably confident in it, I've covered basic route planning in RYA courses that I've completed (2 and 3) so I'm familiar with route planning enough to gauge weather, fuel, tides and time. I have a GPS, VHF and all the usual safety equipment(lifejackets and flares).

I think I'll take two days (it looks like 365km's) and stay overnight, does anyone have a recommendation for stop overs on the way ? or indeed any ideas or cautionary tips ?

Along the way I'll take photos a post a trip/cruise report at the end to let you know how it went.

Incidentally if there is anyone interested in accompanying me with their own boat then they'd be more than welcome

Thanks
Old 29 May 2011, 15:46   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
100 Nautical miles is a long way per day, though your half way point will be near Eastbourne which is a lovely marina (sovereign Harbour).

Be wary of Selsey Bill, I suggest going wide.

Obviously lots of shipping in the Solent and Thames Estuary, so be super wary of that (cue a chance for me to flog you an AIS receiver).

It should be a good trip, lots of interesting stuff to see on the way too.
Old 29 May 2011, 17:39   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
This is a very easy trip and can be done in a long day if you get the weather right. Don't worry about tides as none of them will affect you. From Poole come into the Solent from the Needles and line up with a mark the Southern side of Horse Sand Fort. The next nav point will be the looe channel. This is a very narrow channel just off of Selsey point. Follow the coast along and plan for a nights stop in Ramsgate where there is petrol on the quayside.
I am assuming that you have a chart plotter so follow the inside route over the Goodwin Sands and across the Wash. From there it is straight up and although the North Sea isn't my favourite place it is relatively an easy passage. Alan P
Old 29 May 2011, 21:03   #4

Thanks for the tips guys. Alan,easy ? yes easy for you to say !!actually I did consider doing it in one hit with refuelling only stops but we'll have the family on board and it's a holiday after all. Spotted The Looe and I'll study up for the rest.
Old 31 May 2011, 19:34   #5

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
I did this trip some years ago- actually Alderney to Harwich with an overnight stop in Dover

As said fuel in Eastbourne and Ramsgate;Eastbourne did not charge for locking in if you purchased fuel at that time

try to avoid wind over tide on leasving Ramsgate because the Estuary kicks up lumpy short waves in those conditions and North Foreland can be uncomfortable

used Fishermans Gat and Black Deep which are ok-positive identification of buoys because some of the channels are close together but divided by hard sand!
Old 05 June 2011, 20:39   #6

Thanks also Phil. I noticed the sand bars, was quite surprised to see this so far off shore. Really appreciate the replies. Any b & b recommendations ?
Old 09 June 2011, 08:58   #7

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
As a Kent local, I would reccomend a 2 night stop - because you have a family onboard, and I think you are being too ambitious. If you were relocating then a one stop would be a long day.Its roughly 95 miles to Eastbourne and 60 miles to Ramsgate and then 40 miles to Felixstowe.

Take your time and assume nothing. The waves between Folkestone and Deal can really lump up, and off Dover can get very large in a moderate wind against tide. The Thames estuary is relatively shallow and generates a short chop, similar to a Solent chop, so can make progress lumpy. I usually go inshore the Goodwins. Beware the London array windfarm and avoid the area around the Sunk LV, for some reason it can lump up really horrible around there with alot of commercial traffic.

Just my thoughts.
Tim.
Old 09 June 2011, 09:03   #8

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
As a Kent local, I would reccomend a 2 night stop.
As an ex-Kent I agree

Poole to Brighton is about 70nm and thenst to Dover is about the same again.

100nm is a long way in a day and asking a lot of the weather.
Old 10 June 2011, 21:19   #9

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll plan for a two night stop and if the weather allows us to do it swifter then we'll do just that. To test the familys endurance i took them from Poole, round the isle of wight and back on sunday. Not too much complaining went on as long as i kept passing round the biscuits, it was f5 and raining mostly. After half a day in the boat
we felt ok at 20/25 knots