Old 15 July 2011, 21:05   #1

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Poole – Things to do?

We’ve been launching from Baiter slipway in Poole harbour and spending a day out on the water. So far we have been fishing off Bournemouth, been to Joe’s Café for a pasty and seen Harry’s Rocks. But my question is what am I missing? Especially places to go for lunch.

Any advice would be great
Old 16 July 2011, 07:21   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Slip round to swanage and pick up a mooring, quite a few lunch spots there, head up Wareham river as you can find a pub there. We often take a picnic and anchor in the shallows by pottery pier on brownsea, you can wade ashore and enjoy the scenery and peacocks, same at Arne by the waterski area at the eastern end as this is a nice picnic spot too. This week end is probably not ideal conditions for al fresco dining though ! Have you made it to Lymington or Yarmouth yet ?
Old 16 July 2011, 12:17   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
24th July - RNLI funday at Mudeford - cruise along the front turn left ..and you are there !

Look in the old RNLI station east end of the quay ?

Seahorses ?

Swanage for a drink, lunch etc and as said a picnic on the beach at Arne is great ( did 2 weeks ago !)

Pete
Old 17 July 2011, 10:44   #4

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Hi cgf10, Swanage looks like an idea place to go.

As the kids are growing up fast and the whole family is taking an interest in ribbing, Wareham river, Brownsea and Arne look ideal for a family day out.

We have launched from Lymington before and we did a trip from Poole to Yarmouth a few weeks ago, I also went on the Nacho Run in Jan where we went to the Wheatsheaf.

HI Pete, unfortunately we have every weekend booked up now until middle of August so won’t be able to make the RNLI fun day but it looks like Swanage will be our next trip (weather permitting).

Is there any wind / tide conditions to look out for when planning this trip as I’ve seen it quite lumpy round that way when across to Bournemouth and IOW was almost flat?

Thanks Alex
Old 17 July 2011, 11:56   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Hi cgf10, Swanage looks like an idea place to go.

Is there any wind / tide conditions to look out for when planning this trip as I’ve seen it quite lumpy round that way when across to Bournemouth and IOW was almost flat?

Thanks Alex
Once you pass Old Harry you usually turn the corner into the regular westerly wind so it can make a big difference to the sea state and the instant change can be a little un-nerving sometimes but your in a rib so probably perfectly safe and once you turn into Swange Bay properly its often much much calmer. The usual caveats apply over safety.

In the summer there is a water taxi operating in Swanage renting moorings on the far western side and taking you ashore once you've tied on. Tip - we drop our crew off on the pier then I take the boat to a mooring, that way you only pay for one person on the water taxi, watch out for fishing lines on the pier.