Old 22 January 2014, 19:04   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Poole marinas

Am having (another!) re-think .... really struggling to find suitable RIB, My original first choice was Avon 5.6M However recently viewed one and have real concerns regarding towing/storage, started looking around for something 5M ish but no luck to date and not much really appeals or ticks the boxes, Now pondering if to go with Avon 5.6M and use marina. This really goes against my principles as I’ve always argued that, You’re stuck with the same bit of water, far more difficult to do routine maintenance/clean/refuel etc also increased running cost but perhaps it’s something I should consider rather than compromising boat. Would be looking Poole harbour area, not particularly bothered about facilities as long as there is decent slip, fresh running water and secure storage. Was wondering about the one on Shell bay road? Cobbs is the obvious choice but so far from harbour entrance and bet they know how to charge!

Any recommendations, experience or general advise??
Old 22 January 2014, 19:35   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
A Avon 5.6 should be fairly easy to tow and launch behind most family sized cars. I however think you will get far more use from it if you don't have the hassle of having to launch/recover every time and you still have the option on putting it on the trailer if you want to go further afield. Have you considered a dry stack (such as Cobbs Quay) as opposed to a marina berth? This is likely to the cheaper, no anti-foul needed, easier maintenance and less wear on the boat.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2014, 19:36   #3

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
Your engine will probably disappear at shell bay!
Old 22 January 2014, 22:03   #4

Length: no boat
It's about £450 to leave the boat in wareham Redcliffe campsite.
But that's right up the end of Poole harbour and will take about an hour out to harbour entrance.
Quite tidal on the entrance to the river too.Also out of season the slipway is blocked and the compound blocked in too. So no access to the boat whatsoever!

Rockley park was about 2k last time I checked.

Cobbs quay is £50.00 each time to use the slip and about 2k ish just to leave it on the trailer.
Dry stack I think is 3k.

Don't know about the others.

There is also storage in a compound in wareham for about £50.00 a month but it's 2 miles from nearest slip.

In short it's very expensive and I would tow each time myself.
After all ribs are easy to launch and recover.

There area few storage places in Christchurch which are cheaper.

Dunno if that helps
Old 22 January 2014, 22:13   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Rockley is seriously expensive- I wouldn't bother. When mine was in there, they didn't even have enough water pressure to flush a motor either.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2014, 22:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Rockley is seriously expensive- I wouldn't bother. When mine was in there, they didn't even have enough water pressure to flush a motor either.
I asked one winter for a friend and they said they could do a special deal. £950 for 3 months.
Great rockley park! :-)
Old 22 January 2014, 22:53   #7

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribandmotorhome View Post
It's about £450 to leave the boat in wareham Redcliffe campsite. But that's right up the end of Poole harbour and will take about an hour out to harbour entrance. Quite tidal on the entrance to the river too.Also out of season the slipway is blocked and the compound blocked in too. So no access to the boat whatsoever! Rockley park was about 2k last time I checked. Cobbs quay is £50.00 each time to use the slip and about 2k ish just to leave it on the trailer. Dry stack I think is 3k. Don't know about the others. There is also storage in a compound in wareham for about £50.00 a month but it's 2 miles from nearest slip. In short it's very expensive and I would tow each time myself. After all ribs are easy to launch and recover. There area few storage places in Christchurch which are cheaper. Dunno if that helps
I tow and launch my Avon 5.6m. I reckon around 30 - 40 mins from arriving in the car to leaving the dock, and about the same coming back. The great thing is that you do not feel obliged to use it every weekend to get your money's worth, and you have it at home to do all those fiddly jobs on. Downside is you probably use it less because of the extra hassle.
Old 22 January 2014, 23:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post

I tow and launch my Avon 5.6m. I reckon around 30 - 40 mins from arriving in the car to leaving the dock, and about the same coming back. The great thing is that you do not feel obliged to use it every weekend to get your money's worth, and you have it at home to do all those fiddly jobs on. Downside is you probably use it less because of the extra hassle.
I often get down on a Friday night and I often launch my Avon 4.25m that night.
Then leave it on the anchor when not using it till the Sunday evening.
Takes a lot of hassle away as the slipway is empty etc etc.
I have moored and stored boats in the past but as mentioned before, I felt the need to go down etc.
For me it's much better at home, if I'm not using it I'm not paying out! :-)
But that's just me and I have plenty of room at home for storage.
Old 23 January 2014, 07:52   #9

I would recomend spending some time and work out costs as best you can on the various options plus running costs fuel etc depending upon how much you will be using your rib, as this will potentially have an impact on your thoughts.

If for example your going to use your rib a lot then paying the extra for dry stack at cobbs quay may not be as expensive as you think when you consider that cobbs is an MDL marina and as such you will get fuel at cost price. This really does make a difference over a years boating. If you consider the other options for fuel in Pool Harbour is really down to 2 other places, the fuel barge which is expensive and people have had contaminated fuel from there and the other Salterns marina which is just a damn rip off in terms of price of fuel then the mdl cobbs dry stack may be more economical in the long run, plus you then have benefit of no hassle to launch, marina facilities, available work racks when you want to do some work on yer boat, discount off marina services, secure compound as gates are locked in the evening, plus with the mdl membership you can visit and stay in other MDL marinas at no cost (depending upon which MDL marina), and of course poole gives access to Jurrassic Coast, Christchurch, ISle OF Wight, Bucklers Hard, Lymington, Southampton, Solent, etc etc all within easy reach by boat.

So the extra money spent on a marina dry stack at cobbs may well make economic and practicle sense in the end.
Old 23 January 2014, 07:59   #10

Fuel barge in poole was gone last year! Don't think it's coming back
Old 23 January 2014, 08:22   #11

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Fuel barge has been sold for scrap, so it certainly won't be coming back! Fuel is, however, also available in Poole at Parkstone Bay Marina (although currently only landside for their dry stack customers as the result of the lifting for the winter of the pontoons which give waterside access). Parkstone Bay is a good option to consider for dry-stacking in Poole since, although with some access restrictions at low spring tides, it is considerably closer to the harbour entrance than Cobbs Quay and they are about to start taking new applications for berths for this year.
Old 23 January 2014, 08:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Fuel barge has been sold for scrap, so it certainly won't be coming back! Fuel is, however, also available in Poole at Parkstone Bay Marina (although currently only landside for their dry stack customers as the result of the lifting for the winter of the pontoons which give waterside access). Parkstone Bay is a good option to consider for dry-stacking in Poole since, although with some access restrictions at low spring tides, it is considerably closer to the harbour entrance than Cobbs Quay and they are about to start taking new applications for berths for this year.
It was on eBay in Southampton.
Advertised as a work barge ripe for house boat conversation!
Sold for daft money!
Old 23 January 2014, 09:52   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I kept mine at Davis yard ( next to Cobbs) on its trailer for a summer.

Easy to launch , taps etc , little cafe at the end - I found it quite pleasant . Its the same trip under the bridges & the slip is tidal .

It was a fraction ( half ish from memory) of what Cobbs quay wanted .
Old 23 January 2014, 12:27   #14

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Thanks for comments guys as always very useful

Couple very interesting points and will be sending some of you PM's later
Old 23 January 2014, 14:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I was originally at parketsone bay marina but found the access issues with tides a complete pain in the back side and restricted my boating time on many occasions hence why I moved to cobbs quay.