Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 December 2008, 06:23   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Are they being a little more on the ball due to the whole Mumbai attacks - arrived by what seemed to be a large ( if slightly knackered) SIB ? If so good job.

As said you can get damn close. A big RIB at 50+ knts filled with nutters / bombs could be virtually unstoppable on the thames.

I'm not sure the cops have anything that coudl get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 07:01   #12
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Are they being a little more on the ball due to the whole Mumbai attacks - arrived by what seemed to be a large ( if slightly knackered) SIB ? If so good job.

As said you can get damn close. A big RIB at 50+ knts filled with nutters / bombs could be virtually unstoppable on the thames.

I'm not sure the cops have anything that coudl get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
I'm not so sure they couldnt stop you at 50knts ....surprising what the police have at their disposal, a simple net would have you stopped pretty quick.......the hard bit would be who makes the desicion to GO in case its innocents like what has happened before ... a bit like high speed car chases, a desicion has to be made whether or not to chase in case of hurtiing themselves or bystanders

considering what happened in Mumbai i'm glad they take an interest in strange vessels..


I
__________________

__________________
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 07:53   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Are they being a little more on the ball due to the whole Mumbai attacks - arrived by what seemed to be a large ( if slightly knackered) SIB ? If so good job.

As said you can get damn close. A big RIB at 50+ knts filled with nutters / bombs could be virtually unstoppable on the thames.

I'm not sure the cops have anything that coudl get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
Fair enough. But there are a couple of flaws in implementation:

1) I had actually been past Parliament before I was stopped, between Blackfriars and the Millenium Bridge
2) Having stopped my SIB and observed the entire contents of the boat (two middle aged men, 8hp Yamaha, fuel tank, chart wallet) what the point of taking my details?

It reminded me of the police presence at Waterloo station – it always comprises small groups of CSO’s chatting to each other. They are oblivious to much of what goes on.
__________________
hobnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 08:41   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
Fair enough. But there are a couple of flaws in implementation:

1) I had actually been past Parliament before I was stopped, between Blackfriars and the Millenium Bridge
2) Having stopped my SIB and observed the entire contents of the boat (two middle aged men, 8hp Yamaha, fuel tank, chart wallet) what the point of taking my details?

It reminded me of the police presence at Waterloo station – it always comprises small groups of CSO’s chatting to each other. They are oblivious to much of what goes on.
Couldn't agree more - comparing Bombay to here is crazy.

India has always had a problem with this sort of terrorism due to the partioning of kashmir etc.

The IRA were one of the most organised terrorist groups anywhere and they DID launch an attack on Downing Street. We weren't treated like this in those days!!!

Back in 2000 there WAS a rocket attack on the MI6 headquarters which is right on the banks of the Thames.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/934937.stm

They didn't start targetting 2 blokes in a dinghy then.

Give the Police extra powers and they WILL abuse them - as witnessed in the Damian Green fiasco!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 08:46   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
The MI6 building also got targeted by that bint in the Sunseeker, but James put paid to her!
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 09:22   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
OK - you probably can stop a boat going quick , but can the cops respond that quick ? ( excluding missiles etc ) If thay can only stop a boat with 8hp after its gone past what could they realistically do ( apart from so you for speeding !) ? I reckon we will be raided for even posting on the thread topic, all under the counter terrorism laws ! - I'm offski !
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 11:29   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
OK - you probably can stop a boat going quick , but can the cops respond that quick ? ( excluding missiles etc ) If thay can only stop a boat with 8hp after its gone past what could they realistically do ( apart from so you for speeding !) ? I reckon we will be raided for even posting on the thread topic, all under the counter terrorism laws ! - I'm offski !
Mumbai might justify ‘taking action,’ and I don’t disagree with the idea of a Standard Operating Procedure of investigating all marine craft.

However it still ends up with my name on database, as a person who has been checked in relation to the prevention of terrorism. As said above, it dilutes attention away from actual Al-Quaeda members.

Gets a bureaucrat to put a tick in the Government box, though.

PS. The conversation was more polite than my brief report showed.
__________________
hobnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 11:30   #18
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I'm not sure the cops have anything that could get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
Given the way the Home Secretary acted over the Police pay rise last year there may not be too many Police officers wanting to stop someone doing a Guy Fawkes on the H of P. They would be better off taking photos of the attack and flogging them to fleet street.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 11:59   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
However it still ends up with my name on database, as a person who has been checked in relation to the prevention of terrorism. As said above, it dilutes attention away from actual Al-Quaeda members.
if your treatment was not consistent with this: http://www.met.police.uk/stopandsearch/what_is.htm including being advised of your rights (and the right not to provide your name and address) then you could write to the met asking them to destroy all records of their unauthorised stop and search! Of course that may mean next time you are on the thames they decide that you deserve even more thorough attention.
Quote:
Gets a bureaucrat to put a tick in the Government box, though.
well that keeps pen pushers in jobs which is good for the ecconomy
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2008, 12:43   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
if your treatment was not consistent with this: http://www.met.police.uk/stopandsearch/what_is.htm including being advised of your rights (and the right not to provide your name and address)
I got no paperwork, and very little of the protocol in that interesting link to Stop and Search. Never mind - maybe the law of the sea is different!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
well that keeps pen pushers in jobs which is good for the ecconomy
Well I work most of the year to pay income tax, NI, duty, council tax, and VAT. I must be in the wrong part of the economy - got any cushy jobs Gordon? 6 million employees can't be wrong!
__________________

__________________
hobnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.