Old 27 May 2011, 13:05   #61

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Kraken 999 . I hope you didnt take my comments personally.
These are my experiences how i see them , having been bought up in an urban environment and the social issues associated with urban life , it toughens you up somewhat , crime is prevalent in this area , and its a difficult area to police i`m sure .

Gone are the days when you could leave anything unattended anywhere , it appears that organised theives head toward the more rural areas now to commit, as its harder for them to make a living for them in the more urban setting .

As you say there is good and bad in all walks of life , but in the same breath in this neck of the woods there tends to be more of the bad , every other vehicle is a scrap man in a beat up old van, watching out for anything lying around , and will willingly take it whether it its wanted by the owner or not .

As for your comment on good and bad ribbers/sibbers , i`ll openly admit i belong to the latter category , the reason being its a brand new subject for me , but thats the main reason i am here, and i intend to educate myself fully to safe practice of it , and intend on taking various courses available to me .

Its sad that the Met face cutbacks on staff as the crime rates are soaring and the credit and jobs situation creates more criminals, and can understand the frustration of an officer that does have a heart .
Old 27 May 2011, 13:07   #62

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
i can only speak from personal experience but when i spoke with the Local Marine police team (Hamble) i was pleasantly surprised at his approach to my concerns and gave some interesting advise and guidance on protection of marine property at a time of particular concern.

Interestingly, he got hold of my details as i had e mailed the local inspector and community team and received no reply. he took it upon himself to call me (and i do admit at first i was very pissed off to the lack of reply from the police as a whole) so when i first spoke i was perhaps more aggrieved than anything else!

Marine crime (or any crime) is not new and in the most part, policing will be reactive rather than proactive. It therefore falls upon us as owners to protect our property as much as possible and as has been said many times before, Boat security is way behind the times in terms of technology. Seriously, does anyone think a wheel clamp is going to be an effective deterrent to jim crim??

When will engine manufacturers consider immobilizers for inboard / outboard units? could boat builders not build in a tracker at the production stage? GPS tracking is used to such an extent footballers train with a tracking device so their performance can be assessed after. there must be a cost effective tracking method for boats somewhere?
Old 27 May 2011, 13:29   #63

Town: Cornwall
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMO View Post
Kraken 999 . I hope you didnt take my comments personally.
Absolutely not. I share the same frustrations as you. Of course I'm blessed to work in a low crime area which affords me the opportunity to devote more time to particular issues. Would I want to do the job in your neck of the woods? Possibly not.

Regards.
Old 27 May 2011, 13:44   #64
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
most part, policing will be reactive rather than proactive.
Why is that the case?, If there is no commitment to respond to then they should be pro-active at ALL TIMES and re-active when a live incident is reported.
Old 27 May 2011, 15:25   #65

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Why is that the case?, If there is no commitment to respond to then they should be pro-active at ALL TIMES and re-active when a live incident is reported.
your quite right in what you say. pro active would be showing a presence, asking questions and talking to people. i agree there and they should be doing that all the time. what they cant do is arrest someone before they commit a crime as there is nothing to arrest them for!

what i was getting at is, crime will occur. its a sad fact of life and the police will respond to that crime. unfortunately we will always be one step behind the criminals to a greater of lesser extend. in that respect, policing will be reactive.
Old 01 June 2011, 12:25   #66
RIBnet supporter

An example of what we are worried about . Just left Hamble river and two youngsters bashing around in small 3-4 metre rib showing no respect to kit. Marine police launch coming up river ignored them but it should have been checked and if ok then advise about boat handling. Yes half term but how do they know if they don't ask
Old 01 June 2011, 19:30   #67
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
An example of what we are worried about . Just left Hamble river and two youngsters bashing around in small 3-4 metre rib showing no respect to kit. Marine police launch coming up river ignored them but it should have been checked and if ok then advise about boat handling. Yes half term but how do they know if they don't ask

Ian:

(1) Is it now a criminal offence to mistreat your own property (or those of your parents with their permission)? If not then what's the basis for harassing some young people enjoying themselves. If their actions were genuinely suspicious you would presumably have spoken to the police (either by phone or in person).

(2) How would you suggest 2 teenagers legitimately on board a vessel prove they are there with authority? How do you suggest that the marine police verify this? How much time should they spend on this (bearing in mind that we are all paying for them to do their job).

(3) Have the marine police replaced the RYA training schools, and become the guardians of good boat handling?

Perhaps you could have been a bit more "big society" and offered to show the kids how to get better control of their boat?
Old 01 June 2011, 19:33   #68

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Old 01 June 2011, 19:44   #69
RIBnet supporter

Polwart- I expect the police to be pro-active and engaging with the marine community as that is their role. I dont expect them to bully- jump on kids, I would like to see the local police make an effort to show they care about all our concerns as this area has had and still has a theft problem and reponses and observations here suggest the police are not doing what we expect of them, just an observation after recent events and poor comms from the officers and also their chief of police. Last words maybe as it appears asking the local marine police to join in has failed
Old 01 June 2011, 19:56   #70

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Polwart- I expect the police to be pro-active and engaging with the marine community as that is their role. I dont expect them to bully- jump on kids, I would like to see the local police make an effort to show they care about all our concerns as this area has had and still has a theft problem and reponses and observations here suggest the police are not doing what we expect of them, just an observation after recent events and poor comms from the officers and also their chief of police. Last words maybe as it appears asking the local marine police to join in has failed
I'm with you... asking does not hurt
Old 02 June 2011, 06:59   #71

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
(1) Is it now a criminal offence to mistreat your own property.

(2) How would you suggest 2 teenagers legitimately on board a vessel prove they are there with authority?

(3) Have the marine police replaced the RYA training schools.
If they had the time... It might have been an option for them to pass close to the boat and give them a hand signal to slow/calm down, this would also have given them chance to use their highly tuned spider sense to see if there was anything suspicious about the setup. That covers 1 & 2.

No.3. If they felt it appropriate they could have taken a couple of details and passed them on to the RYA area contact, they would have been more than pleased to suggest to the kids or parents that a little safety training goes a long way. If there is no point of contact or protocol that allows this the suggestion could have been made to the local Coasties, who most certainly do have the wherewithal to inform and advise.
Old 02 June 2011, 11:13   #72

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Sorted!

Design a speed camera that only works on cars towing boattrailers, then we'll get a raft of resources thown at it
Old 02 June 2011, 21:17   #73
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Be careful what you wish for!
Old 02 June 2011, 21:31   #74
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Be careful what you wish for!
There's already some set so they only pick up high vehicles. There's one on the A420 at Kingston Bagpuise.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2011, 09:00   #75

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Being out on the water a fair bit I've seen the marine police hop from one place to another. I've seen the same boat in four different moorings on the same day. You might think good they're getting about. But each time they have been drinking tea in the wheelhouse. Come to think of it I've never seen them pull anybody up. I would like to see there activity logs

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 03 June 2011, 09:44   #76
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Being out on the water a fair bit I've seen the marine police hop from one place to another. I've seen the same boat in four different moorings on the same day. You might think good they're getting about. But each time they have been drinking tea in the wheelhouse. Come to think of it I've never seen them pull anybody up. I would like to see there activity logs

Biffer -they didn't join the marine section to be making arrests and dealing with criminals. If you start stopping people there is a risk you'll have to lift them (admittedly probably more likely for breach of the peace because they are p**sed off at being pointlessley stopped - than for an actual crime). Once you make an arrest you'll spend the next few hours filling in paperwork at the office rather than splaying on the boat.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:04   #77

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
True enough. It poses a question. If they don't do anything what's the point of having them

Old 03 June 2011, 10:21   #78

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
each time they have been drinking tea in the wheelhouse. Come to think of it I've never seen them pull anybody up. I would like to see there activity logs

Well once they have done the crossword , they make up the logs while the tea cools enough to drink ......or am I just being cynical ?
Old 03 June 2011, 10:42   #79

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Do Marine Police have a KFC bucket holder on their utility belt like our local CSO?
Old 09 June 2011, 09:02   #80

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Hats off to Hampshire Constabulary: On Tuesday night we were driving back from London to the workshop with a Rib on the back, got to Park Gate and passed a patrol car. He swung round and followed for a bit before pulling us over on Botley Road. Nothing wrong with the load, just a routine check as a lot of Ribs had been stolen recently. He was very apologetic and I quickly told him he had no reason to be sorry for pulling us over as it’s great to see the police being pro-active after the recent spate of Rib thefts.