Old 04 December 2002, 12:59   #1

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Plymouth Uni

Hi Just wondering how many people their are on the forum that either went to, go to or are linked to Plymouth Uni. Their seem to be loads of us!
Old 04 December 2002, 13:13   #2

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
I didn't go to Plymouth uni but spent a large chunk of my life in the Royal Citadel on the Hoe there, I guess you know where that is. I don't know when you were there but there is no doubt I would have met met a lot of your fellow students on the odd well behaved night out in Union Street!

Pete
Old 04 December 2002, 13:34   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Loads

Me (87-90 Marine Studies), Tiger, Manos, errmm Karl T is still there I think. Sure there was 5 of us but kinda losing the plot, sorry!

The RIB.NET gathering scheduled for Plymouth is also going to be a Plymouth Poly/UoP alumni gathering it would seem.

Also, "Well Behaved" and "Union street" are not two phrases I thought I'd see together in a sentence. "Union Street" and "Soddom and Gomorrah" would be more like it. The popular urban myth from my time in Plymouth was that should one be enjoying a beverage or nine on Union street and one got into a fracas with some Navy types (probably wouldn't survive a fracas with the marines ) one would be thrown in the back on the Naval Provost paddy wagon with aforesaid Naval types and chucked in the cells in HMS Rayleigh. And they'd leave working out whether you were Civilian or Navy until the next morning!
Old 04 December 2002, 14:10   #4

Alan,

I thought I had seen you a few times in the back of that hooligan van on the Torpoint ferry, I guessed you weren't helping collect fares!

Did you ever find out during your 'Marine' studies why after 12 pints we all ended up drunk and got picked on by students from Plymouth uni?

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 05:06   #5

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Yes I did went to Plymouth Poly (1980s)

...and I remember the Union Street and the Turkish Kebab shop at the top of the road, there was disco during my time called 'Barbararelas' then does it still exist??
Also there was VICK's Garage oposite the Poly is he still there. I use to take my car there. Cheep, cheep, cheep repair shop
He was a keen fisherman and we use to go out fishing sometimes together.
Well......... I had a great time in Plymouth (specially with the sociology, phycology and biology cources, if you know what I mean ) LOLOL
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2002, 06:54   #6

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Steady on, guys.....this is getting more and more like "friendsreunited" with each passing minute!!!
Old 05 December 2002, 08:32   #7

Two words

Captain Jaspers
Old 05 December 2002, 09:04   #8

Their is Cawsand, Who I think is Roger Collins (who runs rec sailing and Powerboating at the Uni)

Jaspers is good for the the middle of a course.
Old 05 December 2002, 09:19   #9

Alan,
'Captain Jaspers' I was there at the weekend, what a change, it was a barrow when I was there. As for Cawsand what a lovely village, but was destroyed by outsiders buying up the property at silly prices and driving the poor locals out.

My two words are 'Ivor Dewdney' changed a bit now not so nice.

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 09:24   #10

Yes I remember Jaspers shack by what was then the fishmarket. Big J and a cuppa for ohh about £1.50. Them war the days.....
Old 05 December 2002, 09:37   #11

Town: Brighton
Send a message via ICQ to m_whelan
I am a student there at the moment. With over 150 members, the uni sailing and powerboat club is as strong as ever
Old 05 December 2002, 09:45   #12

I've been fighting the urge to do this but can do so no longer..........

On the UoP sailing & powerboat club website. Please tell me that the description of powerboat trips is a bit of post modern ironic humour and not indicative of quality of spelling from current Plymouth students!

"In the past we have also organize powerboat trips to The Tamar, Torky, Cargreen, Saltash, Newtonfrees, Bovesad and Corsand. We are currently plnning more trips to places like Lew, Salcombe and Dartmouth so look out for notices."

Lew? Torky? Corsand? .... Cor Blimey !
Old 05 December 2002, 09:55   #13

My spelling is crap but the web site was created by someone that has been in a boat twice. It is also just a bit out of date!

What is this Sailing and Powerboat club. Mike U mean the Powerboat and sailing Club!
Old 05 December 2002, 10:32   #14

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Uop

Yes, I am still here studying my books like a good student! And I do occasionally use a dictionary!

Union street is an experience for a quiet Islander type like myself.

As for the Sailing and Powerboat Club at the Uni?

Financially restricted to say the least. The Uni does provide a lot of powerboat courses to HSE divers and the like! About 250 people through PB2 each year. So we must be doing something right.

The website should be updated soon as I understand from this years comittee, but, is likely to have a more sailing slant due to the interests of those involved.

Dave, you can kick some rear end on your return next year!!
Old 05 December 2002, 10:39   #15

That sounds like a good idear. I still have the site and the passwords so i could change it if i could find a spare 5 mins. We will see. U teaching this weekend Karl.
Old 05 December 2002, 12:27   #16

Town: Cheltenham
Those were the days!

The days when the Powerboat club were at there best were 1992 - 1996. There was a huge following, ques to get boats, ques (at 4am) outside student servces to get on Level 4 courses!

Belived to have had the highest number of power instructors working at one establishment durring 1994-96, there were dozens of us.
OK, well, two dozen +.

Unfortunately the current students don't get up to much now, especially as the Student Sailing championships (held in wet and wild November) have moved to Portland harbour.

Not used to heavy weather as over time the experiance has fallen off and they have to keep it safe. (Grant you, there are a couple of exceptions experiance wise)

Combination of lack of people to be taught and the charges that the uni make for sailng / powerboating are running it down.

That said the uni kit is still excellent now it has been modified (polar circles) to the way it should have been on day one, the ribs we (the club) bought have been sold, we raised alot of money and bought alot of kit, which the uni has taken over and sold for its coffers.

As for Jaspers, I like the Jasperiser and a chocolate.
don't forget your 20p for the mug.
Cheap mug!!!

As for union street, they still have civil and military police vans running up the pavement to block the doors as the police pile in, though granted, not the same as my first summer when they sealed the street off at both ends and allowed people to fight for 15 minutes before picking up the pieces.

Gypsy Moth is a good little pub though, still looks like the marines live there. I'm not military, but in Plymouth you always know someone who is / has been, and Union St is not the place to kick off.

Whats the web address for the club now?
I will have a peak

Tiger
Old 05 December 2002, 13:21   #17

The address to the club web site that is out of date is www.sailpower.org.uk

The rules and regulations are killing the power boating. Not allowed out in more than a 5 which is sensible for people that have never been on the water before, but leaves other using their own boats. The equipment needs refresh but the polar circles are very interesting now and completely student proof. The new councils on them make them ideal for their job.

p.s. should be powersail.org.uk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05 December 2002, 13:22   #18

UoP

http://sailpower.org.uk

Thats all true!

They are now charging £70 for a PB2 which I accept in the commercial world is nothing. However for a University it is very steep!!! Although the instructors do get paid very well now ( so i can afford to go to Union street)

The Polar Circles Superb ?Ribs? not inflatable but made of Gas pipe - check the website if you want to see them.

Great for teaching and great in the rough.

I should use one at the rib net conference in May. We could play chicken in them!!!
Old 05 December 2002, 13:25   #19

You could play chicken in a pig no problem with a rib. U could prob play chicken with a tanker and come off better. I have seen one take a lump out of a stone wall on a pb2 course ammazing stuf gas pipe! Problem is that you have to be realy carfull of the slipways don't want to be replacing them to oftern!
Old 05 December 2002, 13:30   #20

Polar Circles

I read an article in Maritime Jourrnal about the polar Circles and their testing. The sponsons are supposedly bullet proof from a range of 2m.

With the british navy and their recent navigational errors lets hope this wont be tested when they do firing practice.

« Goggles | Top | Marine PC's »