Old 19 July 2010, 23:15   #1

Length: under 3m
Please help me indentify this Avon Supersport RIB (PICS!)

My landlord (shes like 90) has agreed to let me have full access to her RIB in exchange for a few chores and helping her with some small projects occasionally. its a great deal, she has a private dock and it just sits there, right outside the house in the bay.

only problem is I dont know how to operate it, or even what it is exactly. She sure as hell doesnt know either.

If anyone has some info on this boat, or an owner/operating manual, or whatever i would need to figure it out, I would be very grateful. If you have any questions just ask and ill see what i can find.

Old 20 July 2010, 05:29   #2

Boat name: Sea Hornet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
Avon 3.45

It was known as a Avon Seasport 345.

Great for sheltered waters but a very wet ride in choppy conditions, even with the missing windscreen fitted. Tends to bury the bow in head seas resulting in gallons of water on your lap.

Quick, manoeuvrable, fun little boat for lakes and sheltered coastal waters.

You will enjoy it I'm sure.

Old 20 July 2010, 06:14   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welvcome!

Nissan engine = Tohatsu. Might find a manual on their website?
Old 20 July 2010, 13:50   #4

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
only problem is I dont know how to operate it, or even what it is exactly. She sure as hell doesnt know either.

If anyone has some info on this boat, or an owner/operating manual, or whatever i would need to figure it out, I would be very grateful. If you have any questions just ask and ill see what i can find.

Have you any boat handling experience? I only ask because you say you don't know how to operate it. Are you planning to service the outboard yourself or have it done professionally because it looks in need of some TLC before I would even attempt to start it (make sure it is in the water before starting). There is corrosion on the outside of the outboard which is fairly easy for a novice to have a go at but what about the inside of the outboard. If it has been stood for a long period it will probably need a new impeller, thermostat, oil change, spark plugs and leads etc. Whatever you decide to do you will get plenty of advice from the wonderful people on RIBnet.
Old 20 July 2010, 13:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
It was known as a Avon Seasport 345.

Great for sheltered waters but a very wet ride in choppy conditions, even with the missing windscreen fitted. Tends to bury the bow in head seas resulting in gallons of water on your lap.

Quick, manoeuvrable, fun little boat for lakes and sheltered coastal waters.

You will enjoy it I'm sure.
haha, it looks like it would dump water on everyone in it. Thats ok, I dont mind, and the vast majority of the time id just be putting around the bay. I'm really looking forward to using it.
Old 20 July 2010, 13:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Welvcome!

Nissan engine = Tohatsu. Might find a manual on their website?
Thanks, I'll see what i can find.
Old 20 July 2010, 14:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post

Have you any boat handling experience? I only ask because you say you don't know how to operate it. Are you planning to service the outboard yourself or have it done professionally because it looks in need of some TLC before I would even attempt to start it (make sure it is in the water before starting). There is corrosion on the outside of the outboard which is fairly easy for a novice to have a go at but what about the inside of the outboard. If it has been stood for a long period it will probably need a new impeller, thermostat, oil change, spark plugs and leads etc. Whatever you decide to do you will get plenty of advice from the wonderful people on RIBnet.
I have minimal boating experience and absolutely zero boat service experience. I figure this little guy is probably about as simple as they come for a beginner (wrong?), and I would love to learn how to take care of it and get it all polished (for as little $ as possible). I plan on taking it to a local shop that deals with RIBs and having them take a look at it and go over whatever issues they find with me. I would love any advice from the forum too I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 20 July 2010, 14:10   #8

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Please make sure you wear a life-jacket! It's very easy to end up in the water....

Not sure if this engine needs a kill-cord (a safety device that is worn by the operator and kills the engine if you fall out). Someone here may know.
Old 21 July 2010, 20:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Please make sure you wear a life-jacket! It's very easy to end up in the water....

Not sure if this engine needs a kill-cord (a safety device that is worn by the operator and kills the engine if you fall out). Someone here may know.
I dont know anything about a kill cord, maybe someone else on the forum can comment?

bump!
Old 22 July 2010, 02:15   #10

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
On the throttle they maybe a little black tab or nipple like button sticking out, a fitting clips onto this allowing the engine to run.
If it all goes a bit t!ts up and you end up going for a swim when you didn't want to it will cut the engine as soon as the cord becomes detatched from the throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yrig1.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	52896   Click image for larger version

Name:	universal-kill-cord.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	52897