Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Plastic jerry cans

I'm looking to buy a couple of plastic jerry cans, 20-25litre. They are for petrol & I'm looking for good quality. Any recommendatons?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 09:08   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Not sure how the costs compare but would "tanks" rather than "cans" be better? Easier to swap over connectors between tanks than syphon. Technically easier to fill up at the petrol station (although they may not understand the difference).
Old 16 July 2011, 09:27   #3

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I was after something similar recently, but the max size plastic can for petrol you're allowed legally is 5l. As Plowart says, if it is a certified tank it can be upto 25-30 litres.

You can get 20 litre plastic cans for derv, but they're not meant for petrol & I'd expect difficulty in filling them at any petrol station - it's hard enough to find those that will alllow you to fill a 25l tank!

I ended up buying - cheap - 6 x 5l petrol cans to top up my internal tank without paying the 50p/litre premium on the local fuel barge.

If you want to fill / carry 25 litres of petrol legally in the one container it'll have to be metal (with all the risks of rust etc).
Old 16 July 2011, 09:41   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'm looking to buy a couple of plastic jerry cans, 20-25litre. They are for petrol & I'm looking for good quality. Any recommendatons?
On the occasions that I required additional "deck stores" of petrol, I used 25L HDPE Hazardous Chemical drums as they were free. They are certainly NOT designed for fuel but are designed to safely transport nasty liquids. I had no problems with them and they withstood many miles lashed to the deck. I decanted them using a siphon to avoid spills. I recently was given a purpose designed HDPE jerry can of about 20 litres - I don't see how it is any safer...

So, if it's for occasional use...?
Old 16 July 2011, 09:42   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
My Searider had two Barrus tanks - these are really heavy duty 'plastic' and hold 25 litres each IIRC? Obviously they were used as tanks not cans but if you just want to store fuel they are ideal.
Old 16 July 2011, 12:14   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
On the occasions that I required additional "deck stores" of petrol, I used 25L HDPE Hazardous Chemical drums as they were free. They are certainly NOT designed for fuel but are designed to safely transport nasty liquids. I had no problems with them and they withstood many miles lashed to the deck. I decanted them using a siphon to avoid spills. I recently was given a purpose designed HDPE jerry can of about 20 litres - I don't see how it is any safer...

So, if it's for occasional use...?
In the developed world he is very likely to run into problems filling your hazardous chemical drums.
Old 16 July 2011, 13:38   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
In the developed world he is very likely to run into problems filling your hazardous chemical drums.
... not least of which would be dealing with my Public Display of Affection toward one so generous!

As regards filling his own, they're not gonna let him fill a plastic 20L can anyway, so he will have to resort to Northern Cunning
Old 16 July 2011, 16:06   #8

RIBase
Thanks for the replies chaps. As I have built in underdeck tanks, using "proper" plug in tanks ain't an option unless I want to start faffing about inserting connectors into my existing fuel lines, which I don't really want to do. A couple of 20l jerry cans will do the job nicely, as for filling them, I find stealth & sudden violence usually does the trick.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 16 July 2011, 16:52   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Plowart
Popular in the States.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plow-art.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	60879  
Old 16 July 2011, 20:48   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I have 4 of These use them all the time, never had an issue filling them.
Old 16 July 2011, 20:55   #11

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Regarding plastic jerry cans, strangely, here is no size restrictions, 20 l is ok as long as it is
approved for gasoline. Have used various models without any issues.

Now with the fixed 70 l tank on my SR i take the whole rig to gas station....tested previous weekend and and no one complained even tough car and trailer combination slightly disturbed normal routing of other cars. Huge price different here also, trying to avoid sea/boat stations, the price on them is terrible.
Old 16 July 2011, 21:04   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
I have 4 of These use them all the time, never had an issue filling them.
Those are a bit nice - I guess you have no problems with them because they LOOK metal on CCTV.

I still like free though...
Old 16 July 2011, 22:03   #13

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda BF30
What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.

Anyone suffering from insomnia can find the cure at Chemicals: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

free
Old 16 July 2011, 22:45   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.

Anyone suffering from insomnia can find the cure at Chemicals: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

free
So as long as I fill these up at the petrol station on my way out & tip them into the boat before I get home, I should be ok then?
Old 17 July 2011, 16:22   #15

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Thanks for the replies chaps. As I have built in underdeck tanks, using "proper" plug in tanks ain't an option unless I want to start faffing about inserting connectors into my existing fuel lines, which I don't really want to do. A couple of 20l jerry cans will do the job nicely, as for filling them, I find stealth & sudden violence usually does the trick.
That's what I use because I'm not happy about plastic cans in the car. Painted mine bright red and wrote 'Petroleum Spirit. Highly Flammable.' on each. AFAIK that makes them legal as a 'suitable container'.

I still try to use the pump furthest away from the kiosk though, and use pay at pump when I can.
Old 17 July 2011, 18:45   #16

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
You can get 20 litre plastic cans for derv, but they're not meant for petrol & I'd expect difficulty in filling them at any petrol station - it's hard enough to find those that will alllow you to fill a 25l tank!
yep ya can get red 20l derv containers here - the practically minded might consider that a way of getting round any probs a UK retailer might have in selling the same product for petrol.

Quote:
I still try to use the pump furthest away from the kiosk though, and use pay at pump when I can
absolutely-the practical way around the old age problem, keep your head down, say nowt and feign ignorance of the law if at any time questioned and look horrified that you may have been breaking the law