Old 06 April 2011, 21:10   #1

Town: Exiled in England!
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Places to launch Oban & Loch Fyne

Hi,

having a few days off work next week so taking a trip to the west coast. Anyone got any recommendations for places to launch? I'm probably going to do a day on Loch Fyne and another round Oban.

Club dive rib used to launch from the campsite near Furnace years ago, is that still open? Any other ideas maybe a bit closer to the head of the loch, Strachur/St Catherines or round by the Oyster place? No info on the one at St Cat's on Boatlaunch.

Same for Oban. Aiming for a trip up the Sound of Mull, I've had Linnhe Marine recommended in the past so was considering there or maybe Dunstaffnage.

Cheers,

Stuart
Old 07 April 2011, 06:28   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardland View Post
Hi,

Same for Oban. Aiming for a trip up the Sound of Mull, I've had Linnhe Marine recommended in the past so was considering there or maybe Dunstaffnage.

Cheers,

Stuart
Either Linnhe Marine or Dunstaffnage Marina would be fine for a Sound of Mull trip. There is a free slipway in Oban (Port Beag, next to the lifeboat station), but nowhere to leave your trailer so a bit more awkward to manage. Or Puffin Dive centre at Gallanach. Or the Lochnell Arms at Connell - but you'll need to get the key from them to get access

There are a couple of places where you could launch off the beach, but I assume from your other thoughts that you're looking for slipways.

If you're heading up the Sound of Mull, be sure to stop at Lochaline for a burger

Have a good trip. We might see you out on the water

Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2011, 08:20   #3

Ta for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
If you're heading up the Sound of Mull, be sure to stop at Lochaline for a burger
The wooden cabin by the ferry? Brilliant little place, Stornoway black pudding on a burger, who'd think that could be so good?
Old 07 April 2011, 08:22   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
As Ian says Puffin dive is a good option for the oban leg if you are heading round the ross of mull. Other option is Ardoran Marine on Loch Feochan - private boatyard with plenty of storage for trailer although you would need to call them first and check they are happy for you to launch.
Old 07 April 2011, 08:22   #5

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
Oops sorry youre going up the sound of mull not ross - apologies!
Old 07 April 2011, 10:12   #6

Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 150
Hi Stuart

On Loch Fyne you can launch at Strachur no problems, its not a poured slipway but the beach was cleared years ago for fish farm use and its very hard packed, you turn right just before the cafe/shop you will see boat trailers etc stored there by the trees. At Cairndow you can ask in at the Fish farm processing site if you can launch there, Ive done it before and its never been a problem, theres a jetty there and a proper slipway. If you want to access the bottom end of the loch or Loch riddon and the Kyles you can either use the Calmac slip at Portavadie or the Lifeboat slip in Tighnabruaich or the small boatyard about half a mile further along the road (think he charges about a fiver).

Hector.
Old 07 April 2011, 10:37   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Depending on tides (assuming you are single handed) The beach by the pier at Taynuilt is useable as a launch. Packed pebbles at the top, at low tide it gets flat & sandy, so if you are on er tod might be more difficult. If tides are right it's not bad. There's some fgood pics on Geograph.

There's also a rudimentary slip by the pier at Port Appin, Tho' I wouldn't suggest using it for much more than an SR4, and I'd use a rope at that, coz I wouldn't trust it with my car. Never used it, just made a mental note of it asd an "emergency recovery" when we stopped for grub.

If you want a bit more of a trip in the boat, there are the two old Ferry slips by the Balachuilish Bridge, but I guess if you're staying near Loch Fyne that's becoming a long drive just to motor back for a day trip........
Old 08 April 2011, 12:05   #8

Thanks very much for the replies, loads of options there.

Cheers,

Stuart