Old 07 February 2007, 16:46   #1

Town: nottingham
Boat name: escape
Length: 7m +
Picton Cobra 8.6

Hi,

I am about to take a plunge on a picton cobra 8.6 with a suzi 300hp.Does any one have any reviews or comments on the boat or the hull etc.I have done a search on the forum with minimal sucess!!

Any help would be greatly recieved (Speed,handling etc!!!)

Thanks!
Old 07 February 2007, 16:57   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
They are nice boats built by a very reputable company that has been trading longer than most. They are good value and have a good resale. They are more a family boat than a nutter's machine but no harm in that.

They don't have as deep a V hull as some which means the ride can be a bit hard but then again a shallower V is easier to drive and doesn't waste so much power.

I would say you will prob get about 50 - 60 mph out of it. Great engine choice for that boat.
Old 07 February 2007, 19:59   #3

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
We had a 7.5 from new with a 225 Yamaha
They always look great
But look at them closely and the build quality is not that good.
Little things like puting the battery on the floor next to the tubes with though floor drainage the water washes round the battery. There are no tube carriers at the rear. check out where the bilge pump is.
An 8.6 with a 300 on is not cheep, and i think there is better value for money out there. Sorry to be negetive but i had one.
Old 07 February 2007, 20:08   #4

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
For the price of that I think I would take my money to Scorpion ribs, I am sure that they would be able to build a pretty good boat for that kind of money. Not owned either but have read enough to know that Scorpion aree number 1.

Freddie
Old 08 February 2007, 05:30   #5

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Hi
I spent months and month looking at cobra ribs, and after a lot of advice i plummed for a scorpion, it didn't cost any more and the ppl there have been brilliant. Sorry to say this but i would keep looking..
Old 08 February 2007, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob View Post
For the price of that I think I would take my money to Scorpion ribs, I am sure that they would be able to build a pretty good boat for that kind of money. Not owned either but have read enough to know that Scorpion aree number 1.

Freddie

Or else they just have the most loyal fan base!!!

Searafting - a Norweigan commercial outfit who posts on here had loads of trouble with their Scorpion and have now changed to Revengers. Alright maybe they abuse them more than most but then they do with the Revengers as well.
Old 08 February 2007, 12:02   #7

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Or else they just have the most loyal fan base!!!

Searafting - a Norweigan commercial outfit who posts on here had loads of trouble with their Scorpion and have now changed to Revengers. Alright maybe they abuse them more than most but then they do with the Revengers as well.
If I throw a stick, will you leave?
Old 08 February 2007, 12:15   #8

Length: 6m +
Quote:
This is a good point - I guess with ribs being the cottage industry they seem, it often comes down to luck of the draw with a boat. Don't think any manufacturer is perfect though!

I think the main issue with the cobra is that, as codprawn has pointed out, it's not as deep a v as many similar sized ribs (Ribcraft, Ribeye, Parker etc). That said, I've done some charter work on a 10.5m Cobra, and I was very pleasantly surprised how well she handled waves.
Old 08 February 2007, 15:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Old 08 February 2007, 17:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Woof Woof!!!
Old 08 February 2007, 19:41   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Woof Woof!!!
Old 12 February 2007, 19:20   #12

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Targa Bay
Make: Fairline Targa 29
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob View Post

Freddie

You must know someone at Scorpion who will do you a nice discount then. I went to their website and specced a similar(ish) boat to the Cobra. It came out at £65k if you add a trailer, electronics, and VAT for the 8.6 with 300hp.

Dave Pictons boat ain't anything like that much and is a turnkey package!

AND... just to stir things up - Scorpions don't look as good!
Old 12 February 2007, 21:20   #13

Dont know how you got it to 65K
Phone Scorpion you will be suprised.
I think its the fact that it is turn key, is why the quality isant upto it.
but what ever extra you spend on a Scorpion you know you will get it back later.
Old 13 February 2007, 06:52   #14

From their website, I took the bare boat and just added the stuff that the Cobra comes with to get a roughly equivalent price comparison.

If you add A-frame, sculptured bench seating, swim ladder etc to the Yamaha 300 price it comes to about £49k. Plus VAT. Add a trailer, some electronics and you are getting to the price I said.

Please understand, I am not having a moan at Scorpion. I know they are very well built, solid boats and have a very loyal following.

What I am saying is that if you were looking at buying a BMW or Audi, and someone came along and said you should buy a Porsche that's fine, but the three are not in the same price bracket and it is not really fair to compare them. After all, not everyone will have the extra £10k to buy the Boxster over the Z4 or TT. You would expect the Porsche to be better built and have a higher resale value, but you are paying for that and it may just be out of reach.

So unless someone would knock off an awful lot from the Scorpion website price, you could not have a Scorpion for the same price as a Cobra - which was my original point.

BTW, how does offering a turnkey package that includes trailer, electronics etc., in any way affect build quality?
Old 13 February 2007, 10:26   #15

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottydog View Post

What I am saying is that if you were looking at buying a BMW or Audi, and someone came along and said you should buy a Porsche that's fine, but the three are not in the same price bracket and it is not really fair to compare them. After all, not everyone will have the extra £10k to buy the Boxster over the Z4 or TT. You would expect the Porsche to be better built and have a higher resale value, but you are paying for that and it may just be out of reach.
I wouldnt say the Scorpion is a particularly clever buy brand new - % depreciation might be okay and better than cobra, but in hard pounds and pence there is a big hit to be taken. Just like a 911 may hold 58% of its value compared to a Audi that holds 40% after three years, 42% depreciation on a big number is worse than 60% on a small one. I'd be surprised if you got more than £40k back after three years on that Scorpion you've specc'd up.

From someone well versed in losing money on cars and boats.
Old 13 February 2007, 13:11   #16

Cobra's seem to hold their value better than most - I know cos I tried to do a deal with Dave Picton and he wouldn't budge. He is very shrewd and if he sees one selling too cheap he buys it back - it is nice to see a manufacturer who cares about residuals - then again he has been around long enough to know the boating world!!!

As 911 says - luxury and good build don't guarantee a good resale - it's a lot to do with the market. That's why a diesel 206 loses less money that an Audi A8 quattro. The A8 can lose as much as £40,000 in 3 years!!!
Old 13 February 2007, 13:57   #17

Quote:
Cobra's seem to hold their value better than most - I know cos I tried to do a deal with Dave Picton and he wouldn't budge. He is very shrewd and if he sees one selling too cheap he buys it back - it is nice to see a manufacturer who cares about residuals - then again he has been around long enough to know the boating world!!!

I agree totally. When I bought mine off him, I asked if he was open to offers - he said he would be happy with anything over the asking price!

Like you say - he wouldn't move an inch.
Old 13 February 2007, 20:50   #18

Quote:
Dave didnt want mine back how ever cheep it was
As for caring about customers i had to take mine back to the factory for warrenty work at my own cost 450 miles round trip twice.
As for turn key ready. well you will get a great suit at M&S but you will get a better one from a Saville Row taylor. I accept the cost issue but i for one would rather have a good second hand Scorpion than a new Cobra.
Sorry i am not knocking other peoples cobra,s just the brand new one i had.
Old 14 February 2007, 05:37   #19

Quote:

As 911 says - luxury and good build don't guarantee a good resale - it's a lot to do with the market. That's why a diesel 206 loses less money that an Audi A8 quattro. The A8 can lose as much as £40,000 in 3 years!!!
I disagree, when I was looking I saw two 8.6m cobra's for sale both were priced around the £30,000 mark and they were only a year or so old. A Scorpion of that age would hold its value better.
There is Scorpion for sale at Lymington for £60000 and its absolutely beautiful!!
http://www.lymingtonmarinesales.co.u...+8.5+00567.pdf
Old 14 February 2007, 06:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I disagree, when I was looking I saw two 8.6m cobra's for sale both were priced around the £30,000 mark and they were only a year or so old. A Scorpion of that age would hold its value better.
There is Scorpion for sale at Lymington for £60000 and its absolutely beautiful!!

I'd be very interested to see where you saw Cobra 8.6's that were one year old for that price!!

The bit about the Scorpion and its price proves my original point exactly.....you cannot buy a new Scorpion for the same price as an equivalent new Cobra - the two are not in the same price bracket...that's what I was saying! Someone said you could and you can't.