Old 26 August 2003, 21:14   #1

Phantom Evo Update

Further to my last request for info on this boat I post my initial findings.
The boat arrived 2 weeks later than expected due to Barrus selling engines without wiring looms or props to suit (The 225 Opti also arrived without the anode for the saddle). Not my fualt claims Neil & I believe him especially as I drove up to Godstone & helped him fit out the boat at 10.30pm on a Saturday night. Thanks Neil. (One week after getting the cash he's still interested enough to phone & threaten to take me out & show me how to drive this boat properly).

Enough said about Neil. The boat is everything I wanted & expected. I does around a true 65mph on the flat & has exceeded my expectations in the rough. You need to get ontop of the rough stuff & skip the wave tops to apriciate this boats potential. It lands straight every time. I feel I will give out before the boat does.

I don't have experience in 10mtr Redbays......but I don't live on the West coast of Ireland either, for the small choppy stuff around the Solent this boat is great if you want to go fast. If you want a sensible anchor locker & lots of storage then look elsewhere.

I find the flash looking consul a bit too attention grabbing at times, but it does the job very well in as much as it streamlines the boat & enables you to see where your going at 65mph. Nice design Neil.

If you want a boat to put a S**t eating grin on your face this is the boat. The Opti is also the engine if you want amazing fuel economy.

For what its worth. Micheal.
Old 26 August 2003, 21:30   #2

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
It sounds fantastic

As a brand new ribber myself (3 weeks now) I know what you mean about the grin although I may not get the speed you get.

I should have dumped my plastic sportsboat years ago now I know what RIBs can do.

I shall look out for you in the solent..what colour is your Phantom Evo?
Old 26 August 2003, 21:40   #3

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Good Luck

Well done Michael, good luck with the boat and happy ribbing, try get some pics up cheers Gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2003, 22:18   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Nice one Michael - sounds like you're enjoying yourself?
Old 27 August 2003, 07:02   #5

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Let see some pictures !!!

Hi Micheal,

Congratulations on your new purchase any chance we can see some pictures of you new love.

Happy Ribbing
Old 27 August 2003, 07:45   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Nice one Michael,

I am glad you are happy with your boat,

I am glad you like your Opti. I have been banging on about them for a long time know and I reckon they are as fuel efficient as 4 strokes when you have got the hammer down. I wouldn't consider putting a different petrol engine on a new boat

I too look forward to seeing you out there, as soon as my leg gets better
Cheers
Old 27 August 2003, 15:35   #7

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
i love the look of these boats, but never hear anything about them, it seems like theyre ignored by most rib shoppers. Is it cause they dont look like a lifeboat (a good thing in my mind) Are they based on the old phantom hull? is it a deep v? Hope to see you out!! Enjoy
Old 27 August 2003, 20:14   #8

Evo Picture

This is the only pic we have at the moment. It was taken at the yard where they are built. We opted to ditch the rear bench seat as it made it impossible to work on the outboard at sea if necessary due to lack of space behind it.

gtflash. It is based on the old Phantom hulls, of which I have had 2 previously both were excellent, although Neil has modified the spray rails. This has improved the turning & made for a dryer ride.
I really liked your question "Is it cause they dont look like a lifeboat". We feel this might very well be true.

Thanks to everybody else who gave us some input on the subject. Hope to see you out oneday.
Old 27 August 2003, 20:16   #9

Evo picture

Sorry no pic, just spent 35mins trying to resize. Can't do it. Will try another day.
Old 27 August 2003, 20:42   #10

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Michael, go here and download Paintstudio - for free. You can use this easy peasy application to re-size pics and post on ribnet
Old 28 August 2003, 10:38   #11

Make: phantom evolution
Engine: outboards
Send a message via AIM to Powerboat Academy
it does what it says on the tin

Micheal, im so pleased you like your new evo 7.5 better late then never (im still waiting for the parts to put your one together) still we got there in the end ,if anyone needs a jump start look out for a red and white evo ribe (the biggest battery iv ever seen !) Yes i
would love to come out and you show me how your boat goes
(not to fast tho i get scared above 45 ) The opti engine as always very good and hates fuel !! The BBQ lamb yet to be tested ?
Thank you Micheal for your understanding and patients and for your lovely phone call when you were out in the boat that night and just had to tell me about it, even the waiter in the restaurant was please to hear all about your news.So to sum it all up i sold another evo rib ,micheal got what he wanted (and had some laughs along the way ) Vodafone made a lot of money!! and yes i cant wait to go out in the boat with micheal and his young lady in the rib and share in there boating fun .

Neil
Old 28 August 2003, 14:43   #12

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Mr phantom evo, ive sent you requests for a brochure. Please can you send them. Ta. Why do you choose mercs over say honda or suzi 4 stroke. How do they compare in fuel etc?? Are the phantoms a hard ride with the streamline tubes??

Micheal seeing as your in the solent, if a guy on a cream and blue regal starts chasing you and waving at you next time your out, id love to bum a quick ride in your new pride and joy... Ive been looking at them for sometime. Have fun
Old 28 August 2003, 17:01   #13

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Sounds like a nice boat, and sounds like you're going to have a LOT of fun with it.

How about a Phantom Evo with a bottle rack?
Old 28 August 2003, 18:26   #14

At last the pic

Here it is chaps. Thanks Charles.