Old 23 October 2008, 03:10   #11
RIBnet admin team
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
A Defender with a proper roof rack will take FAR more than 75kgs!!!
Land Rover give max loading as 75kg. I have seen people do all sorts of silly things, it wouldn't cause me to recommend others to copy them. I have used a 9' steel frame r-rack on the Defender to carry two spare wheels, steel bridging ladders, 40L (non-explosive) fuel etc, long distances off-road (really off road ) and it has a serious effect on handling. I don't recommend trying it at home with 150L of petrol in a roof tank on a Pathfinder. High COG, high risk and on a partial fill, a shifting load with a big pendulum effect. It's just plain nasty and I'd hate to meet it hurrying through a roundabout.

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 06:02   #12
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I agree - i wouldn't like to carry fuel up there either but it is pretty amazing what people get away with. Of course it really depends on what you are carrying downstairs of course.

Look at this video - they seem to defy gravity!!!

Talking of which - the routemaster double decker bus. How the hell they can cope with 50 rowdy kids upstairs and nobody downstairs is beyond me. Our school bus always felt like it would tip over but never did..........

codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote