Old 12 May 2017, 05:45   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Petrol tank cleaning.

I appear to have a re occurring problem with a dirty built in tank. It's my own fault as I left the inspection hatch off while it was laid up and it filled up like an old pond with rain water.

It has a 6 inch inspection hatch fully aft and no other access. My engine has pulled water and a lot of algae up, so my hose flushing and drying of the tank obviously hasn't made it past the baffle bulkheads. Tank is over 2m long. 2nd time now. I can't get past bulkheads so I am now considering paying a pro tank cleaner but they all seem diesel based. Anyone recommend a pro outfit please?
Old 12 May 2017, 07:16   #2

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I appear to have a re occurring problem with a dirty built in tank. It's my own fault as I left the inspection hatch off while it was laid up and it filled up like an old pond with rain water.

It has a 6 inch inspection hatch fully aft and no other access. My engine has pulled water and a lot of algae up, so my hose flushing and drying of the tank obviously hasn't made it past the baffle bulkheads. Tank is over 2m long. 2nd time now. I can't get past bulkheads so I am now considering paying a pro tank cleaner but they all seem diesel based. Anyone recommend a pro outfit please?
With our 90ltr tornado tank we cut an access hole into the tank with a 150 mm tank cutter and then poured lots of buckets of hot soapy water via the filler tube. We then syphoned the
Water and crap out and used a spong to the dry the last bit, left it some time and made up a plate to take the new pick up etc. Never had s problem since and with the access plate and a screw on cap can can take a look in and see if it's clean. The baffles didn't stop the crap from collecting in the back on the tank when we had the bow propped up. Cheers dave