Old 12 June 2003, 23:22   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: X-RIB
Make: XS-600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115
Petrol in Weymouth?

Disappointed to have had a discussion over the 'phone with Weymouth Marina this afternoon to find they no longer seem to offer the loan of jerry cans to fill up from the local garage in Westham (?) Road. I did this a couple of years ago and it worked well.

As Petrol is not legally available at the Quay in Weymouth, any other ideas how to get 100 litres or so to an inboard Fuel tank?

There must be locals with Ribs in Weymouth...what do you do?

Thanks

Nigel
Old 13 June 2003, 06:55   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Petrol

Hi

Not sure if this will help much but we used to pop over to France on the ferry on the £1 walk on day tickets just to buy and carry as much cheap booze as we could, we took lots of bags and a small trolley like the one below, on this i'd be able to load 3 cases of 24 cans, a case of 24 bottles of spitfire and two boxes of six bottles of wine, then on top all the bags and bits and pieces we take, anything else would go in a rucksack, then once strapped down with straps the trolley would be dragged back on the bus and back to the docks and onto the ferry.
There must have easily been 50 litres or so plus the weight of the bottles and cans loaded and it was fairly easy to drag back.

So maybe carry a spare can and a small trolley and go get the petrol yourself and drag it back, obviously you may need to make two or three trips but i suppose it depends on how much you need to buy to get you home and how big the jerry can is, also you need to think about how your going to decant it from the can to the tank ?

Good luck

Richard
Attached Images

Old 13 June 2003, 07:03   #3

Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
If you stick your boat in Weymouth Marina and ask them very nicely, there is Garage just over the road that you can buy the petrol from. Two 25lt plastic cans are not to much to have on board. A couple of trips across the road and the job is done. The other alternative is to take the fuel with you or call into Poole on the way back. I am assuming that you are coming from Portsmouth, how about refueling in Yarmouth on the way down?
It is about 40 miles from Yarmouth - Weymouth
Alan P
Old 14 June 2003, 10:25   #4

Boat name: X-RIB
Make: XS-600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115
Thanks, Alan and Bilge Rat. I think we'll go the trolley and spare cans route as we are trying to plan a trip further west and need the fuel reserves.
Still, if anyone in Weymouth has a better idea, please let me know!
Thanks
Nigel

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, 1908.