Old 13 May 2004, 18:28   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Petrol gauge gasket

Anyone know what material (rubber) this needs to be made of and where to obtain one?

During the Scilies trip i developed a substantial fuel leak which was traced to where the fuel gauge enters the tank. I've removed the gauge this evening and the gasket is shot.

The 'flange' is about 2" in diamater and has 5 stud's sticking out from the tank. The gasket, therefore is 2" diamater with a 1.25" hole in the middle and 5 holes in it...

My thoughts are to phone Osprey in the morning, but other suggestions welcome...
Old 13 May 2004, 20:11   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Gasket

We run a 55 ltr cann marine tank in our console, the filler cap has a gasket made of cork, do you ever see those place mats made of cork, I am wondering could you make one, until you get a new rubber one

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2004, 22:46   #3

Thanks, Best idea so far... if i can't get anything i try it.
Old 13 May 2004, 23:15   #4

Town: Greyabbey
Boat name: Keltoi
Make: Naked Ribs (Self Build)
Length: 6 six
Engine: Suzuki 140 fs
Daniel

If you just need a temporary measure, try hypalon blue gasket sealer. It comes in a tube and is "blue" in colour. Halfords or similar should have it in.

If you do use a cork gasket ( and I think it is a top idea) make sure you smear it well (both sides) with vaseline to stop it shrinking, otherwise you will be back to square one!

Good luck!
Old 14 May 2004, 01:31   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
There is a good rubber supplier (why did I just say that!) near us It's called portsdown Rubber and they know stuff about rubber.

dya want me to get you a but of fuel resistant wubber

Cheers
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2004, 11:29   #6
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Quote:
try hypalon blue gasket sealer
I believe it is called hylomar. Also what about silicone rubber? Never tried it with petrol, but it seems resiliant.
nick.
Old 14 May 2004, 13:04   #7

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
I wouldent use anything out of a tube near the fuel tank , if any drops in the tank while puting the screws back in it may get draged up the fuel line causing even moor problems
Graham
Old 14 May 2004, 13:17   #8

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Daniel

I cut an inspection hatch in the top of my fuel tank many moons ago so i could periodically check the inside, and if need be do any work on the inside of the fuel tank, i had a circular stainless plate cut to size and lots of holes drilled around the outside and inserts welding on the inside to take the bolts.....we used a thin sheet of cork to make a gasket and cut this to fit the entire circumference of the hatch, its still there and is still functioning correctly to this day.
Old 14 May 2004, 15:03   #9
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
Listen to Graham Hope !!!

Gavin and I were up in Bangor (NI) last year for The ribraid , we were belting along at full pelt when the engines died, when we swaped fuel tanks, all was solved....

switched tanks again .... engines died, but , only at WOT.

on opening the inspection hatch on the tank, and looking around the fuel system, we found a large amount of clear silicone in the fuel pick up, that had blocked the whole thing up, but only when 40L/h was demanded at WOT and not at 20l/h at normal crusing speed.....

Silicone was pulled, poked and sucked out, which was not easy , and all was sorted........

......and where did this silicone cone from ????? it was a seal , in addition to the rubber O ring seal that sealled the inspection hatch... originaly installed by the tank makers..... , all traces of silicone were removed, and no problems since.
Old 14 May 2004, 17:48   #10

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Dave
Daniel

If you just need a temporary measure, try hypalon blue gasket sealer. It comes in a tube and is "blue" in colour. Halfords or similar should have it in.

Good luck!
I think you mean "Hylomar". I think hypalon is used for something else. I know I have seen some somewhere.

You put it on very thinly to both sides of a gasket and let it go tacky before fitting. No chance of it dropping into the tank. If the mating faces are anyway near true it will seal the gasket. It is not a gasket substitute like Hermatite RTV.

Actualy hypalon may be correct, why not cut a bit from your repair kit and use that. It is petrol proof. It may need several layers to take up any distortion, but it should work.
Old 14 May 2004, 19:35   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Daniel, we have just found a 5 hole blanking plate but the gasket has gone awol, your welcome to it if you want. Its probably Stainless Steel and free.

Alternatively have a look in the Vetus catalogue.

Pete
Old 15 May 2004, 19:06   #12

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Don't use hylomar blue in contact with petrol ad it will dissolve it, forma gasket seems to be ok as is silicone but only if you let them cure before coming in contact with the fuel. From bitter experience!

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2004, 10:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
I think you mean "Hylomar". I think hypalon is used for something else. I know I have seen some somewhere.

You put it on very thinly to both sides of a gasket and let it go tacky before fitting. No chance of it dropping into the tank. If the mating faces are anyway near true it will seal the gasket. It is not a gasket substitute like Hermatite RTV.
Mark, thanks, you are quite corect, "Hylomar" is the correct stuff, and if it is good enough for fast attack helicopter fuel systems, it should be good enough for a fuel tank on a rib.
Old 16 May 2004, 13:11   #14
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
AvTur vs Petrol

Might be worth noting that Aviation Fuel (AvTur) and Petrol are quite different, and have different properties. Some sealants might work on aircraft, but not with petrol...

D...
Old 17 May 2004, 08:11   #15

Thanks for all the help guys.

Friday i 'phoned Osprey who said only they or their supplier could supply the gasket, but he knew exactly what it was and would get one to me ASAP.

I had decided to wait for that, but i missed going out in the boat so much over the weekend i might consider making one out of cork.

Pete, thanks for the offer of a blanking plate, but i am happy to put the gauge back in the hole, it's slightly more use than an inflatable dart board.
Old 17 May 2004, 09:26   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
Might be worth noting that Aviation Fuel (AvTur) and Petrol are quite different, and have different properties. Some sealants might work on aircraft, but not with petrol...

D...
Good point D. Aviation fuel being kerosene based and petrol being....well petrol based. I checked the safety data sheet on it and it does say "effective in all hydrocarbon fuel environments", so I'm assuming it should be a good all rounder.

Well worth questioning tho.....wouldn't want to give duff advice.

Dave
Old 21 May 2004, 14:23   #17

Right, finally managed to kick some osprey arse this lunch time (they are clearly very busy people) and the only option seams to be a complete sender and gasket assembly! Still, quite a fair price at £25, arrives monday, i just hope it's the right damn flange fitting!

I think i am right in not trying to make one, there seams to be some degree of 'unknown' regarding what material is and is not petrol proof, and as we all know fuel problems at sea are unwelcome to say the least.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:27   #18

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Right, finally managed to kick some osprey arse this lunch time (they are clearly very busy people) and the only option seams to be a complete sender and gasket assembly! Still, quite a fair price at £25, arrives monday, i just hope it's the right damn flange fitting!

I think i am right in not trying to make one, there seams to be some degree of 'unknown' regarding what material is and is not petrol proof, and as we all know fuel problems at sea are unwelcome to say the least.
So you will be ready for a launch and sea trial soon then

Regards
Old 24 May 2004, 15:41   #19

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
I know it's a bit late to be useful to you Daniel, but aren't all fuel sender gaskets pretty much a standard now - 54mm bolt circle with 5 bolts?
Old 24 May 2004, 15:44   #20

Yep, it would appear all marine tank sender's are to this standard now, but (a) nobody seamed to know that when i started this thread and (b) you try getting just the gasket...from anywhere.

It arrived first class post Sat a.m. and was fitted Sat p.m. Top-Banana is back on the water now