Old 25 January 2020, 19:29   #1

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: MadDog
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Petrol availability in Cornish marinas

I’m looking to do a long journey from Pwhelli in North Wales to Falmouth and I’m really struggling to find sources of petrol between Milford Haven/Neyland and Falmouth. I could divert to St Mary’s in the Scillies but that’s a long diversion which I’d rather avoid.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 26 January 2020, 20:27   #2

Town: Topsham
This is hard around the western part of the UK - its not set up to fuel petrol boats long distance. Newlyn has diesel only as I checked recently. There is nothing along the north coast of Cornwall or Devon.

I haven't checked Appledore, but that is a big diversion.

Until recently there was nothing between Dartmouth and Poole (Portland marina sells only diesel - not petrol now) - Happily Torquay marina now has a new facility - though this doesn't help you.

What i have done is buy a flexible bladder with an extra 200 litres of fuel - which gives some comfort. https://www.atlltd.com/industries/ma...nsion-bladders
Old 27 January 2020, 06:18   #3

That’s really helpful Atoll - thanks.

Couple of questions if I may:

1) how easy do you find it to secure?

2) what sort of device do you use to transfer the fuel from it to your tanks? I imagine that the 100L is very heavy and can’t be man-handled easily so some form of siphon pump?

Much appreciated
Old 27 January 2020, 07:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbank View Post
That’s really helpful Atoll - thanks.

Couple of questions if I may:

1) how easy do you find it to secure?

2) what sort of device do you use to transfer the fuel from it to your tanks? I imagine that the 100L is very heavy and can’t be man-handled easily so some form of siphon pump?

Much appreciated
1. It depends on your boat. I use it mostly on my Axopar 28, but have also put it on a Boston Whaler. I bought the securing straps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HuRRdL5X3kna9j9n6

2. I can fill the built in boat tank using gravity from this flexible tank. You place it in the boat before filling and it is 200 kilos of extra weight when full. I am guessing most people can't lift that. When empty it rolls up and can be held with one hand. It's a cunning piece of kit and you can see why the military use them.
Old 27 January 2020, 09:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoll View Post
2. I can fill the built in boat tank using gravity from this flexible tank. You place it in the boat before filling and it is 200 kilos of extra weight when full. I am guessing most people can't lift that. When empty it rolls up and can be held with one hand. It's a cunning piece of kit and you can see why the military use them.
Sorry - I wasn't clear! What kit do you use to transfer fuel from the flexible tank on-board into the boat's fuel tanks? Siphon pump, hand pump?
Old 27 January 2020, 09:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbank View Post
Sorry - I wasn't clear! What kit do you use to transfer fuel from the flexible tank on-board into the boat's fuel tanks? Siphon pump, hand pump?
You were clear - i use gravity. The flexible tank is higher than the fuel filler and so the fuel flows from the flexible tank to the boat tank as soon as i open the tap. There is a flexible tube coming from the top of the flex tank that I put directly in to the boat tank.
Old 27 January 2020, 09:43   #7

Town: Portland
Boat name: Sleepers Wake
Make: Jeremy Rogers
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Portland Marina sells petrol

"Until recently there was nothing between Dartmouth and Poole (Portland marina sells only diesel - not petrol now) - Happily Torquay marina now has a new facility - though this doesn't help you."

Portland Marina DOES sell petrol, they have had some issues with their pump on the fuel pontoon which should be repaired in the next few weeks, but they also have a land-based pump which can dispense petrol into own cans or boats on trailers which are launching down the WPNSA slip. Best to check before you leave, though, contact the marina office on 01305 866190.
Old 27 January 2020, 14:26   #8

Town: BRIDGEND
Boat name: Oren Eto
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90 hp 4 stro
I have motored to the Scillies from Swansea a number of times, sometimes with diesel and others with petrol engines. It is a pain but the only solution that I have had, where petrol is needed, was to call into Padstow( a big diversion) with tanks that the nearest petrol garage could fill. Then you have the difficulty of how to take it to the filling station. The last time I managed to get a workman with his van to take 4 jerry cans to get filled and gave him £10 for doing so, that was lucky as taxis will not take fuel cans. Even if you can arrange it, and I think Padstow, is the best option, you are looking at a 4 hour diversion. Best wishes, I will be carrying a spare 100 litres next time, enough to get me to the Scillies and then pay a fortune at the quayside( not available Saturday afternoons or Sundays) for fuel for the return trip.
Old 28 January 2020, 15:58   #9

Portland. Brilliant. How many years was it not available on the fuel Dock? In the last five years I have only found a sign saying no petrol. . If you are passing through on a long passage, few people have jerry cans or strength to fill their boat from the land pump you describe.