Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 December 2009, 14:30   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Reminds me of reading this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...266239&s=books

An Australian CG operative monitoring his screen, used to a couple of EPIRB activations a month, suddenly had 12 on one screen.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 14:33   #22
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Reminds me of reading this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...266239&s=books

An Australian CG operative monitoring his screen, used to a couple of EPIRB activations a month, suddenly had 12 on one screen.
Excellent book that.
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 14:43   #23
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Willk, i take it that once activated they can be used again? Not that i want to have to use it once...cheers
Yes, but they have to be returned for service first, seal, battery and test I guess.

The CG tell me that EPIRBs and PLBs set the system off big style when one gets deployed. They'll send everyone if they can't contact you straight off to confirm a false alarm. You don't want to meet the RNLI and a Sikorski with your name on it just 'cos you fell out of yer tender at the slip. So no automatics.
__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 14:49   #24
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yes, but they have to be returned for service first, seal, battery and test I guess.

The CG tell me that EPIRBs and PLBs set the system off big style when one gets deployed. They'll send everyone if they can't contact you straight off to confirm a false alarm. You don't want to meet the RNLI and a Sikorski with your name on it just 'cos you fell out of yer tender at the slip. So no automatics.
Thats my point though after been told auto lifejackets are the best its no point floating face up and unconscious with a PLB in your pocket that hasn't gone off.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 15:05   #25
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Thanks guys, i think i will definitely look at purchasing, it probably seems expensive especially this time of year...
The non GPS version is quite a bit cheaper, if you are not doing blue water cruising then it would almost certainly be a big plus. 160 squids ought to do it.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 15:07   #26
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
You can various prices for them and the boat show in London might be a good place if you can wait,
E Bay have this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mcmurdo-Fast-F...item3ca5e4084c
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 15:12   #27
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
The non GPS version is quite a bit cheaper, if you are not doing blue water cruising then it would almost certainly be a big plus. 160 squids ought to do it.
Have you a link to that?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 15:14   #28
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Worth noting that the seller is in the Channel Islands and VAT will most likely be added by HMC, delaying delivery and bumping the price up
__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 15:20   #29
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Have you a link to that?
http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/

Is probably the best info, but the GPS and basic versions are the same in every respect except one sends a homing signal and the other sends a position signal.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 15:24   #30
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Worth noting that the seller is in the Channel Islands and VAT will most likely be added by HMC, delaying delivery and bumping the price up
A good point, unless they do what we do and send them from within the UK and include VAT - the eBay page should make that clear.

206 pounds inc vat and delivery is good, 206 + VAT is not such a good price.

Bear in mind that if several of you can get together it should be no problem to get half a dozen at a very good price indeed.
__________________

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.