Old 14 January 2003, 20:05   #41

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
For price in GBP

Divide the total amount by 1.6 (before discount) and then substruct 20% (after discount)
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2003, 20:47   #42

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
exchange rate

1.52 would be more realistic to divide by, to get a more accurate result

sorry manos

bought some euros this morning
Old 14 January 2003, 20:57   #43

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
matiboy

the ER is 1.57 here actually
But who wants to play with the pennies??
100 pounds up or down makes no difference
Old 14 January 2003, 22:04   #44

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Manos

If your euro to gbp rate is different over there, then I think you and I have hit on a great way of making money !!!

If I can buy lots of euros at 1.57 over there, then I'll buy some and sell them back over here at around 1.52 and make a packet

( allowing for the markets bid/offer spread should make a nice tidy profit)

alas I dont think it will be

LOL
Old 15 January 2003, 06:16   #45

Re: Manos

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
If your euro to gbp rate is different over there, then I think you and I have hit on a great way of making money !!!
GOOD IDEA!!!

LOLOL

It has been like this for a long time. Even when we had the drahma. You use to get more pounds in Greece exchanging drahma that what you could in the UK. Isn't that strange??
But seriously the exchange rate between GBP/Euro in Greece is about what I've said yesterday (looked it up in the news paper).

Cheers
Manos
Old 15 January 2003, 08:18   #46

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Correction

First of all, Yamaha Outboards do not make a 225 HPDI !
The 200 HPDI (long shaft) is £8766.00
The 250 HPDI (long shaft) is £10213 - this has just been released.
The 4 stroke F225 (not available in long shaft) is £11064.00.

Bear in mind, buying in the Channel Islands will NOT attract VAT. Furthermore, purchasing a Yamaha engine outside the UK and for use in the UK will lead to all sorts of problems if something goes wrong. I don't care what anyone says, Yamaha UK play by a different set of rules and will not honour the warranty. I have been 'stung' with this scenario and it is still being debated today and remains unresolved. International warranty, my backside!

Hope this helps
Old 15 January 2003, 09:29   #47

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Going back to the question of UK diesel duty, It's my understanding that the concesion is now garenteed until 2009

As for converting an outboard boat to a sterndrive, I reckon there's a 1001 reasons not to, the whole layout of the structures are possibly different, engine bearers etc, plus the transom could be too thick, for mercruiser at least as they require the transom to be 2.0-2.25 inches thick overall, even an 18 phantom for OCR has a 3 inch transom, so it's probable the Scorpion has a hefty one too! having said all that, I can't imagine having anything but diesel myself as the savings on running costs are massive, more than most petrol heads would ever want to accept or admit to! so I reckon replace with smaller O/B's or sell and get a diesel rig.
Incidentaly, I've run allong side seahound in quite nasty sea's, at speed (60 odd) when it belonged to Chris S, and It's pitch stability is remarkable! a combination of, I think: a 30 footer with loads of warp in the deadrise/ loads of power from very little weight aft, plus the weight of the fwd cabin, quite exellent! Chris tells me that the twin yanmar version was fairly quick but lolopy at lower speeds, not a lot of good to you guys!
Old 15 January 2003, 09:35   #48

PS. Julian, I read in one of your ealier post's that you are an ex racer, what class were you racing in and when?
Old 15 January 2003, 09:42   #49

Manos,
further to a conversation we had a few weeks ago (in a previous life) we touched on using refresh to update the forum page, I don't know if it's the same for other ISP's but with mine the F5 button is a shortcut for refreshing the page and seems to be the way to go!
Old 15 January 2003, 09:49   #50

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Racing

Hi Jon

I used to race in the open class, but this was about 10 years or so ago. I loved it and raced with several different people after we gave up. The reason we stopped was due to the money involved in buying an out and out race boat and smashing it to bits through out the year. Good fun whilst it lasted.

Are you a racer then Jon.

Julian
Old 15 January 2003, 10:03   #51

Julian,
I was, I've hung my helmet up now! not in rib though, I had a brief spell in class 1, a season in class 3 six litre in the UAE and 3 years in NPC 2/touring class over here,
most other involvement with racing was as an engineer working for other teams
Old 15 January 2003, 10:25   #52

Racing

Jon

wow. Impressive career . Are you now getting involved in Ribs then. Not racing but maybe going on some cruising events etc.

Julian
Old 15 January 2003, 10:40   #53

Julian,
I have to be honest, no, I have a sportsboat for pleasure and do loads of cruising with that, I'm on the forum coz it's a bit of fun hearing all the different points of view, and occasionly sticking my oar in
Old 15 January 2003, 10:53   #54

Sports Boat

You cant have a sports boat on here. hahah Just jokeing. What kind of sports boat is it.
Old 15 January 2003, 11:02   #55

It's funny you should say that, JK and I discussed that very subject in email just recently! I have a Phantom 28 rigged for fast, cheap(I'm very mean) cruising, poker running etc.

How fast is your 8.5 with the yanmar? (no jackanory's please)

and which drive have you got?
Old 15 January 2003, 11:09   #56

Speed

Phatom 28 is a nice boat. What size engine do you have.

Our boat does 49 knots with a full tank of diesel. Had 51 out of her once but that was with a light load. We have a bravo 3 leg on her. The leg blew up after 80 odd hours and we had it rebuilt using stronger components and so far have had no problems. Now done 430 hours.

It a great cruising rib, very comfortable even in the rough. Been in a force 9 with her and no problems etc.

Julian
Old 15 January 2003, 11:27   #57

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Apart from brown stuff down your legs if I remember correctly
Alan P
Old 15 January 2003, 11:33   #58

Mr Priddy

Your not wrong there Alan. There were several worrying moments on that run, like being hit from behind by a big wave which was nice. But i'm still here so it ended well.
Old 15 January 2003, 11:35   #59

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
There was a Phantom 28 for sale last year with a 345hp diesel and surface drive IIRC. Looked like a good fast economical boat (of course albeit not as seaworthy as a RIB ). Is that your boat?

On the performance question I am convinced personally that outboards are the way to go for smaller (say 7.5 and less) RIBS where useage is around 100hrs per season. Arguably outboards are better suited for purpose than heavy diesel engines in relative light RIBS (hence mounts cracking etc) and overstressed drives - Bravo 3/3x/Yanmar 300 failures being the case in point.
Fuel availability can be an issue but most RIBS of this size live on trailers and can hence be refuelled at Tesco's.

Bigger RIBS its a different matter. If you need to refuel alongside and do extended cruising then diesel is preferable. I do not believe however that a truly great engine and drive combination exists for the 8m+ RIB. Upto 250hp (Yanmar 250/Bravo or Yamaha 240/Hydradrive) but over 300hp?

For Seahound the choice is clear - same engines and outrageous fuel bills. New outboards at some cost and much reduced fuel bills (probably in the order of 40%+ compared to race tuned engines?) or effectively selling the boat and buying another one with diesel engines!

All IMHO, FWIW etc etc.

Alan
Old 15 January 2003, 11:47   #60

Julian,
sounds cool, who's beefed up bravo bit's did you use?

someone on this thread talked about using a 420 yanmar in seahound (in fact I think they were talking about a pair) not sure that person realises the size and wieght of the 5.7litre yanmar, even on a Bmax drive, which is the only drive with an internal gearbox that I know of that could take that power at those rpm's would be a bit heavy and very pricey! maybe 30Kish, lot of dogh for a single!

My boat has twin GM 6.5 V8 TD's through bravo 1's 325hp or as crazyhorse calls them, old tech third party marinized crap, maybe we'll revisit this when his electronics are 5 years old and had a swimming lesson or two, and as he's only got one it'll be a good book for a week or so while the seagull putts away merrily getting him back to the volvo agent