Old 17 November 2002, 10:43   #11

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Priddy

Apart from Spirt, I have always filled my boats with water to see how they float, Do any other Rib builders do this?
Scorpion ribs are subjected to these tests, if they fail the hull will be condemned.

Old 17 November 2002, 15:42   #12

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles

Scorpion ribs are subjected to these tests, if they fail the hull will be condemned.
But is this normally done in mid Channel Charles?!

Old 17 November 2002, 17:26   #13

Make: FB 55
Now, now Alan........... At least I tested it for you and you will now know what to expect from yours!
Old 18 November 2002, 12:26   #14

Town: Cheltenham
Well I was in a Searider so the lower hull floods at stand still anyway. You just rock around.

As for draining the water out of your boat once full, a sailing coach told me that there is nothing more effecient than a frightened sailor with a bucket (certainly in a dinghy or a small rib), though whale pumps and electric are of course welcome. Bailing with a bucket keeps the crew warm, right !!!

I found that we were so low in the water that driving would not empty the water over the transom on through the trunk.

As a note when driving with the bow high, beware of driving off and the water going over the engine cover, it breath's air, not water. We have been lucky when we were in these situations (10 cm of solid water over the cover).

As for photos, yes real hard to get photo's that those on shore can see and appreciate. I suggest continuous shots or better still video.
Strangely enough you might have better things to do in that weather though!

Tiger
Old 19 November 2002, 04:49   #15

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Sink Test

All Scorpions are tested to make sure no water gets into any area of the boat that is supposed to be sealed. Graham sinks evryone then they are tested. If any part of the fails this test the parts are replaced or re built.

In heavy seas where no headway can be made the best thing to do is flood the boat and become part of the wave itself. I would have no problem flooding our boat as its well built.

Julian
Old 19 November 2002, 08:25   #16

Town: Cheltenham
Flood the boat

The problem with flooding the boat regularly is that the water eventualy finds its way into your electrics, the cables around the boat and washes off any protective greese / vasaline you may have used.

As I'm sure you know, these things cost money and really awkward to replace.

It's another reason for regular maintenance all over the boat.

Tiger
Old 19 November 2002, 13:50   #17

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
Julian, From my humble experiance i would disagree.

I can see the advantages and principle of flooding and agree that ideally your boat would be watertight when flooded.

BUT. I agree with Tiger there are also a number of downsides. For one you have a much reduced manouverabilty making you unable to manouver your craft out of the way of breaking waves.

If things got that bad i would be thinking of either running before the waves giving me more time to avoid the worst bits. lie to a sea anchor, this i would feel comfortable with even with breaking crests. Use stability bags, as you get on liferafts to stop them capsizing, filed with water help prevent capsize. If the weather was that bad surely keeping as dry and warm is also an issue. The last thing you want in that scinario is gear failiur due to water ingression something flooding is likely to promote.

In what has got to be one of, if not the safest, most stable type of craft in the world it seems to me, better to not flood your boat and use other heavy weather tactics.

Toby
Old 19 November 2002, 15:20   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Sorry Toby, you are very wrong. There is only one way which is to flood the boat.Even if you are on a lee shore in big seas the boat will become part of the wave and take you closer to land and even over very shallow rocks. As for water ingress, th eboat should be built properly. If you have joints below the deck you have something very wrong. Jan Falkowski will back up everything I have said Alan P
Old 20 November 2002, 08:10   #19

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
One thing to watch in a big sea when full is that when you power up to empty the water. The weight of the water in the stearn of the boat (poring over the transom) Means that the nose is far higher than normal befor it jumps on the plane. This can be dangerous if in a big sea because the last thing you want to do is flip backwards going up a wave. woth baring in mind that the handeling of the boat is very very different full of water!!
Old 20 November 2002, 09:19   #20

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
Alan I beleive you, Im just suprised.

I would have thought the free surface effect would make the boat less stable, but i guess I was wrong.

Toby