Old 08 January 2015, 19:27   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Pembrokeshire. Local knowledge required!

The Leader of the Opposition has consented to a week in Pembrokeshire this September which is a place I've never been, but want to visit...

So, outline plan is to put the RIB into Neyland Marina for the week, which should allow us to piddle about in the haven/river if it's blowin' old boots, but head out to Skomer, Tenby, etc, etc when it's crackin' flags.

The questions for the massive (or anyone with local knowledge) therefore are:

What/where are the 'must see/do' items?

Where are the BEST restaurants located?

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of an excellent self-catering cottage in the area that's within easy striking distance of Neyland Marina? I ask because there's a lot of 'tired' looking ones on tinternet holiday cottage websites...

If Razorbill reads this, the link to your self-catering cottage from the Safari website leads to a holiday cottage booking company that don't have your property listed! :face palm: Just thought you might like to know.

Old 08 January 2015, 20:40   #2
Dhf

Length: no boat
I know Bern Hanreck (forum member) highly recommends Neyland Court B&B, which is very close to the marina.
Home
or
MARINA HOUSE (Free Wi-Fi): 1 Bedroom luxury apt attached to a modern Villa overlooking ... | HomeAway

As for lunch there's always the Jolly Sailor with pontoon, just around the corner from Neyland,
The Jolly Sailor, Burton Pembrokeshire

For just a few places of interest for the moment, you may like some of the places I've visited over the past few years, most of which are on my Pembrokeshire Coast-O-Graphs flickr collection.
Hope you enjoy your visit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125562668@N06/

Old 09 January 2015, 04:12   #3

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
There is a pub called the Griffin Inn in Dale which (they told me) owns 200 lobster pots in and around Dale. They have a fantastic selection of fresh fish and lobster dishes for a very good price.

We stay every year in Little Haven, just the other side of the headland from Dale. There's a small place called The St. Brides Inn which sold 1/2 Little Haven lobster dishes for 6 last year and were fantastic. Also The Castle pub in little haven does nice 'pubby' food.

The Swan Inn (again in little haven) used to be fantastic but after last year seems to have gone down hill which was a huge shame.

There's a small place call The Shed in Porthgain which again is a fantastic little place.

Enjoy! Pembroke is a beautiful part of the country, especially by sea!
Old 09 January 2015, 04:15   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
And we have in the past used Coastal Cottages for self catering accommodation. We stayed in Tree Cottage but there are a few barn style conversions in Talbenny, but might be further than you wish to go each day.
Old 09 January 2015, 04:28   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhf View Post
I know Bern Hanreck (forum member) highly recommends Neyland Court B&B, which is very close to the marina.
Home
or
MARINA HOUSE (Free Wi-Fi): 1 Bedroom luxury apt attached to a modern Villa overlooking ... | HomeAway

As for lunch there's always the Jolly Sailor with pontoon, just around the corner from Neyland,
The Jolly Sailor, Burton Pembrokeshire

For just a few places of interest for the moment, you may like some of the places I've visited over the past few years, most of which are on my Pembrokeshire Coast-O-Graphs flickr collection.
Hope you enjoy your visit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125562668@N06/
Great stuff, much appreciated and I'll take a detailed look over the weekend. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by blootac View Post
There is a pub called the Griffin Inn in Dale which (they told me) owns 200 lobster pots in and around Dale. They have a fantastic selection of fresh fish and lobster dishes for a very good price.

We stay every year in Little Haven, just the other side of the headland from Dale. There's a small place called The St. Brides Inn which sold 1/2 Little Haven lobster dishes for 6 last year and were fantastic. Also The Castle pub in little haven does nice 'pubby' food.

The Swan Inn (again in little haven) used to be fantastic but after last year seems to have gone down hill which was a huge shame.

There's a small place call The Shed in Porthgain which again is a fantastic little place.

Enjoy! Pembroke is a beautiful part of the country, especially by sea!
Brilliant. Just the kind of info I was after and thanks for sharing. Appreciate it.
Old 09 January 2015, 05:06   #6

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of an excellent self-catering cottage in the area that's within easy striking distance of Neyland Marina? I ask because there's a lot of 'tired' looking ones on tinternet holiday cottage websites...

Will pass you details of a nice cottage (recently converted) which belongs to one of our crew..... A stones throw from the marina....

If Razorbill reads this, the link to your self-catering cottage from the Safari website leads to a holiday cottage booking company that don't have your property listed! :face palm: Just thought you might like to know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, will update..... Ours is too far for you (40 miles) and too large..... 7 bedrooms....

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 05:34   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If the weather is kind, The Smalls is a must do, along with Grassholm on the way. If the weather is minging, The Sloop in Porthgain is a suitable refuge (though it's 10 years or so since I was there) Porthgain is worth a visit in it's self, either by road or boat (make sure you enter on the rising tide, as it dries) interesting place & the entrance from the sea is hidden by towering cliffs.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 06:30   #8

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
[QUOTE=Razorbill RIBs;662578]Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of an excellent self-catering cottage in the area that's within easy striking distance of Neyland Marina? I ask because there's a lot of 'tired' looking ones on tinternet holiday cottage websites...

Will pass you details of a nice cottage (recently converted) which belongs to one of our crew..... A stones throw from the marina....

Here we are: Holiday Cottage in Sardis, Nr. Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales W1899

Phil is the owner, he built /operated 'Sabre Tooth' a charter boat out of Neyland....and excellent source of local knowledge....also has parking for your trailer etc.....

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 07:12   #9

RIBase
[QUOTE=Razorbill RIBs;662583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post

Here we are: Holiday Cottage in Sardis, Nr. Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales W1899

Phil is the owner, he built /operated 'Sabre Tooth' a charter boat out of Neyland....and excellent source of local knowledge....also has parking for your trailer etc.....

Great stuff Dan, thank you
Old 09 January 2015, 19:27   #10

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
You must take the RIB through jacks sound; but consult a chart, grab some local knowledge and take clean underwear.