Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 November 2009, 02:30   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Surely all the guy is doing is getting the qualifications that will enable him to go on and learn the job. Any employer worth his salt is going to want to see his CV and will note the lack of experience in say night navigation so will likely start him off on duties more befitting hie experience.
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 04:16   #42
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
2 days.....3 days of training doesnt sound like very much.

I think ill get a bag of magic beans & plant them & see what sort of certificate grows, it would probably take longer to grow the certiificate than it seems it takes to do a course to get one...
Zubenelgenibi, I think you are being unfair. To qualify as a PBI, you essentially need to do the following (there may be ways of shortcutting some of this - but this is the "normal" route, and I think very similar to what the OP has posted).

RYA PB Level 2... 2 days
RYA (or equiv) First aid certificate... 1 day
5 seasons of powerboat experience (or 1 full time).

And

a VHF certificate 1 day
and Dayskipper Theory 5 days (the formal qualification is not required but the level of knowledge is - so its going to take that amount of personal learning time one way or the other).

THEN you can do the PBI course - 3 days

and then you are still not qualified to go out and issue certificates willy nilly to other people. AFIK you can only run courses as part of an RYA approved training centre under the supervision of a Senior Instructor.

The OP is actuallly doing this as part of a combined/condensed course which lasts 3 weeks, but still has the requirement for a PB2 and 5 seasons experience (or 1 full time).
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 04:38   #43
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 488
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Surely all the guy is doing is getting the qualifications that will enable him to go on and learn the job. Any employer worth his salt is going to want to see his CV and will note the lack of experience in say night navigation so will likely start him off on duties more befitting hie experience.
seems like your damned if you do and damned if you dont.
but as you and polwart say, he will get the jobs in line with his cv and experience.
__________________
Top banana
Top banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 07:19   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Forres
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
This is a common misconception. It is a three day course and moderated by a second trainer on the last day. The two trainers together decide if someone passes or not.
Maybe it was 3 days!? I remember it being 2 but the maybe it was 2 plus the third with the second guy there.

Actually, now I think about it prob was 3 days I think it mustve been the third with the second guy that's thrown me.
__________________
stewart
MIRO Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 07:42   #45
Member
 
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031
Polwart is quite right, there are a number of hoops to jump through before you get to the PBI course.

As Chris says all Will is up to is getting the tickets. Once he has done that an employer will have the task of training/developing him.
__________________
STORMFORCE COACHING
web - www.stormforce.biz
email - coaching@stormforce.biz
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 15:39   #46
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Zubenelgenibi, I think you are being unfair. To qualify as a PBI, you essentially need to do the following (there may be ways of shortcutting some of this - but this is the "normal" route, and I think very similar to what the OP has posted).

RYA PB Level 2... 2 days
RYA (or equiv) First aid certificate... 1 day
5 seasons of powerboat experience (or 1 full time).

And

a VHF certificate 1 day
and Dayskipper Theory 5 days (the formal qualification is not required but the level of knowledge is - so its going to take that amount of personal learning time one way or the other).

THEN you can do the PBI course - 3 days

and then you are still not qualified to go out and issue certificates willy nilly to other people. AFIK you can only run courses as part of an RYA approved training centre under the supervision of a Senior Instructor.

The OP is actuallly doing this as part of a combined/condensed course which lasts 3 weeks, but still has the requirement for a PB2 and 5 seasons experience (or 1 full time).
I guess it is a good thing to endeavour to attain the certificates, what irked me a little perhaps is the apparently blase attitude / approach in enquiring about the course on a forum the night before the assessement & his subsequent pass.It is also hard to imagine someone having spent "1000's of hours" on a boat & have little or no knowledge of navigation. I had problems in getting insurance for my RIB (even though I have a qualification far superior to any of the following) as I didnt have a RYA / ISA (Irish Sailing Association) qualification / PB qualification yet it appears it is not difficult to attain these qualifications.
__________________
Zubenelgenubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 16:04   #47
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
I guess it is a good thing to endeavour to attain the certificates, what irked me a little perhaps is the apparently blase attitude / approach in enquiring about the course on a forum the night before the assessement & his subsequent pass.
yes - he's young and niave! he hasn't passed the course - he's just passed the entrance exam. I'm guessing its possibly not his money that would have been wasted if he failed - that tends to focus the mind!

Quote:
It is also hard to imagine someone having spent "1000's of hours" on a boat & have little or no knowledge of navigation.
actually its quite easy, e.g. safety cover at a sailing club; driving a 'yacht taxi' etc can all require very little navigation - but rack up the hours.
Quote:
I had problems in getting insurance for my RIB (even though I have a qualification far superior to any of the following) as I didnt have a RYA / ISA (Irish Sailing Association) qualification / PB qualification
thats surprising - as its made almost no difference to mine!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 17:16   #48
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
what irked me a little perhaps is the apparently blase attitude / approach in enquiring about the course on a forum the night before the assessement & his subsequent pass.
Oh! There you go, it appears that the voice in my head was not gaRfie in the event, but Zube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
thats surprising - as its made almost no difference to mine!
I can corroborate Zube's experience with the Insurers. They do like their paperwork over here
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2009, 16:18   #49
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Knutsford
Boat name: Red Jelly
Make: Narwhall 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: 1998 Mariner 75hp
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 71
I agree with everything said and im also supprised myself at how easy it is so far and as someone said, it is a scary thought that I or particular members of my course can go out with 12 ppl with lives in their hands and In a certain case....VERY scary!

However, as others have also said just because I have that qualification doesnt necessarily mean I will go the whole hog and become a offshore skipper instantly but if I fancy charging some sailing clubs for safety boat/resuce duties etc - i can do it, but as I say, I have no intentions of using it to full extent now or in near future!

Also feel I should mention that i can handle a boat just as well as the 3 or 4 RNLI coxwains I go out with on a regular basis and my only weakness (however serious it may be) is navigation but im working on it and enjoying it!
__________________
Willbrooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2009, 16:23   #50
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbrooksy View Post
Also feel I should mention that i can handle a boat just as well as the 3 or 4 RNLI coxwains I go out with on a regular basis and my only weakness (however serious it may be) is navigation but im working on it and enjoying it!
How do you know this?
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.