Old 30 August 2012, 17:12   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Patch on the cone

Hi,

My project has a couple pinhole leaks on the end cone section of the tubes. There are actually 6"-8" (say 150-200mm) scrapes that each have a single pinhole in them. I would like to patch the entire scrape but I didn't know if on a patch that big if I will run into geometry problems? If I deflate the tube and lay it flat and put the patch on it will it be the right shape? It seems like it would end up being smaller than the radius and not look right. Do I need to lay it over something to retain shape while I patch? Again, a picture would do wonders but I don't have the boat handy at work :-)

Thanks,
Jason
Old 30 August 2012, 17:20   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
If recently beefed up the underside of the cones on our sr. The seam tape is quite narrow and was beginning to let go. I bought some grey hypalon, cut it to 100mm wide strips, prepped and glued them with hypalon glue over the existing seam tape. Not visible from topside, but looks quite smart and beefed up from underneath. :-)
Old 30 August 2012, 21:35   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
Hi,
If I deflate the tube and lay it flat and put the patch on it will it be the right shape?
If you can get the section you need to lay flat, how could it not end up being the right shape? It may deform a bit due to varying stiffness, but I would really doubt that, as well.

Luck;

jky
Old 07 September 2012, 23:57   #4

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
ok, on with patching! I did the first easy one and it held!! of course i was a bit sloppy with the glue and now there is a big ugly brown stain around the patch but it's holding.

So next holes, with pictures this time. There are the two on the bow.

Picture #1 is the bottom of the bow. Do I just slap a great big patch over that one?

Picture #2 does in fact show a puncture through the rub strake. I assume I need to peel that back, apply a touch of heat I am told, then clean it up patch it and rub strake back over it?

Pictures #3 and #4 were the start of this. you can see the cones are a bit rough. On both sides the insignificant looking scratches are leaking. what's my best approach there?

Oh, and one more. You can see the threadbare areas in picture #3. Do I do anything about those areas? There are obviously more. None of them are leaking (yet).
Thanks,
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	71926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	71927   Click image for larger version