Old 22 September 2011, 20:27   #1

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Parking in Dover

Hi
Planning a weekend launch from Dover (the "slip from hell" apparently - yes thanks, I do know there are alternatives but Dover suits our plans). But any advice please re parking the trailer and car - would be Sat am to Sun afternoon. Boatlaunch talks about "very limited" trailer parking at the slip but what that means isn't too clear, several searches haven't found much more on this site, anyone able to offer any advice/ideas please?Thanks!
Old 23 September 2011, 14:16   #2

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
There's a few spaces around the top of the slipway. Make sure you have a wheel clamp and or chain. Ensure your trailer has the boats name on it and you notify Dover Coastguard of your ETR.

The best car park to use is the one outside Dover Marina. Ask in the marina office for details. They were extremely helpful once I paid for a short stay, plus we got to use the facilities.

You are obviously familiar with the "trial by slipway" - good luck.
Old 25 September 2011, 21:10   #3

Make: Tornado
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Thanks - yes the marina was the answer - very happy to let me park car and trailer there for a frankly very small amount of money.

I knew of the slip by reputation but this was first time using it. So in fact the trailer spaces (8 or 10?) look pretty good, dedicated tarmaced bays off the main road. I'd have been OK leaving a trailer there, but the car was the problem.

I did call Dover Council parking dept, turned out the number went through to a general "customer service" dept, who sounded well-meaning but were useless. On explaining I wanted to use the public slip, launch Saturday am and recover Sunday pm, they knew nothing about any dedicated trailer spaces but rang the parking dept, who suggested we use one of the coach bays by the sailing center. When asked if I could get a 36 hour ticket, they said no, max is 9 hours, you just have to buy a new one Sunday morning. But I wasn't going to be there Sunday morning, that's the whole point... well tough then. And when I got there yesterday the coach bays bore very clear signs prohibiting both cars AND trailers. So that was useless advice....

Launching was easy - what no-one mentions are cobbled slips either side of the concrete one,and much wider (but shorter). We happened to be launching HW+1, so using the cobbled slip (which was dry) was easy, despite signs warning the cobbles could be slipppery when wet. Looked to me was though the cobbled slips would be useable HW+-3'ish? ( a local will know better)

Recovery was at low tide, so had to be the concrete slip. This took a number of attempts to get lined up (and you need a spotter on the sropoff side) but once we were, not too bad. But the boat was in a metre of water or lless for quite a while on the way in (spent some time toight flushing sand/mud from the cooling system). Once on the trailer, driving up the rather weedy slip was OK

So all in, a tricky slip at lower tides, but quite useable. And the marina was the solution to the parking problem, Dover Council clearly were't...