Old 13 November 2006, 09:21   #171
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Sounds like poor Sarah had the worst time of it - was her treatment REALLY justified???

Looks like they pick on RIBs - thousands of yachties make such trips with no hassle at all.
She was OK about it, think she was more concerned about what was going on down at the quayside with us lot. As annoyed and tired as we were at the time, at the end of the day they have a job to do, and give them credit, we had no idea they were tracking us either by sea or air and they were polite and friendly, all had quite a good laugh in the end, they came and sat and looked at the Rib with interest, so all's well that ended well.

Would hate to think how much lasts nights operation must have cost, and there was me thinking we'd used 240 worth of fuel to get back.

I'm trying to work out how to get the Rib back from L'Hampton now to home at Port Solent, so if Customs are following this thread, next time if they could use a Chinnook Helicopter, as I have lifting straps perhaps they could haul it over for me
Old 13 November 2006, 09:43   #172

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
I'm trying to work out how to get the Rib back from L'Hampton now to home at Port Solent, so if Customs are following this thread, next time if they could use a Chinnook Helicopter, as I have lifting straps perhaps they could haul it over for me
Possibly consider hiring a large flatbed trailer, and chocking the rib on?

Re-reading the thread when Codprawn brought his boat back, he borrowed a trailer from Quinquari, so could be worth giving them a bell?

Old 13 November 2006, 11:16   #173

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Possibly consider hiring a large flatbed trailer, and chocking the rib on?

Re-reading the thread when Codprawn brought his boat back, he borrowed a trailer from Quinquari, so could be worth giving them a bell?
might be easier to use the wetstuff between littlehampton and portsolent!
Old 13 November 2006, 11:26   #174
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
might be easier to use the wetstuff between littlehampton and portsolent!
Speaking to Paul, our plan at this moment in time is to leave Littlehampton at 9am and come back by sea. The Rib will take what it gets thrown at it, just more of a case if we will. Ok the seas will be choppy but doubt they will be much worse than what we went through from Calais. Will watch and make a descision first thing in the morning.
Old 13 November 2006, 11:49   #175

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Congrats on reaching this far! The rib looks fantastic

You could of stopped off and gave Guernsey customs something do do!!
lol
I reckon your new rib will need some tlc by the time its gets home
Old 13 November 2006, 11:59   #176
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Congrats on reaching this far! The rib looks fantastic

You could of stopped off and gave Guernsey customs something do do!!
lol
I reckon your new rib will need some tlc by the time its gets home
Yes, think you are correct, it certainly is going to get a good clean, assuming we get it back tomorrow, Dave from Boatcare Uk is coming to give it a thorough clean over as it was quite grubby after it's tow across from Poland, from all the road salt etc. Ready for the photo shoot for Rib International, got to have it looking it's best.
Old 13 November 2006, 12:01   #177

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
She was OK about it, think she was more concerned about what was going on down at the quayside with us lot. As annoyed and tired as we were at the time, at the end of the day they have a job to do, and give them credit, we had no idea they were tracking us either by sea or air and they were polite and friendly, all had quite a good laugh in the end, they came and sat and looked at the Rib with interest, so all's well that ended well.

Would hate to think how much lasts nights operation must have cost, and there was me thinking we'd used 240 worth of fuel to get back.
Yes they have a job to do but does it REALLY need 2 helicoppers? At the end of the day it's our tax money we are talking about. I mean did you lot REALLY look like terrorists???

As to getting it back I would gladly offer my services - it's a stunning looking boat!!!
Old 13 November 2006, 12:08   #178

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Yes they have a job to do but does it REALLY need 2 helicoppers? At the end of the day it's our tax money we are talking about. I mean did you lot REALLY look like terrorists???

As to getting it back I would gladly offer my services - it's a stunning looking boat!!!
I dunno Codders, I've just had a look at Lukasz's photos again and they look like a right dodgy bunch!!!

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 12:14   #179
RIBnet supporter

Quote:

Thank you for the offer, after all we were a bit inconspicuous in a Bright Yellow Rib but there you go, what can you say. And do you know what Kathleen was most disappointed that none of them had a box of Milk Tray to give her!!
Old 13 November 2006, 12:23   #180

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !

Well I did try K

Hehehe we looked far too slick an operation all things considered; all suited and booted, colour co-ordinated and zipping across on a twin-engined RIB! It wasn't really the weather for a leisure pootle!!!!

(And don't panic, ya couldn't move for waypoints and passage planning, all checked & re-checked beforehand (Mike C was faithfully clutching his printout the whole way/ we had friendly & interesting discussions with the French Authorities before departure! ) and the compass was the size of a football so we were all charting progress.One of our best & most enjoyable crossings, Skipper Nautibuoy!!!)

All smooth as silk...is that what worried the boyos? Or was it 'spookier' than that?

Kathleen & Paul (crew report will follow)