Old 19 May 2007, 15:52   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Parker Baltic 900, with 2 x 225hp DTS Mercury Opti's

Well today I placed and order with Andre for a Parker Parker Baltic 900, with 2 x 225hp DTS Mercury Opti's.

I have gone for the Safari version this time, helm at the rear with 2 winged back jockeys on a raised platform, in front of the consul there will be a pair of jockeys, then in front of that a pair of 4 jockey seats, which will be un-boltable to allow for (Sunpad for the better half) plus load carrying if needed.

This will then be coded for 14, which will suit my purpose much better.

Under the moulded deck will be 2 x 225l fuel tanks.

Wakeboard point on the A-frame, 12 blue LED deck lights.

Colour scheme will be the same as I had on the previous rib, yellow & black

Electronics wise, I am unsure at present, definitely Icom M505, as for chart plotter I am undecided, will either be Northstar 121, or Garmin 10" but looking into the options on this at present. Also stereo, which I was going to put on the previous boat but will fit to this one now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	26989  
Old 19 May 2007, 15:54   #2

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Nice!

But will you miss the extra 100 bhp?
Old 19 May 2007, 16:28   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Sounds great how much weight will you save with the optis? I reckon it will make up some way for the smaller HP on the new toy!
Nick
Old 19 May 2007, 16:41   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Did you not rate the verado's too highly then? Or is there a cost saving by going for opti's?
Just interested.

H
Old 19 May 2007, 16:58   #5
RIBnet supporter

The Verado is a Fantastic engine, and I would happily have another pair, however I have decided this time to go for Opti as chatting to the other guys who have the Parker Baltic 900 with Optis they are getting the same speed as I was bar 3-5 knots, they are getting 55knots with 2 x 225 Opti's.

Plus seeing as I was always ending up cruising at 40 knots that always put me in the higher fuel band and the fuel did flow through. Also chatting to the engineer who serviced the Verado's he recons with the Opti I will see a 35% fuel saving.

The other reason was because I am planning on using the new one for commercial use which reduces the warranty on the engines to 1 year, plus the Parker 900 Baltic I have just sold and only used personally, in 7 months I racked up 105hrs per engine. So based on the hours and if the engine was to go bang after a year I would far sooner replace a £9k ish Opti as supposed to a £16k Verado.

Also the Opti is a very proven engine, and the latest version out this year is supposed to be quieter.
Old 19 May 2007, 17:53   #6

Sounds cool, look forward to seeing this one in the flesh! It will be interesting to see how the performance differs with the optis - she'll almost certainly be noisier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Electronics wise, I am unsure at present, definitely Icom M505, as for chart plotter I am undecided, will either be Northstar 121, or Garmin 10" but looking into the options on this at present.
Richard, I could do you a good deal on a Standard Horizon Plotter?
Old 19 May 2007, 18:02   #7

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Sounds cool, look forward to seeing this one in the flesh! It will be interesting to see how the performance differs with the optis - she'll almost certainly be noisier!

Richard, I could do you a good deal on a Standard Horizon Plotter?
The advantage of having the M121 Chartplotter from Northstar is that with the Smartcraft Gateway connecting the M121 and Smartcraft display monitor you have the possibility of viewing the engine management on the large screen. This gives the navigator/crewman the option of controlling the operation of the engines. This cannot be done with any other chartplotter .

Richard is yet to decide

I wonder if this thread about NautiBouy MK2 will beat on the number of viewings and postings on the thread about NautiBouy MK1
Old 19 May 2007, 18:31   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
The rate at which Richard goes through boats every single boat in the Solent will be called Nauti Boy!
Best of luck with the new toy Richard.
Old 19 May 2007, 18:36   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
The rate at which Richard goes through boats every single boat in the Solent will be called Nauti Boy!
Best of luck with the new toy Richard.
cheeky git
Old 19 May 2007, 18:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The advantage of having the M121 Chartplotter from Northstar is that with the Smartcraft Gateway connecting the M121 and Smartcraft display monitor you have the possibility of viewing the engine management on the large screen. This gives the navigator/crewman the option of controlling the operation of the engines. This cannot be done with any other chartplotter .
Aah yes, now that you mention that I do remember. That's got to be good.
Old 19 May 2007, 18:57   #11

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Richard, if it not a silly question why have you decided to go from 2 X 275 hp verados to 2 X 225 hp optis? What do you think the difference will be in speed and fuel consumption?
Richard
Old 19 May 2007, 18:58   #12
RIBnet supporter

It is likely to be the Northstar system, just need to play with one first, certainly got a very nice hi res screen to it. Plus having a link to the Smartcraft will be useful.
Old 19 May 2007, 19:02   #13
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickuk3 View Post
Richard, if it not a silly question why have you decided to go from 2 X 275 hp verados to 2 X 225 hp optis? What do you think the difference will be in speed and fuel consumption?
Richard
Hi Rick,

See my post 5 for a longer version, but hopefully a 35% fuel saving and 5 knots off of the top speed, based on information from other Parker 900 Baltic owners running 225 Opti's
Old 19 May 2007, 19:31   #14

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Quote:
Hi Rick,

See my post 5 for a longer version, but hopefully a 35% fuel saving and 5 knots off of the top speed, based on information from other Parker 900 Baltic owners running 225 Opti's
Ooopppps
Note to self 'book apointment for eye test on Monday'
Richard
Old 19 May 2007, 19:35   #15

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Craka Daux
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via MSN to nick wood
Quote:
Well today I placed and order with Andre for a Parker Parker Baltic 900, with 2 x 225hp DTS Mercury Opti's.
Hi Richard, so what is so different with these 'DTS Mercury Opti's than the Standard Mercury Opti's? Are they a new engine?

Nick
nick wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 19:41   #16
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick wood View Post
Hi Richard, so what is so different with these 'DTS Mercury Opti's than the Standard Mercury Opti's? Are they a new engine?

Nick
The DTS, just mean you can use the fly by wire throttles which come with the Verado's, they are more expensive, but personally I think worth it as the Verado throttle are just superb.

Hopefully the rib will be in your neck of the world tomorrow morning.
Old 19 May 2007, 20:00   #17

Quote:
The DTS, just mean you can use the fly by wire throttles which come with the Verado's, they are more expensive, but personally I think worth it as the Verado throttle are just superb.

Hopefully the rib will be in your neck of the world tomorrow morning.
Ok I have got your drift with the DTS meaning, apart from the fuel situation would you have gone for the Varado's again? as we are pretty set on them either the 275 or the 300. Plus fuel is cheeper over here I think.

Yes I look forward to seeing her again, I think he would like a cover made for her so he may bring her down to Jersey and let our guys make one for him
Old 19 May 2007, 20:13   #18
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick wood View Post
Ok I have got your drift with the DTS meaning, apart from the fuel situation would you have gone for the Varado's again? as we are pretty set on them either the 275 or the 300. Plus fuel is cheeper over here I think.

Yes I look forward to seeing her again, I think he would like a cover made for her so he may bring her down to Jersey and let our guys make one for him
Yeah, if fuel here was the same price as here then I think for the fun, sheer grunt of the Verado's I would possibly have gone for the 300 Verado if I was running it as a leisure so keeping the 3 year warranty in place. Not that in the 100hrs I have done did I have any issue with the Verado.

IF you go Verado you will absolutely have fantastic time GO 300hp, you will still be able to drive the rib flat out with no handling issues, no chine walking at all, my rib still felt very sure footed in the water. naturally I will have to come over for a play too.
Old 19 May 2007, 20:26   #19

Quote:
Yeah, if fuel here was the same price as here then I think for the fun, sheer grunt of the Verado's I would possibly have gone for the 300 Verado if I was running it as a leisure so keeping the 3 year warranty in place. Not that in the 100hrs I have done did I have any issue with the Verado.

IF you go Verado you will absolutely have fantastic time GO 300hp, you will still be able to drive the rib flat out with no handling issues, no chine walking at all, my rib still felt very sure footed in the water. naturally I will have to come over for a play too.
Yes we are 99% going for the 300 just a bit worried why you went for the Opti's but from a commercial point of view I supouse the fuel is a issue, but yes here fuel is cheeper and it yes she will be used as a demo boat, but for a little playing too by all means you would be more than welcome to come over for a play, but im just sitting back and waiting for Chris to come back with a price for the boat before I get to hyper. The 300 is only coming out in the next month or so I think, Chris did say they are keen to get a pair on a 900 ASAP. 60kts maybe, they are the same weight as the 275.
But with the opti's 225 and 55kts and 35% less fuel thats still a wicked combo!
Old 19 May 2007, 20:34   #20
RIBnet supporter

Plus Verado 300 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better looking than the Opti