Old 20 June 2012, 07:28   #1

Paperwork for France

Can anyone advise me what qualifications and paperwork I need to have to use my Zodiac 420 in France? I have RYA Day Skipper (from sailing).
Old 20 June 2012, 08:32   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Asssuming that you are a UK citizen, in theory you don't need any paperwork to take your boat to France & use it. BUT, we are dealing with the French on their own turf (or sea) & they can be very errr French. I've been taking my boats across for around 20 years, & in that time I've been stopped at sea by, in no particular order, Douane (customs), Affaire Maritime (general sea police, similar to fisheries protection), Gendarme Maritime (sea police) & the French Navy. I've had the Customs stop me at sea & then be waiting for us back at the tent, which they searched. I've been stopped & searched at Cherbourg getting on to the ferry on my way home. The problem is, that smallish boats like ours are only allowed 5 miles offshore under French Law, UNLESS, you are British Registered. This is actually bo110cks, as an unregistered boat could quite easily cross the channel to one of the French channel ports, & then not be allowed to sail back home under French rules. I've found that having an SSR number & flying the red ensign cuts through a lot of the hassle. Customs still bother you now & then, but I don't actually mind that, at least they are doing their job. This is what I take in the form of paperwork:-
Ships registration doc (SSR)
VHF Cert
Ships radio licence
Insurance
ICC (international certificate of competance) technically not needed, but sometimes they don't know thier own rules & the rules are applied differently in different regions.
Purchase receipt copy (proves boat is mine & that the VAT was paid)

I have actually been stopped at Portsmouth, in the queue for the ferry & asked to prove that the boat was mine by a couple of bobbys patroling the port. They said they were having a clampdown on stolen boats being shipped out of the country, it's only happened once in 20 years though

HTH
PD
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 09:19   #3

Town: Wirral
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda
If you intend to use it on inland waterways you could do with having a CEVNI.

This is just an addition to your ICC for inland use, and can be done online or at a recognised training centre in a day. It's fairly easy to complete.
Old 20 June 2012, 12:04   #4

Thanks - how does one achieve the ICC (international certificate of competence) - doe my RYA Day Skipper qualification "include" it?
Old 20 June 2012, 12:52   #5

Town: Wirral
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda
Your Day Skipper Sail Practical qualification entitles you to an ICC for power up to 10m and for sail craft.

You just then need to do an online CEVNI test, print the online completion certificate off and send together with ICC application form to the RYA.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you the required form now.

Hope this helps.
Old 20 June 2012, 13:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacadet128 View Post
Your Day Skipper Sail Practical qualification entitles you to an ICC for power up to 10m and for sail craft.

You just then need to do an online CEVNI test, print the online completion certificate off and send together with ICC application form to the RYA.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you the required form now.

Hope this helps.
That's very kind, will PM you now, cheers.
Old 20 June 2012, 19:34   #7

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: Dennis & no name
Make: Avon Sportboat & SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 3.5 & ??
This is really interesting - I took my sib to France and was told by a boat chandler in La Tranche that is was ok to use an unregistered SIB (with an outboard) up to 300m from the shore. I didn't get stopped or challenged by anyone & launched it in the marina. I do remember about 25 yrs ago on a family holiday my uncles tiny SIB was registered for use on French rivers. I have just registered my Avon with the SSR which I'm weirdly excited about. Need to get out more!
Old 20 June 2012, 20:53   #8

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Application for ICC

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ICC%20Form.pdf

Details about the ICC CEVNI test

The ICC CEVNI Test | The ICC and Proof of Competence Abroad | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA
Old 20 June 2012, 21:12   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
If you are going up the inland waterways you will also need a VNR licence which can be purchased on line for different lengths of stay. The French are also very 'hot' on safety equipment, not just carrying it, but making sure it is all in date too (e.g. flares).

As PD said, take as much papework as you can, especially bill of sale, proof of vat, ssr registration.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2012, 07:06   #10

Thanks all for the info - I also found a link to a PDF with the CEVNI signs for learning, there's an RYA book also.
Old 25 June 2012, 12:15   #11

Town: Eastbourne
Make: Elling K430SL
Engine: 5hp 2T
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker View Post
This is really interesting - I took my sib to France and was told by a boat chandler in La Tranche that is was ok to use an unregistered SIB (with an outboard) up to 300m from the shore. I didn't get stopped or challenged by anyone & launched it in the marina. I do remember about 25 yrs ago on a family holiday my uncles tiny SIB was registered for use on French rivers. I have just registered my Avon with the SSR which I'm weirdly excited about. Need to get out more!

I think you're alright with up to 6hp in France, ie no licencing or registration required. Hope so, found out the SSR on my little Avon expired in 1995!
Old 25 June 2012, 13:09   #12

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
Have a look at :

Sailing Licences and Boat Permits in France - AngloINFO French Riviera, in the Côte d'Azur (France)

If you're an RYA member, give them a call.
Old 05 July 2012, 21:00   #13

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: Dennis & no name
Make: Avon Sportboat & SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 3.5 & ??
Great link - thank you