Old 26 April 2004, 12:26   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Painting the floor advice please? :)

I know i'll have to rub down the floor first and remove all the flakey bits, I want to keep it the same orange colour so what paint do I need to do this please?

Any advice well appreciated thanks
Old 26 April 2004, 13:36   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Ollyit.... the deck on a searider is moulded and has a ripple effect on it, best bet IMHO is to spray it with orange gell coat, why your at it patch up and spray the transom, have a stainless steel cap made for the top of the transom and sikaflex it in place, will stop water ingress from the top longterm.

If your feeling brave drill a big hole through at deck level and fit an elephants trunk, makes shipping water out very easy.
Once re sprayed stick down some grey deck grip.
Old 26 April 2004, 14:17   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ght=deck+paint

I have painted smooth decks before but not sure if it would work on an Avon. As already pointed out its quite a rough surface therefore you might wear the paint of the top of the ridges and it might need doing again. Still the non slip paint is easy enough to use.

Not sure about spraying gelcoat though, its very thick stuff and hard enough to apply with a 4" bush in a mould.

Agree with drilling the transom and fitting a donkeys dick to bail the water out.

Pete
Old 26 April 2004, 14:42   #4

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Pete's right it would be easier and cheaper to paint gell coat onto the keyed up deck, never used deck paint, i believe that gell coat is harder wearing and looks better, and gives a better finished surface, with non slip deck mats down too will look great..... up to you though.

R
Old 26 April 2004, 15:45   #5

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
I have just repainted my decks with Protectakote which you can get in a larger range of colours than most deck paints.

This stuff cover up a multitude of sins as it has a textured finish.

To prep you just sand to key the deck, wipe down with acetone and roll it on, if you have moulded non slip you would probably want to sand most of this down but even on uneven surfaces the texture of this paint seems to smooth it out.

If you choose this option order the special solvent to clean up any spills as it sticks like sh*# to a blanket

Contact - Paco Systems www.paco-systems.co.uk
Old 26 April 2004, 18:44   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
What paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit

I know i'll have to rub down the floor first and remove all the flakey bits, I want to keep it the same orange colour so what paint do I need to do this please?

Any advice well appreciated thanks
I was involved with some ship refits a while ago and an orange that was a similar colour was called "international orange" - used on ships lifeboats. Might be worth investigating this from a marine safety equipment suppliers. With a touch of non-slip grit in strategic places should be OK.

My boat had the interior painted by the previous owner and the orange he used is much darker than the Avon Orange. I have since painted panels of green non slip paint where needed. It doesnt seem to wear through but I did sand the areas thoroughly before hand.

Your boat looks like a project with some work to do!
I have just cleaned my tubes with a product called RIB Revive and they came up like new for only half an hours work.

Unfortunately was given the stuff so don't know where to get it from.

Duncan
Old 26 April 2004, 18:50   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
a product called RIB Revive... was given the stuff so don't know where to get it from.
Hi Duncan,

You can get RIB Revive from Scott at RIB Repair www.ribrepair.com or from The RIB repair Centre at Saxon Wharf.

Alternatively you could try a toxic thinner called Toluene.... but let's not go there!

HTH!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2004, 07:09   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Hi Richard,

Alternatively you could try a toxic thinner called Toluene.... but let's not go there!
Old 27 April 2004, 07:33   #9

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Hi Duncan,

You can get RIB Revive from Scott at RIB Repair www.ribrepair.com or from The RIB repair Centre at Saxon Wharf. HTH!
Its moved to the Hamble, obviously Zap Cats are going up inthe market and the River Itchen isn't classy enough.

P
Old 27 April 2004, 18:38   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B

HTH!
You speak for yourself!

--------------------------------------

Ollyit, If you use gelcoat, you'll need to put wax into it or it will remain tacky and it will soon be horrible. However, after gelcoating with the wax added, it will be more than slightly slippery - dangerously slippery. Especially when wet. You will have to do more than this.

If having a good grippy deck is desirable, and it usually is, apply one coat of gel with a roller. While it is still wet sprinkle some grit onto it and allow it to go off. After this, apply one more coat of gel using the roller and containing the wax. Grit can easily and cheaply be got from a pet shop. Make a shaker from a tin with holes pierced into the bottom. Cover the top just incase you spill or drop it accidentally.

I'm presuming you realise you'll have to prepare the old deck first.

The wax is added as a very small quantity and it is often known as 'solution MW'. Do a search on gelcoat because it has been discussed often on ribnet.
Old 28 April 2004, 15:55   #11

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
thanks for all your help so people, Ive got a load to think, Im gonna go for the "elephant trunk" thing definitely and get a qoute for the tube cleaning stuff from rib repair -

gonna call around for the paint for the floor, - ill be posting pics the whole way