Old 25 September 2010, 17:47   #11

Town: Lochcarron
Make: pacific 22,Naiad 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford mermaid, Yam
PAC 22 shake down and test day, results..

Saturday started sunny and flat mirror calm out on my local sea loch.

I beached my Pac higher than usual so i had lots of time to get the spanners into her
as the tide dropped away.

First job check and compare both props, same dia same pitch, but the michigan prop is
definately thinner blades, so i fitted that.

Steering ram needed some more bleeding, really is a job for two people though.
System is filled with Dexron ATF which seems to be the correct fluid according to
manuals etc.
After much pushing and pulling on the leg i finally managed to clear a small air bubble
from it.. Job done it feels great on the wheel.

Trim tab set to dead centre and locked.
Now for the engine, oil and filter changed, sea cock filter cleaned, alt belt tensioned,
Pre fuel filter swapped, Helm control box swapped for a new unit, for smoother more positive throttle action.

Checked round all hoses and clamps, cables etc.
I did find both stern engine mounting main nuts were loose, so i nipped them down.

While i was cleaning round the injection pump i found it had 155hp engraved on the
metal tag on the side, so i guess that answers things for me.

Turbo unit is a KKK unit, could this be a standard or boosted unit??.Time will tell when the tide tide comes back in...

Old 26 September 2010, 07:51   #12

Town: Comrie
Boat name: Explorer 1
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 170hp
Pac 22

I was operating an ATV up at Glen Garry then I headed to SKY, think I was about 20miles from LochCarron at one point on the passing.

Planning a trip from Ballachulish over to Mull next weekend in the boat if the weathers ok.
Just given her a good service fitted VHF and Antenna , Bowman hatch in fordeck, re upholstered seats.new leg oil

Cant wait to get out again, hope the weathers ok.

Old 26 September 2010, 12:25   #13

Sunday sea trials, results.

Sunday morning, mirror flat sea conditions, all ready for a test drive.

Boat is empty apart from 3/4 full tank (90LT). Leg is trimmed fully in, trim tab centred.

Ease the stick forward 1200rpm til i get into deeper water, then feel the turbo come in
at about 1500-1600rpm, boat is rising up on the bow, steering feels pretty heavy left or right.

Throttle up to around 2200rpm ,were picking up speed, steering still heavy, now start trimming the leg out, were on the plane in about 10-15 sec i guess, revs at 2350 and still climbing, still trimming leg out, getting faster, GPS reads 28 mph, now its going , still more trim out, i can feel its still accelerating and lifting.

Speed 32mph, engine 2500 rpm, just starting to cavitate, steering still heavy but getting lighter. cavitation stops and we accelerate a little more.
Max rpm happens at 35mph, 2600rpm, steering very light indeed. Trim up anymore and she starts to porpoise, slight lean to starboard but only slight.

Now were cruising along, turning easy from side to side, what a different feel to the boat now, its amazing..!!!.Thanks to helpful tips from Ian Austin and other PAC owners on this forum.
All i need now is a new leg drive yoke and bearings, after discovering yesterday they are both knackered, lots of play in the pivot pin, which needs sorting soon.
Old 26 September 2010, 13:10   #14

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi Doug
I am very pleased for you that it all worked out, now get out and find some BIG waves and enjoy.

That it, tomorrow i am going to spend on the Atlantic

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 18:53   #15

Pacific 22 technical problems

Hi Ian

Had a good day out on the boat, me and the wife went for a spin this evening.

Trip over to Plockton about ten miles each way, ended up meeting a friends boat offshore, gave him a big surprise, he thought we were Customs and Excise!!!.

He forgot all about my new rib, ha ha. His face was a picture when we pulled alongside.

We all ended up having a beach BBQ on some island, we only got back about an hour ago
navigation by star light, but luckily i knew the local area and the tide was high.

The best nights are always un-planned i guess??

I dont suppose you remember the bearing and seal sizes do you?. Did the main vertical pin come out easy?, mine looks like its welded to the yoke its been in that long..Grease nipple has long since snapped off..

As for the yoke, its been welded on the starboard side, just where the steering ram locates and has a small crack above where the hydraulic union fits through the casting..