Old 06 September 2005, 11:05   #11

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Are these boats really expensive to run? Saving a few pence on diesel and spending thousands on repairs may not endear me to my personal financial manager/girlfriend who is already suspicious about my claims that buying a P22 will save money!
I think the answer is that it all depends

Any boat can be expensive to run if you donít maintain it properly, if you buy one in a shocking state then expect to spend money and via versa. Over the time Iíve owned my one I know it has cost me less than the Tornado I had before.
The one thing that really used to piss me off was coming back from a good day on the water and having to put £150 of petrol in the tank now if I try really hard I spend £40 and the P22 is bigger and dryer than the Tornado

When you think that one of these new is well over £100K (did someone say £138k) you get a lot when you buy second hand and it will always be worth about the same (if looked after). Compare that to buying a new boat in a few years it will be worth half what you paid for it Des

Old 06 September 2005, 11:29   #12

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
second that

des is spot on - had quite a bit of experience with artics & pacs in the RN and whilst people moaned about them (especially the poor sods who had to maintain them), they are bullet proof both in terms of being beaten up on a regular basis and residual value if looked after properly. Some of the stuff we did with these ribs day in day out would have broken my Ballistic in minutes and will probably be worth the same in a couple of years.. friend of mine who works in defence procurement reckons that £94k is the going rate for one so that to me means decent value for money.

Old 06 September 2005, 11:43   #13

Length: no boat
And don't you just lurve the sound of that rumpity rump Ford Turbo 4 in there!!!

I know i do.....

Go on, stick a 200hp T4 in there. You know you want to...
Old 06 September 2005, 12:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
And don't you just lurve the sound of that rumpity rump Ford Turbo 4 in there!!!....
Yep going to have a little listen now Des
Old 06 September 2005, 12:17   #15

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: 150 Diesel
Thanks again Des for putting my mind at rest - a reassured girly agrees that a P22 is a sound investment, but has warned that if it all goes t*ts up then she'll chuck me out and you get to keep the dog.

Donuts - your sound advice about if it "floats flys or f**ks - rent" it came too late unfortunately to prevent me from becoming a goose farmer...
Old 06 September 2005, 12:23   #16

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
geese

Old 06 September 2005, 14:44   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
QUESTION (if you are all still reading - sorry, prattling on a bit). I want to get hold of another spare prop. Lancing are looking at £346-62 incl pp+VAT. Cant really afford that at the moment but would be very happy to have a repairable prop for a reasonable consideration.
Me neither, so this is what I have found out to date about props for P22s. The original props were made by Michigan Wheel and marked SMC 807. Spoke to Keypart the UK importer and they are no longer made unfortunately.

Lancings props are made by Sillette, Lancing don't even bother opening the box, just post it on to you. They are much thicker blades than the originals, don't know how this effect performance though. Unfortunately Sillette won't sell you a single prop, there seems to be some sort of closed shop with Lancing, possibly because they buy them in bulk or make a special order for them when stocks run low.

http://www.sillette.co.uk/first.htm

Spoke with Julie at Steel Developements and she confirmed that a long hub volvo prop will fit with a spacer (presumably at the back so the nut can reach the prop). however volvos are only 16" diameter so steel Developements don't recommend them. Need an engineer to work out what the difference in performance would be with a 16" diamenter prop over the standard 16.75" or if I find a really cheap volvo prop might just fit it to see. anyone know what less daimeter more pitch does ?

Haven't tried Poole Propellors yet, we need someone in Lymington to drive down and have a chat with them.

Also the drive seems to have been manfactured under the name or by "Dana" in the states. The saga continues, (much to the groans from the rest of the forum )

Pete
Old 06 September 2005, 15:01   #18

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Go on, stick a 200hp T4 in there. You know you want to...
Out of interest what performance do you get from a 200?
Old 07 September 2005, 03:56   #19

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
29 - 30 knots.

Pete
Old 07 September 2005, 04:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
.......Haven't tried Poole Propellors yet, we need someone in Lymington to drive down and have a chat with them......
Willing to go but why the need for a personal visit donít they have a phone Des