Old 12 September 2004, 18:32   #1
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
P22 deck attachment......

After undertaking some work inside the hull of my P22, i need to start thinking about attaching my new forward section marine ply deck as the original was damaged during the 'wrecking' process.

The deck sections will consist of 2 x 4' x 4' marine ply panels which will be self tapped in to the main bulkheads and stringers etc of the hull.

However, i am looking for suggestions as to how the deck should be finally sealed.........

Easy options as i see it are sikaflex or epoxy although i have sort of established that the originals were attached with a combination of hatch tape and polysulphide sealant, myself not being familiar with either of these products?????

Does anybody out there have any ideas as to hard wearing products that will be suitable in the long run for this kind of job or, could anybody enlighten me as to the hatch tape/polysulphide method?

Thanks

SEB
Old 13 September 2004, 08:23   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
However, i am looking for suggestions as to how the deck should be finally sealed.........
Does anybody out there have any ideas as to hard wearing products that will be suitable in the long run for this kind of job or, could anybody enlighten me as to the hatch tape/polysulphide method?

SEB
ARBOKOL 1000 is a polysulphide and is what was used on my boat but there is no evidence of hatch tape. It looks like they just laid a large bead alone the top of the stringers and screwed the deck down through this. I’ve used ARBOKOL a lot and like it, it is much easier to handle than some sealants and doesn’t cost the earth.
Are you going to fit a hatch in the foredeck?
Des

Des
Old 13 September 2004, 12:33   #3
Seb

Will give the sealant a go although i may well try and get some hatch tape to fit too.

Did you take the deck up on yours too?

The plan is to put a hatch in the deck - trying to find a fairly decent one which doesnt cost the earth isnt too easy though.

Ideally i want a solid hatch as im afraid that the glass/perspex centred ones will have an anchor or something dropped on them!!

Have you got a hatch in yours des?

SEB
Old 13 September 2004, 12:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
Will give the sealant a go although i may well try and get some hatch tape to fit too.

Did you take the deck up on yours too?

The plan is to put a hatch in the deck - trying to find a fairly decent one which doesnt cost the earth isnt too easy though.

Ideally i want a solid hatch as im afraid that the glass/perspex centred ones will have an anchor or something dropped on them!!

Have you got a hatch in yours des?

SEB
On the whole my deck is ok, having said that I might do it in a year or two and fit a new tank at the same time.

I had one of the white ABS hatches to start with but it really wasn’t up to the job despite the fact that they say you can walk on them. I now have a vetus Planus 5050 (£140) which is just the right width to fit between the longitudinals. I think this hatch is strong enough and because it is low profile you don’t trip over it.

Des
Old 13 September 2004, 20:24   #5
Seb

Bits

Off the deck subject but des, you seem to know where many of the parts for P22's come from so, what about these......

Steering system and a starter button that will fit the standard inst. panel?

Thinking theres going to be a fair few more queries like these in the not too distant future too!

Cheers

SEB
Old 16 September 2004, 07:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
Off the deck subject but des, you seem to know where many of the parts for P22's come from so, what about these......

Steering system and a starter button that will fit the standard inst. panel?

Thinking theres going to be a fair few more queries like these in the not too distant future too!

Cheers

SEB
Seb
Original steering is a Wagner 701 helm pump form Hamilton Jet (01342 313437)
The original switch was made Prestolite NATO stock number o567 5930-99-805-4091
Des
Old 16 September 2004, 08:25   #7
Seb

Thanking you VERY much!!

Cheers
Old 16 September 2004, 08:29   #8

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi Des
Do you have any idea where i can get a set of engine mounts from ????
I have tried Mermaid and ther out of stock and what a price.

Seb
what happened to a towable Rib, i have a second hand start button ( Volvo ) and i says start on it( so you can't get confused ) and it's waterproof. i can bring to Cardiff if you want race weekend.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 08:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Austin
Hi Des
Do you have any idea where i can get a set of engine mounts from ????
I have tried Mermaid and ther out of stock and what a price.
The originals are Silentbloc ME12339 (tel 01283 510510)

Des
Old 16 September 2004, 08:45   #10

Des
many thanks mate
What would us mortals do without the likes of yourself and Pete 7.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 16 September 2004, 08:47   #11
Seb

Des, do you know everything about these boats or have you got a spec sheet to chaet with??!!

Ian, the towable RIB went out the window - ive regretted selling the boat to you ever since i saw it being towed away!! Ah well, live an learn - the one ive got now isnt like yours though....its a bit of a wreck!

Wouldnt want to bother you with the starter ian, its a pain for you if your busy that weekend. Anyway, it does have to fit the standard instrument panel. Would it?

Is yours in top shape des? If so, would love to see some pics of it - may encourage me to work a bit harder on mine! Also, have you got a website for that prestolite place?

Cheers guys
Old 16 September 2004, 08:59   #12

Seb
Sorry to say it is looking a bit tired, after the case of the disapearing jerry cans through the deck, a tempory hatch cover has been fitted, the engine mounts are shot and now i have a bearing grumbleing bearing on the outdrive, i have been so busy up till now that i have only kept it serviced.

The trailer is getting two new axles very soon, for Cardiff and while it is out i will do the outdrive, i looked yesterday and i have done 130 hrs since i picked it up from you, very , very happy with it, cant think of anything i could replace it with.

Cardiff would not be a problem, we could meet up and have a beer ?????.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 16 September 2004, 09:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
Des, do you know everything about these boats or have you got a spec sheet to chaet with??!!
No, I just had to find a lot of these parts myself so keep a list for reference.

www.prestolite.co.uk/ for the switch. My boat is in reasonable condition but it has taken time, found one photo and I’ll try and post some more pics soon. How much is missing from your boat?

Des
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib mooring.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	8219  
Old 16 September 2004, 10:03   #14
Seb

Ian, sorry to hear about the problems youve had - think its mainly to do with the age - im anticipating them all over again with this one - must be mad!!

If your bringing it up to Cardiff, would be nice to see it again and yes, im definately up for a beer at some time. Let me know the dates etc and ill pop down.

If you did want to replace her with anything better, i think your only option would be to buy a bigger one!! Maybe a Pacific 28 0r 32? Big bucks though!!

Des, she looks good from a distance - your lucky youve got the later Henshaw tubes. They make hell of a difference. What year is she?

If you have got a list of parts etc, would you mind if i keep bothering you when i need a bit? Close up piccies would be nice too if you can find any!!

Will have to post some pics of my wreck soonish.

Cheers

SEB
Old 16 September 2004, 10:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
........... What year is she?

If you have got a list of parts etc, would you mind if i keep bothering you when i need a bit...........
SEB
She is a 91 boat with 96 tubes, which I got from the MOD.

I’m only too happy to let you know any part numbers I have because I know how frustrating it is trying to find these bits.

Des
Old 16 September 2004, 21:36   #16

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
Ian, sorry to hear about the problems youve had - think its mainly to do with the age - im anticipating them all over again with this one - must be mad!!

If your bringing it up to Cardiff, would be nice to see it again and yes, im definately up for a beer at some time. Let me know the dates etc and ill pop down.

If you did want to replace her with anything better, i think your only option would be to buy a bigger one!! Maybe a Pacific 28 0r 32? Big bucks though!!

Des, she looks good from a distance - your lucky youve got the later Henshaw tubes. They make hell of a difference. What year is she?

If you have got a list of parts etc, would you mind if i keep bothering you when i need a bit? Close up piccies would be nice too if you can find any!!

Will have to post some pics of my wreck soonish.

Cheers

SEB
Follow all pac 22 threads closely as we hope to get one soon.
Why do henshaw tubes make such a difference to original tubes??
Paul
Old 17 September 2004, 06:52   #17
Seb

IMHO theres nothing wrong with the originals at all - theyre still of very heavy duty construction and are of a better quality than the majority of tubes out there.

However, i have been told that the build quality of the Henshaw tubes are even more superior and of course, they look more up to date and with it.

Also, i think they will tend to get less shabby after time as the lobster back type cladding on the originals is notorious for wear!

Cheers
Old 17 September 2004, 08:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
IMHO theres nothing wrong with the originals at all - theyre still of very heavy duty construction and are of a better quality than the majority of tubes out there.

However, i have been told that the build quality of the Henshaw tubes are even more superior and of course, they look more up to date and with it.

Also, i think they will tend to get less shabby after time as the lobster back type cladding on the originals is notorious for wear!

Cheers
Seb you’re right there is nothing wrong with original tubes, in fact Henshaw made a lot of them.

One of the reasons these tubes look scruffy is that they have a ‘matt’ finish which tends to hold the dirt.

FPT who also made tubes for some P22 used a poorer grade of material. FPT will supply tubes if you ask but I am not convinced that they make them.

If you need any of the ‘lobster back’ cladding let me know, I know a place that used to have some.

Des
Old 17 September 2004, 08:55   #19

Just some quick pics,

I tried to keep the original idea of having helmsman totally at the centre of things. Garman fish and GPS both 3 years old and still working. Silva S15 screen dodgy so back under warranty in November. Kill cord bottom right (cropped the photo too hard and can’t see it now). Foot straps glued to the deck by Navy, not pulled them off yet

The folding A frame allows me to store the boat in a low building and use a local slip which has low trees over the entrance.

I keep the CQR on the deck so I can deploy it quickly (30 secs).

The foredeck hatch covers an enormous locker.

Des
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a frame hinge2.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	8251   Click image for larger version

Name:	folddown a frame2.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	8252   Click image for larger version

Name:	foredeck2.JPG