Old 11 September 2016, 19:24   #1

Town: Birmingham
Make: Ribeye
Length: under 3m
Engine: 8hp Mercury 2 stroke
Oxwich launch

Hi,

Was browsing for information for launching RIB from oxwich bay. This would be my first voyage.

RIB is 2.7m with 8hp engine. Am I allowed to take my 4x4 directly onto Oxwich beach? If so is there a charge for this? I was thinking about launching directly from the beach rather than using a slipway. Any information or general advice about the beach/safety would be greatly appreciated. As I am a tad nervous.

Thank you in advance

Ali
Old 12 September 2016, 12:03   #2

Town: Swansea
Make: HydroForce Nav Rapid
Engine: Johnson 4hp MY2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I was thinking about launching directly from the beach rather than using a slipway.
The only access to the whole bay, which is privately owned, is via the car park and slipway.

4x4 are allowed on beach for launch and recovery. Trailered boat access to the car park and slipway is a variable charge depending on time of year etc. and is around the £10 mark. However, boats must be registered and an insurance certificate is required for registration, registration is £25 per year and a form and details are available here Oxwich Beach, Gower-self-catering-Swansea & Gower-holiday accommodation If you do not register, the parking charge is £25 per visit.

It is a great bay for launching with a shallow slope (a little steeper at high water) and calm seas.

I have a 2.7m SIB which means I can pay standard car parking charges £3.50 - £4.50 as it is not trailered.
Hope this helps.
Old 12 September 2016, 12:04   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
If your happy to take 4x4 onto the beach and its only small SIB your be fine .... we launched Bigger RIBS there in the summer thou and it was a nightmare!! very shallow and tide goes out a long way
Old 12 September 2016, 12:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
we launched Bigger RIBS there in the summer thou and it was a nightmare!! very shallow and tide goes out a long way
Can be very, very busy, it is a very popular beach for bathers and boaters due to it being so sheltered, avoid bank holidays if you don’t want to queue an hour or so just to get into car park.

Yes, the tide does go out a long way, Bristol Channel has the 3rd highest tidal range in the world.
Old 12 September 2016, 15:14   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Your sib is small enough not to cause issues... There are a few people around with tractors who launch larger craft, and if the water sports guys are there they will launch with their quad for a fee.

I was charged £21 last time sign says £11.50........ Never known anyone be asked for insurance etc tho....
Old 12 September 2016, 15:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner View Post
The only access to the whole bay, which is privately owned, is via the car park and slipway.

4x4 are allowed on beach for launch and recovery. Trailered boat access to the car park and slipway is a variable charge depending on time of year etc. and is around the £10 mark. However, boats must be registered and an insurance certificate is required for registration, registration is £25 per year and a form and details are available here Oxwich Beach, Gower-self-catering-Swansea & Gower-holiday accommodation If you do not register, the parking charge is £25 per visit.

It is a great bay for launching with a shallow slope (a little steeper at high water) and calm seas.

I have a 2.7m SIB which means I can pay standard car parking charges £3.50 - £4.50 as it is not trailered.
Hope this helps.
Thank you all for your replies, especially AdrianTurner for your detailed reply. I have applied for registration. My sub 3m RIB is carried on my roof bars so should be standard parking fee one hopes!
Old 12 September 2016, 17:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I was charged £21 last time sign says £11.50........ Never known anyone be asked for insurance etc tho....
You are not asked for insurance at car park, you are required to provide proof of insurance when registering with Oxwich Boat Club. If not registered you are charged £25 each visit (your charge of £21, I assume, was prior to 14th June 2016)
Old 12 September 2016, 17:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Thank you all for your replies, especially AdrianTurner for your detailed reply. I have applied for registration. My sub 3m RIB is carried on my roof bars so should be standard parking fee one hopes!
You're welcome, don't know what they will charge with RIB on roof, my SIB is in a bag in the boot and for some reason I keep forgeting to mention it to the guy taking parking fees.
Old 12 September 2016, 21:05   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
No I was there recently, I only tend to go once a year or so, seems odd that you pay £25 (or whatever they feel like charging) but don't need insurance, but you do if you join......

Totally illogical but hey it's their car park their rules..... I much prefer to arrive by sea than car......
Old 14 September 2016, 09:17   #10

Sent documents to Penrice Estates regarding annual permit, followed up by phone call. They are not accepting new members until January 1st 2017. Until then £25 per visit. Wish I owned a beach
Old 14 September 2016, 13:39   #11

Thats a blow. Did they say why they are not accepting new members until January?
Old 14 September 2016, 15:52   #12

Simply stating they are not taking more members this year as it is end of season. That they are accepting new membership from the new year and that from Jan 2017 it will be members only. Was informed that it would be £25 per visit until end of this year. I did ask whether they were over subscribed but did not really get a proper explanation.