Town: vienna
Boat name: --
Make: avon
Length: 4,7
Engine: Mercury 500
Send a message via Yahoo to dodl
Wow, so many replies...
Where to start?

Of course i am very careful, and indeed i thought i'll pass on it. Then i read the Post from Rogue wave. Well, the boat is rated up to 140kg on the transom. 2 50HP Mercs (which i have) are about 160-180kg. Right now i have 60 Litres fuel and the battery at the stern, which will move up front, since i build a new console, where the tanks can be installed.

I would not use SS struts, but want to laminate some Transom knees. My only concern was /is the stability of the deck. Knees would distribute the stress over a lenght of 25-30cm to the deck. 4, maybe 6 knees would be possible. They shall be of 20mm Plywood, mounted to transom and deck with 2" epoxy/microfibre fillet joints, glassed with two layers of biaxial tape. The boat is rated for 70HP. In fact 2x50 would be about the same as a single 75HP engine. I am sure the knees would be strong enough, but i do not know about the deck and the hull itself. Of course the transom itself would be strengthened with a ss plate an fillet joints all around.

Today i saw pics of a Bombard Explorer which runs with 200HP instead of 65. Compared to this, i am very conservative

Nick - great job with your carbs. And thanks for the offer of the pic's...

dodl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2004, 08:17   #12
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131

I have just E Mailed you the pictures of the transom.

Hope it helps.

Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote