Town: North Wales
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
MMSI: 235068145
Outer Hebrides Rocks !

Hi Guys

No - not a post about hebridean granite but 'rocks' as in - so cool!!! I have just got back from a trip on west coast of Lewis on a recce for a future trip with maverick and friends. What a place - some of the most stunning coastline and seas I have seen since Norway.

The area was being hit by pretty strong gales whilst we were there and we recced (by car) the coast around Maivaig to Brenish all in Uig. Huge waves although I was being told by a local that these werre nothing!! haha

Met up at the Seatrek offices and they have some sweet delta's moored up. Definately worth a visit - the whole area is ribbing heaven.. !

Ronin
Old 09 July 2010, 14:02   #2

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
the whole area is ribbing heaven.. !
Hey Ronin, glad you had a great time. I live on the West Coast of Lewis on Gt Bernera, just across the West Loch Roag from Uig. Have lived here over 3 years and still haven't got round to getting a rib and getting out on the water...more fool me. Needless to say the sea and beautiful scenery mocks me for this every time I am out for a walk along the coast! Trying to remedy the problem as we speak.

There are a few Outer Heb. guys on here that could no doubt give you some info. for your future trip.
Old 10 July 2010, 09:31   #3

Town: North Wales
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
MMSI: 235068145
Thanks - good to know!! Will make the trip later in the year - I have a good base sorted and brilliant slip access resolved. Now just need to save up for the journey :-)

Ronin
Old 11 July 2010, 09:04   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks - good to know!! Will make the trip later in the year - I have a good base sorted and brilliant slip access resolved. Now just need to save up for the journey :-)

Ronin
I've got family over there and have made the return trip pretty much every year. It is indeed boating heaven, and a good base for trips to St Kilda and the Flannans for the more adventurous, although I'm happy enough fishing for lobster and general beach-combing by rib!

You need to check out Reef beach in Uig. On a beautiful day - the sea is emerald in colour.

If you go to Mangersta, then onto the road-end in Brenish (old world war II army camp), you can see Scarp. Again only accessible by boat.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 12 July 2010, 07:34   #5

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Hi Guys

No - not a post about hebridean granite but 'rocks' as in - so cool!!! I have just got back from a trip on west coast of Lewis on a recce for a future trip with maverick and friends. What a place - some of the most stunning coastline and seas I have seen since Norway.

The area was being hit by pretty strong gales whilst we were there and we recced (by car) the coast around Maivaig to Brenish all in Uig. Huge waves although I was being told by a local that these werre nothing!! haha

Met up at the Seatrek offices and they have some sweet delta's moored up. Definately worth a visit - the whole area is ribbing heaven.. !

Ronin
I have been there twice having delivered a Parker 10 mtr twin diesel rib.

the place is just stunning the ideal ribbing place with crystal clear waters and sandy beaches. Mind you, you will need a wet suit if you plan to go swimming.

Murray who runs Seatrek is a great guy. He knows the area very well so a trip on his Delta rib is a must if you are in the area. see http://www.seatrek.co.uk/