Old 18 February 2011, 10:01   #21

Town: Bembridge
Boat name: Mellow Yellow
Make: Scorpion Pioneer
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards Twin 250's
MMSI: 235024352
rackers

Thank you Ghannel Islander for your comments, I have contacted some suppliers of Spot Hugs and they are coming back to me, reference suitability. Your other point re a loop system, would kiil two birds with one stone "as they say". I will go back to the insurers on this point for their comments, but having just spoken with the agent they think the idea is to track the outboards
All the best Martin
Old 18 February 2011, 10:07   #22

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Humphray View Post
Thank you Ghannel Islander for your comments, I have contacted some suppliers of Spot Hugs and they are coming back to me.
No trouble.

www.channelribs.com/gear/spot.html

Let me know what info you need.

(NB Those shop pages are still in testing, but hopefully the price is favourable)
Old 18 February 2011, 14:24   #23

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: True Spirit
Make: Ribeye 785 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
We sell these locks, very very good, not the cheapest but they have been proving to be about the best on the market.

http://www.outboardmotorlocks.co.uk/...t-volcano.html

And you get discount with us so they are £50.54 plus poatage.
The website states that for Yamaha , you only go up to 225HP mine is 250HP?????
Old 18 February 2011, 20:28   #24

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
This story struck a chord with me, as rarely do you see your outboard (or in this case the boat and the outboard) being stolen and captured on CCTV.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38844

The police are always slow to react. Let's face it, this type of crime (although horrendous for the owner) is low-down on their priority list. There's not enough communication between forces at the best of times. I would have thought the larger HP engines are stolen for an overseas market, where questions on ownership and registration documentation, are virtually non-existent.

The outboard manufacturers could do a lot more. I know Yamaha are making developments with Y-COP for 4-stroke engines from 30hp - 100hp (electronic immobiliser), although I don't know enough about it. With anything, if there's enough demand, then the technical underworld will find a way of over-coming manufacturer anti-theft devices so the engines can be resold.

My advice, for what it's worth is to think like a thief. If you think your own security (such as a boat yard or marina) is poor, then a professional thief will already have it on their hit list. You'd have thought of removing a 280kg (225hp engine) would be a logistical nightmare, but these bu**ers have it down to a fine art. Fences, gates, locks, you name it, will be cut and removed.

For me, an easy to maintain tracker device with integral battery has to be the way, especially on high value boats and engines. Either that or start sleeping onboard!
Old 20 February 2011, 12:38   #25

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
There's a guy over this way - Kevin Hennessy - and he's been doing a lot of work in this area. He started out with a kind of catch-all boat monitor and alarm system which covered things like a boat drifting off it's mooring, loss of shorepower, hatch intrusion, etc .....but I spoke to him recently and he mentioned that he's close to developing a solution to the exact problems identified in previous posts - ie: a small tracking device, hidden within an outboard that could relay details/location remotely. I'm not in any way a part of the business. I know he's got a new website coming online in the next week or so, but if you google 'Boatwarden' you should get some of the previous details. I'll try and speak to him and get an update
Old 20 February 2011, 12:44   #26

£425 is quite steep compared to the two similar products that I know of: Yacht Sentinel and Spot Hug.

http://www.boatwarden.com/store/

It will be interesting to see something designed specifically for mounting to an outboard though.
Old 20 February 2011, 17:46   #27

Outboards Tracker

Thank you all for your helpand advice, I will have to study the details of your suggestions, one other that has been suggested is www.redknows.com , the mini finder. All the best Martin
Old 21 February 2011, 12:53   #28

Town: Youghal
Length: 8m +
BoatWarden

Hi Guys I was asked to look at this forum by a friend, which is something I don't normally do.
Channel ribs, if you look at yacht sentinel it is (+ Vat) and you have to buy all the sensors seperately which makes it much more expensive than our product where we include everything. At present we have a wire which runs through your outboard and if someone cuts the wire it will ring an alarm and send up to 5 users a SMS with an intruder alert.
We are launching a new website next week which will give you the option to purchase the main unit and whatever sensors you require for your particular boat requirements.

Ppenman, I feel for your pain in the loss of your outboards. The problem with small GPS trackers like "redKnows" is that the internal battery only lasts about 80 hours so it is hard to track your outboard after that time has expired.
I am launching a tracker in a couple of weeks which has no wires it is IP67 rated, has a standby battery of up to 3 years. It is the size of a match box. It will operate fully awake for 4 months, plug it in to a USB port to charge. It is easly hidden inside an outboard engine with it's own magnet, or use cable ties to secure it. Black in color with no markings which looks like a relay or an electric coyle.
Being a boat owner and a victum of outboard theft myself I realize the need for such a unique device.
Keep an eye on our website. www.boatwarden.com
Old 21 February 2011, 13:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBW View Post
Channel ribs, if you look at yacht sentinel it is (+ Vat) and you have to buy all the sensors seperately which makes it much more expensive than our product where we include everything.
I did look for mention on your site of VAT, having spotted none I thought the price must have been without.

Quote:
no wires it,
is IP67 rated,
standby battery of up to 3 years,
size of a match box,
operate fully awake for 4 months,
plug it in to a USB port to charge,
easily hidden inside an outboard engine with it's own magnet,
no markings which looks like a relay.
That sounds like an outstanding product.

Icing on the cake would be the ability to download the positional history when charging via the USB, I can think of a few people that would find that very interesting.

Any idea on price as yet?
Old 21 February 2011, 13:29   #30

Town: Youghal
Length: 8m +
BoatWarden

Hi Chanell
Yes you will be able to download all the history and if required you could look at it live on our server but there would be an additional fee.
The new product will retail for around €249 including VAT. I will keep you posted.

I am new to all of this forum stuff and appologise for promoting my product here. Can anyone tell me how to become a comercial member.
Thanks
Old 21 February 2011, 13:46   #31

outboard Trackers

Interesting comments Kev, as my insurers are looking specifically for outboard trackers, I will be very interested in your product, please mail me with the info on the tracker, as soon as it has been tried and tested. I have tried to get the insurers to reccomend a tracker to no avail, I don't think they know that much about them, and I feel the owness is put us to prove their suitability to do the job. I wish you well with this product. All the best Martin. Email add. mhumphray@aol.com
Old 21 February 2011, 19:18   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Humphray
Having had two Yamaha's 250 stolen last year, and now that my insurance renewal is due, they are more or less insisting that I fit trackers to each of my replacement outboards
if the insurer / broker insist on you fitting such a product but are unable to identify suitable practical examples then I'd be looking for a new broker.

Quote:
I am new to all of this forum stuff and appologise for promoting my product here. Can anyone tell me how to become a comercial member.
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18835
Old 31 March 2011, 07:35   #33

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: zapcat 74
Make: gemini
Engine: tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
We sell these locks, very very good, not the cheapest but they have been proving to be about the best on the market.

http://www.outboardmotorlocks.co.uk/...t-volcano.html

And you get discount with us so they are £50.54 plus poatage.
How do you qualify for discount on these? I'd like to buy one.
Old 31 March 2011, 15:53   #34

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeyup View Post
How do you qualify for discount on these? I'd like to buy one.
Hello,

Unfortunatley since i put this on here i have sold out of locks at that price!. I have just ordered some more, but they have put the prices up, so we are now selling them for £60 plus delivery.