Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 October 2011, 22:32   #21

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Cap style just to suit the switch on the control unit, I think they might have been a suzuki specific design, it looks like it snaps over and depresses a central pin. Happy to buy new and I think I have found a chap from on here who will sort me out so that ones ticked of the list!
Old 24 October 2011, 10:14   #22

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Ref. your smoke generation - just how old is the fuel? Also any idea how the Previous owner treated the mix? When I got my Boat with the Yam the guy said (and I paraphrase slightly) "I accurately mix the oil, then throw in a cupfull for good measure!

Have a search for mix ratios - I posted a thing to calculate how much oil to "preload" an empty tank with. Lots of people used to "add a but more just so it doesn't seize", resulting in some remarkably oily mixtures. Also might be worth changing the plugs unless you know they are new.

If it still smokes after a decent mix has passed through the carbs, you may need to adjust the idle mix. Mind you. if it's premix and hasn't stretched it's legs for a while there's going t obe an excess of oil hanging around in the engine anyway. Mine won't run for more than about 5 mins at idle without starting to cough.

Ref. the choke, if you don't have a separate choke switch and it's a Suzi control box, push the key in while you turn it. You (should) hear the solenoid click in the engine as you push the key.
Old 24 October 2011, 11:52   #23

The tank was empty so fuel is new, think Ihave figured out a few things:-

- I stupidly had no fuel line connetor so pusehd the fule line onto the engine, had no idea it was a 1 way valve! Have now bought the connector so should have full fule flow tonight. It may have just ran out of fuel and sucked enough through to run again. I am slightly confused though as the plugs were wet, not indicative of fuel shortage! Oil is from separate tank so fuel should be OK, hopefully even in the carbs.

- I bought some new plugs BR8HS, the cowling had a sticker for B8HS, will this be OK?

- choke is external switch, found the wires so now makes sense.

I think 5 mins tonight with the fule line connetor will have the engine up and running. hopefully its one of those stupid cheap items!
Old 24 October 2011, 19:26   #24

Hit the boat shop today and got a few bits, engine now running really well!

few pics here for those interested

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=944af...4&sc=documents

cheers for all the advice so far, next stage will be securing tanks etc, then will need to either buy or make a double jockey seat.

Only last items needed before I hit the water are a kill switch cover (which I think I am sorted for) and the bracket that secure the outboard control cables as they enter the outboard, should be a pic of it - 4th from the end.