Old 31 May 2007, 14:24   #1

Town: Co Clare
Length: 4m +
Osprey with twin outboards

Hi All

I know there are a lot of Osprey and ex-Osprey owners out there . Finally sold my Avon Searider 4.0 and am looking for something in and around 5.3 to 5.5m
Saw a Osprey 5.5m with twin Honda 45hp . Do you think that this rig would be under powered with the 45’s ? . The whole set up is around 15 years old , am I looking at trouble regarding the outboard and the tubes at this age ?. I don’t know what sort of life they have had but it wasn’t used commercially . Haven’t seen it yet just looking for opinions before/if I view .

Thanks
Old 31 May 2007, 22:25   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
I have an osprey viper 5.25 with twin 60 mariner 2 strokes, the formula for working out the power of the combined 2 engines is add the two together and take away around 25% from the total so 45x2= 90 - 25%=68. Around 70 hp is enough for the boat but you might find it wanting when loaded up with 3 or 4 divers and kit.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:44   #3

Forgot to mention about the tubes etc, if the boat has been looked after i.e stored under cover and washed down often then the tubes should still be fine but only viewing can tell this, ospreys are very well made craft so a 15 year old boat should still be serviceable at worst, but again only viewing will tell, as for sea keeping look no further .
Old 01 June 2007, 07:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
I have an osprey viper 5.25 with twin 60 mariner 2 strokes, the formula for working out the power of the combined 2 engines is add the two together and take away around 25% from the total so 45x2= 90 - 25%=68. Around 70 hp is enough for the boat but you might find it wanting when loaded up with 3 or 4 divers and kit.
Thanks Tim

Sounds like it could be a bit underpowered at 68hp . Might still go and have a look . Its over the other side of the country so its not going to be this weekend .

Tim
Old 01 June 2007, 08:31   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Well... What you could sell a pair of 60's for would buy you a 115 Yam and give you change

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2007, 16:26   #6

Make: Osprey
Engine: outboard
I have a Viper 525 with twin mariner 40, 2 stroke. which we brought new in the early 90’s

Ok it will never break any speed records, but will easily cruise at 20-25 Knts with a top speed of just under 30.

We use the boat for cruising and diving, but do not notice any discernable difference when loaded. Besides I have found with 4-6 divers on board, a cruising speed of 20-25 is all that is really needed.

Our Viper is nearing 15yrs old although you would never know by looking at it.

Although you saty the rib is 5.5m so although it may not be a viper, the Manufacturers data at the time (Northern Diver / Offshore Components) listed the maximum two engine arrangement for a 525 as twin 50’s – so if it is a viper the 60’s may be an issue.
Old 01 June 2007, 16:33   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post

Although you saty the rib is 5.5m so although it may not be a viper, the Manufacturers data at the time (Northern Diver / Offshore Components) listed the maximum two engine arrangement for a 525 as twin 50’s – so if it is a viper the 60’s may be an issue.
Shouldn't be-the 60 2 strokes from that era are the same basic engine as the 50 and weigh the same.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2007, 21:56   #8

Get um on there thats what i say, the 60's on the back of my boat work a dream with the massive beam on the viper going slightly over the manufactures recommended max for twin installation does no harm at all, there no heavier than the average 50 and still fall short of the max power recommendations after deducting 25%, so whats the problem?
Old 02 June 2007, 09:59   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Hi All

....Saw a Osprey 5.5m with twin Honda 45hp .....
So, when did these Honda 45s become 60hp?
Old 02 June 2007, 21:25   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
On that basis

when did Honda 45 become a 45 hp engine? arent those babies measured at the crank
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2007, 21:35   #11

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
TimMcC, unless you really want a twin setup, I know where there is a Suzuki 115HP EFI (year 2000) with 100 Hours on for less than £2k.

Chris
Old 03 June 2007, 11:28   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
TimMcC, unless you really want a twin setup, I know where there is a Suzuki 115HP EFI (year 2000) with 100 Hours on for less than £2k. Chris
Problem is the transom will be set up for twin installation with central elefants trunk. Could be converted and high transom cut down but alot of work.

Worth taking the boat for a good sea trial to see if its what you want and are happy with the speed, 35 mph? Is the boat blue? Osprey had a 5.25 Viper demonstrator in 1993 with twin 45s. Someone lost a honda 45 engine in the 93 Solent rib race that year. Thoughts at the time were that the engine was sound as a single engine installation, but double it up on a rib and give it a good pounding in a race and the sadles aren't strong enough to take it. However if you don't drive like you stole it and its a good price it could be a nice little rib.

Pete
Old 05 June 2007, 12:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
TimMcC, unless you really want a twin setup, I know where there is a Suzuki 115HP EFI (year 2000) with 100 Hours on for less than £2k.

Chris
Thanks Chris

But If I buy I think I will be the complete package . By the time I get all the seperates together the season would be over .

Regards

Tim
Old 05 June 2007, 12:25   #14

Thanks for all your replies . I have looked some more on the web over the weekend at UK based ribs and have seen a couple of others that appear to be better value ( newer with outboards up and around 75-85 hp ) . I think it would be worth a trip over to have a look . The Osprey while an excellent rib by all accounts didn't look as good as these ones in the UK and with 15 year old outboards I think I will give it a miss . No doubt I will be back with more questions as soon as I have a short list .

Reagrds

Tim
Old 06 June 2007, 15:03   #15

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
When Mike armitage first set up Osprey boats i was one of the test team :-) The Viper 5.25 with twin 45's is fine for 2/3 divers - the ride is excellent -

Some may remember me racing the Offshore 8 mtr with twin 200's tweaked - i cant remember what year i won the round solent in it but i do remember the race quite vividly -Alan Priddy had a great photo of me nearly vertical off of nab tower - then shortly afterwards having to stop to drop my girlfriend off on a safety boat cos i winded her badly.

It was the race where jelly turned his boat over - then contested me winning cos i didnt stop..... they both waved and gave us the thumbs up - so i carried on and let the safety boat sort it out....

Those were the days..... come on Alan lets bring it back..
:-)

Oh and Jon broke the transom last night night on Phanton off the coast of Ireland tying to break the round britain.... doh!!!.. cromptons were never built for anything more than 1 trip.... ooh wash my mouth.. :-)
Old 09 July 2008, 08:39   #16

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
When Mike armitage first set up Osprey boats i was one of the test team :-) The Viper 5.25 with twin 45's is fine for 2/3 divers - the ride is excellent -

Some may remember me racing the Offshore 8 mtr with twin 200's tweaked - i cant remember what year i won the round solent in it but i do remember the race quite vividly -Alan Priddy had a great photo of me nearly vertical off of nab tower - then shortly afterwards having to stop to drop my girlfriend off on a safety boat cos i winded her badly.

It was the race where jelly turned his boat over - then contested me winning cos i didnt stop..... they both waved and gave us the thumbs up - so i carried on and let the safety boat sort it out....

Those were the days..... come on Alan lets bring it back.. :-)
The 93 race was held in the spring out of Hamble Point, only I don't remember a 8.2m Falcon being present. The 91 Round Scotland boat was sold about this time to the late Tommy Cecil from Rathlin and the other 8.2m Falcon belonged to Dave Charrington a M/Benz dealer whose brother got caught bringing in little clear shinney stones from Holland, using the rib.

I do however remember someone turning up with a Viper fitted with twin honda 45s and trying to sell more of them and set himself up as a Southern Sales rep for Opsrey. He was ex AAC (door gunner). Unfortunately a lack of the 5Ps and a belief that 4 strokes don't use much fuel meant he didn't fill the fuel tank up and promptly ran out of fuel twards the end of the race. Boat was blue GRP and tubes from memory. Since you seem to have some knowledge about flying was this you?

Other boats from Opsrey were a stetched and widened 7m sea harrier built by Mike and Ralph. Unfortuately Mike Armatage wasn't aware of the boat and it was subsequently broken up over royalites/names etc. Red in colour and fitted with twin 70 Evinrudes to make the max of the twin engine allowance in class B at the time.

The 94 race was held out of Northney Marina Hayling. Bogi was crewing with Paul Lemmer and by chance has a photo with me in the back ground . I don't remember an 8m Falcon taking part though. The RM turned up with a big rib and 2 x 200hp, BWM red and black from memory.

The 95 race saw Osprey enter the 26ft Lynx sponsored by Gib Sea Fishing, white with red letters and driven by Mike Armatage and Peter Hendreck from the Sea Cadets.

Pete
Old 20 July 2008, 18:50   #17

Town: southampton
Make: osprey
Length: 8m +
I have just restored an Osprey 8.2 Falcon - I put twin 225 EFI's on it - need to change the props but very pleased with performance and handling. I will put some photos on soon. The boat was called 'Blue Falcon' does anyone know any history ?