Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 July 2012, 09:25   #1
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Osprey Vipermax fuel tank breather issue

Hey all

Just came back home to be greeted by a very strong smell of fuel eminating from Gwenn....

On inspection, was amazed to see petrol quite literally being pumped up and out through the fuel tank breather outlet just above the main filling point. I'm not talking drops either, it was a constant flow witht the stream about 4-5mm in diameter .

I suspect that due to the angle that Gwenn is currently sitting at (we live on a hill but not what i would call excessive anyway, see picture) the breather pipe must connect to the main tank somewhere towards the rear of the tank itself. The tank has oviously warmed up considerably during the day due that elusive ball of fire in the sky beating down on the dark coloured deck and created a vapor pressure in the forward part of the tank causing the fuel to be 'pumped' up and out. Quite something to see.

Had to rush to the garden hose and wash her down rather sharpish before opening the main filler plug to relieve the pressure.

Can anyone confirm if the breather pipe does actually connect to the main fuel tank at its rearmost part? The tank was about 60% full at the time.

I'm scared to look to see what the guage is now reading...


The third picture is nothing to do with the petrol leaking but makes me chuckle...I took it yesterday going through the lock at the hydro-electric dam in St Malo (Barrage de la Rance)...... i call it a WAFI jam

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	70518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	70519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	70520  
__________________

__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 11:16   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Hey all

Just came back home to be greeted by a very strong smell of fuel eminating from Gwenn....

On inspection, was amazed to see petrol quite literally being pumped up and out through the fuel tank breather outlet just above the main filling point. I'm not talking drops either, it was a constant flow witht the stream about 4-5mm in diameter .

I suspect that due to the angle that Gwenn is currently sitting at (we live on a hill but not what i would call excessive anyway, see picture) the breather pipe must connect to the main tank somewhere towards the rear of the tank itself. The tank has oviously warmed up considerably during the day due that elusive ball of fire in the sky beating down on the dark coloured deck and created a vapor pressure in the forward part of the tank causing the fuel to be 'pumped' up and out. Quite something to see.

Had to rush to the garden hose and wash her down rather sharpish before opening the main filler plug to relieve the pressure.

Can anyone confirm if the breather pipe does actually connect to the main fuel tank at its rearmost part? The tank was about 60% full at the time.

I'm scared to look to see what the guage is now reading...


The third picture is nothing to do with the petrol leaking but makes me chuckle...I took it yesterday going through the lock at the hydro-electric dam in St Malo (Barrage de la Rance)...... i call it a WAFI jam

Simon
I never had that happen, but did have a little petrol come out if you filled the tank to the absolute brim including the filler pipe.

Never had sun like this either

Jim
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 11:48   #3
Member
 
Silverfox's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 543
I have a viper max too, and never had that happen. But I do know that the breather pipe has a kink in it, and when filling it can serge back, rather like drinking a yard of ale . But never when left alone.
__________________
Will.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 12:13   #4
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Hi Jim/Will

Do you guys know where the breather pipe connects to the fuel tank though?

Its the only possible explanation i have for it happening.....one of those "rub your eyes in disbelief" moments.

It was actually my wallet that allerted me the problem. it started having spasms in my back pocket long before i got near 'sniffing' distance of the boat...

Simon
__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 12:18   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
For now, it's probably worth just leaving the fuel filler slightly unscrewed while on the driveway.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 12:24   #6
Member
 
Silverfox's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Hi Jim/Will

Do you guys know where the breather pipe connects to the fuel tank though?

Its the only possible explanation i have for it happening.....one of those "rub your eyes in disbelief" moments.

It was actually my wallet that allerted me the problem. it started having spasms in my back pocket long before i got near 'sniffing' distance of the boat...

Simon
I thought I had a photo, but I don't, and sorry I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll keep looking though.
__________________
Will.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 12:28   #7
Member
 
Silverfox's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Hi Jim/Will

Do you guys know where the breather pipe connects to the fuel tank though?

Its the only possible explanation i have for it happening.....one of those "rub your eyes in disbelief" moments.

It was actually my wallet that allerted me the problem. it started having spasms in my back pocket long before i got near 'sniffing' distance of the boat...

Simon
Isn't it something like this? New Boatbuilders Home Page - Fuel Tank Setup Diagram
__________________
Will.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 13:05   #8
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
For now, it's probably worth just leaving the fuel filler slightly unscrewed while on the driveway.
Hi Nos4r2

Thats exactly what I've done for now... Pretty surreal as i originally shut the filler cap after 20minutes or so and sure enough within a few minutes it started pissing out again.....

Thanks Silverfox, thats a handy diagram. I recon it must be similar (but without the carbon filter).

To lift the petrol up to the height of the breather outlet requires energy.... The only way i can see possible to gain that energy is by heating the tank up ( through the sun) but it would mean the breather pipe entrance at the tank would need to be submerged.....
If the tank was full i could understand but as i mentioned we had used Gwenn most of the day yesterday and had but filled her up afterwards.

Bit of a strange (and worrying ) one.

Cheers for the help though guys

Simon
__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 13:43   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
As far as I know the fuel fill and breather points are mounted on a slightly raised section about 1/3 from the front. Unless your breather pipe projects below the top of the tank and dips into the fuel I struggle to see how your problem has happened, especially if it was only 60% full. I have a picture somewhere which I will post later.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 14:40   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
, but did have a little petrol come out....
Jim
Enough to create a rainbow slick stretching from Lands End to the Scillies.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.