Old 09 August 2005, 13:46   #1

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Osprey Viper max

Always had boats, but new to ribs. I'm interested in a 2000 Osprey vipermax with a 2001 Mariner 150 optimax for decent offshore cruising (Scillies etc). Could anyone tell me anything about these boats and how juicy the 150 optimax is? Regards Mollulnan
Old 09 August 2005, 14:45   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Always had boats, but new to ribs. I'm interested in a 2000 Osprey vipermax with a 2001 Mariner 150 optimax for decent offshore cruising (Scillies etc). Could anyone tell me anything about these boats and how juicy the 150 optimax is? Regards Mollulnan
Hi, great rib & great engine!
Have a read of this, I think it may well be the very same Rib, or they are just using a photo of this one!
http://www.ribmagazine.com/boat%20te...eyviper650.htm
Nick
Old 09 August 2005, 18:07   #3

Town: Llandygai, Bangor
Boat name: AhandAh (R&R)
Make: Maxum
Length: 7m +
Engine: INBOARD DIESEL
Send a message via AIM to Ribster Rache
Welcome aboard Mollulnan! Very good choice if this is your first rib. You've gone for the top shelf from the off. Could we just ask is it 6.5 metres that you are interested in? We have the 5.8 metre with a 2005 150 mercury optimax.

The osprey vipermax has a pedigree of racing and subsequently it's hull design is well suited for decent coastal cruising. They have a very deep v shaped hull which slices through nearly any type of sea with ease and comfort.

We've had a few ribs in the past but none of those compare to the sea ride ability of the osprey - you wont be disappointed.

Mercurys, Mariners - what's the difference (just the cowling). They are very good engines. You will hear plenty of people give them the thumbs up The only concern i would have with a 2001 model is that it would be one of the earlier optimax's and they did have some teething problems. I hope the engine comes with good service history as there is a lot that could go wrong in these high tech babies.

Good luck
Old 09 August 2005, 18:18   #4

Town: St Austell
Make: Ribcraft 5.85m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 60HP Bigfoots
Send a message via MSN to boatbuoy
Hey, another Cornish Chap

If it was me and I was going through those stretches of water... Twin engines are the way forward, unless you are going with another boat. (Ducking and now running for cover).