Old 07 October 2009, 09:35   #21

Town: westlancs/anglesey
Boat name: Humper 2
Make: osprey vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: evinrude e-tec 250hp
osprey lynx 24

Yes it is a tad on the long side is`nt it? No idea why!! Just the need to be heard I suppose
Old 16 January 2010, 22:37   #22

Town: north west
Length: no boat
lots of time driving them

what would you like to know about them from build specs to diff manufacturers we used and where they originally came from
Old 16 January 2010, 22:49   #23

the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
as a point of interest what is the difference between a vector / osprey xr24 and a lynx hull ,i can see from the photos that the bow lockers / hardnose are different but is the hull shape any different ?
sorry for the late reply but only just seen posts
the lynx bears no resemblance to a quote!!!! vector/osprey xr 24 the xrs where designed incorrectly by an designer in falmouth as they where surpossed to be dive boats also construction methods boat was to short based on hull design the big vectors where based on them which worked
Old 16 January 2010, 23:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoMicky View Post
Anyone else had the pleasure of helming one of these boats? Would be really interested to hear your comments? As far as I am aware there is only one Lynx 24 in the UK ( http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F217115 ) and I had the pleasure of helming it a few weeks ago..... Absolutely Awesome ... Being a true fan of Osprey RIBS in general and the owner of a Vipermax 7.5 I was not disapointed. A True offshore racer and far more responsive than the Vipermax. Cant quite understand the pricing of the above quoted RIB Seems remarkably cheap given that Brugge Marine are selling a 2002 Lynx 26 for 65,000 Euro .... and no I am not the seller of this RIB or commercially invollved with it in any way (Pure coincidence that I happened to helm it at some sort of Osprey Convention a few weeks ago at Anglesey) but would be interested to hear from anyone who has driven a Lynx 24, 26 or 28 and there comments and views on the difference between the different sizes of Lynx and comparison with the Vipermax.
Have attached a few pics from the gathering a few weeks ago ... and for thos of you that recognise Mike at the Helm .... He is not an associate or involved with this RIB either .... Just Jumped at the oppurtunity to have a play on it, same as myself :-)
have driven them loads even the original proto type!! a red 28 with 3 man console,raced em, spec em out

what would you like to know about them build specs original design who made em. where they were made. ex tvr car factory!!! why they even where built !! tank experiments.the shape and specs may speak for this more than words

the viper max this is an excellent boat derived from a boat just as good a viper again played and ran original proto type of the vipers many moons ago also tested these boats to death in all conditions

they are different animals with a diff design spec and originally diff hull laminate and deck specs lynxs were more exotic laminates
Old 17 January 2010, 09:11   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The wolf View Post
vector/osprey xr 24 the xrs where designed incorrectly by an designer in falmouth......

Penryn actually.
Old 17 January 2010, 22:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Penryn actually.
OK give ya that though the boys where not , salcombe and falmouth i think ?? and yes your viper could well be an anabolic fletcher lol to be honest they were designed slightly diff to speed boats not a carbon copy> wheres pete these days still in foreign lands ?never heard from him in years since a little run in over a little boat we did in some sheds in devon ??, and the lynx did come from a purpose built plug, mike had kittens over what was spent on that project after disaster of xr's, though technically it may not have been his money !!!! lol
Old 18 January 2010, 07:55   #27

Town: Coventry
Boat name: Eco XR24
Make: Eco-Marine
XR24 back in production

Just seen this thread and the mention of the XR24. This awesome design is going back into production as the Eco XR24 - see www.eco-marine.co.uk We'll be pleased to hear from any Ribnet members who may be interested! We're also producing seats and just about to make the pattern for a new console. Please have a look at the pictures on the website.
Old 18 January 2010, 23:31   #28

Make: Osprey
Engine: 2 x 200
"have driven them loads even the original proto type!! a red 28 with 3 man console,raced em, spec em out

what would you like to know about them build specs original design who made em. where they were made. ex tvr car factory!!! why they even where built !! tank experiments.the shape and specs may speak for this more than words"

all of the above

hi wolf, i'd love to hear more about the history of the lynx..designed by john moxham (?) and in the early 90s mike a. took a 28 with twin xr2's (?) to records week (was this the prototype)..there was also some racing success but how/why did it come about in the first place, build specs, when was it first produced, who were the early builders, what did they weigh using exotic laminates, what set up gave the best performance..i'd like to hear more about the racing too, events/results etc..any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks gerry
Old 20 January 2010, 23:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
"have driven them loads even the original proto type!! a red 28 with 3 man console,raced em, spec em out

what would you like to know about them build specs original design who made em. where they were made. ex tvr car factory!!! why they even where built !! tank experiments.the shape and specs may speak for this more than words"

all of the above

hi wolf, i'd love to hear more about the history of the lynx..designed by john moxham (?) and in the early 90s mike a. took a 28 with twin xr2's (?) to records week (was this the prototype)..there was also some racing success but how/why did it come about in the first place, build specs, when was it first produced, who were the early builders, what did they weigh using exotic laminates, what set up gave the best performance..i'd like to hear more about the racing too, events/results etc..any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks gerry
hello blufin no the boat taken to records week with twin xr2's was just a customers boat std motors carnt remember serial number as a long time ago! though i do remember the customer very well! boat was not built special for records week as it was entered as std production class boat i carnt remember speed but seem to think i took it to mid 80s that week though this boat had a checkered life due to an accident i know nearly killed me build specs i prob still have original laminates but to be honest specs so much better now than back then it was a balsa boat though, design yes i worked with john nice chap from down south, the best success was a white 24 i produced with a 150 mariner blue printed motor on transom,special transom, merc special gearbox,prop,special lightweight flywheel,bow tank, fully balanced motor which i had prepped by a friend who worked on the world series hydro boats, this beat most of the 200 single engine class that year until mike had fit over been called a cheat and pulled out ??lol ? the original details of what happened i would not place on here!! though don't mind personal e mails
they came from cad drawings with laser cut bulkheads and purpose built wooden plugs which i checked over during build, i added extra spray rail late on in build, a chap called D salsby had some input also,builders of plugs worked in southampton nice guys retired now i would think though company still exists, after first boats made there moulds moved north due to transport costs, they where designed to run with the big omc motors of the day, motors worked by a company in edinburgh, fun days enjoyed my time but keep clear of boats now to much trouble ??rofl?
Old 21 January 2010, 06:56   #30

I remember most of the Vectors that came out of the Penryn factory were fitted with Evinrides. 150's or 175's I think.
Old 21 January 2010, 10:33   #31

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Engine: 1 200hp merc
who has the moulds/build rights for the 26 and 28 these days? they are both gogeous boats
Old 21 January 2010, 16:26   #32

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
I remember most of the Vectors that came out of the Penryn factory were fitted with Evinrides. 150's or 175's I think.
Would they have been the ex-military stored 150 Roods from the mid-90s?
Old 21 January 2010, 16:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Would they have been the ex-military stored 150 Roods from the mid-90s?
Memory is a bit vague. I think they were Ocean Pros. They also used XR2's or the Merc 2ltr race lumps that preceeded the XR2 as a mate of mine (the lifeboat bloke that Miss Moon fancies ) cadged a load of race bits off of them.
Old 21 January 2010, 16:42   #34

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Memory is a bit vague. I think they were Ocean Pros. They also used XR2's or the Merc 2ltr race lumps that preceeded the XR2 as a mate of mine (the lifeboat bloke that Miss Moon fancies ) cadged a load of race bits off of them.
A racing Atlantic 21 - I like it
Old 28 January 2010, 20:32   #35

Quote:
hi mollers yep vectors did but lynxs did not they ran omc 3 ltr motors mercs n mariners
Old 28 January 2010, 20:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
who has the moulds/build rights for the 26 and 28 these days? they are both gogeous boats
a friend in belgium i believe though design rights in boat hulls always seems to be a vague thing !!!
Old 11 February 2011, 21:43   #37

Town: West Lancs/Anglesey
Boat name: Northern Rock
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 250HP ETEC
Old 12 February 2011, 10:00   #38
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoMicky View Post
I guess that was an accident, but a very interesting thread and discussion to dredge up nonetheless. You might be interested in the recently launched Osprey and Vector RIB owners association which you can find at www.osprey-owners.co.uk. We would be very much obliged if you would add yourself and you (ex?) Lynx into the database which can ber found directly here.