Old 31 March 2009, 13:39   #1

Make: OSPREY
Length: 5m +
Osprey fuel consumption

Just thought I would mention to all those interested boaters the setup I have on my 7.0m Vipermax and the relevent fuel consumption: The boat is a 7.0m with a 250 high output E-tec and I am running a 22 pitch Viper on a transom height of 27".

On a very nice trip from Barmouth to Portmadoc on Sunday last the conditions were fairly smooth and I noticed that most of the way the boat was travelling at 33 mph at 3,300 rpm using 33 litres per hour. This proved to be the most economical ratio of fuel used for the distance travelled which surprised me a little because I expected the boat to be a little more economical at about 28 mph when the boat was actually using 29 litres per hour. I think the figures are really good and if anything better than my old 7.0m with a 225 4 stroke engine.

If anybody else has got any comparisons to make reference propellers, engines etc., I think it would be interesting and may save us some money in fuel.

As a footnote the engine's using 94 litres per hour at 5,500 rpm and the boat is doing 57 mph - it's expensive but it's one hell of an hour!

Roy
Old 31 March 2009, 17:08   #2

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Have an Evinrude 250 DI, the last model befor the E-tec came out.
On a Scorpion 7.5 with closed deck and cockpit, so a bit heavier.
Made a diagram on fuel, speed and RPM's.
The blue line is the speed km/hr.
The pink line is the fuel consumption liters/hr.
The orange line is the distance one can reach with 50 liters of fuel.
For exemple:
with 3000 R/min I use 26 liters/hr and with a speed of 36,5 km/hr cover a distance of 70,2 km on 50 liters of fuel. And that will take me about 2 hours.
The most economical way to travel is between 3000 and 4000 RPM.
At 1000 RPM it's even cheaper but there's no fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prestaties en verbruik  corr.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	41539  
Old 31 March 2009, 17:54   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I have a 250 Etec, I have no idea how much fuel it burns at any revs. This is due to the fact that my Icommand instruments speak a different language to my sender and apparently I need some sort of stick to shove up the back of the Icommands inorder to get them to do anything.
Old 31 March 2009, 18:37   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I can't offer anything about optimum cruising speeds yet, as I've only just got the Lowrance engine gauge to talk to the GPS.

However, based upon last seasons total fuel consumption and log, I averaged 1.17 litres per nautical mile. Best fillup was 1.07 l/nm and worst 1.29. Most of my journeys are at 35kts for passages between 15 nm and 35nm.

Osprey Vipermax 6.5. Weight approx 1200kgs, Suzuki DF200.
Old 31 March 2009, 21:21   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I have a 250 Etec, I have no idea how much fuel it burns at any revs. This is due to the fact that my Icommand instruments speak a different language to my sender and apparently I need some sort of stick to shove up the back of the Icommands inorder to get them to do anything.

Why bother Mollers just get to where yo want to go and do what ya need to do
Old 01 April 2009, 07:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Why bother Mollers just get to where yo want to go and do what ya need to do
I would I assure you, forward planing is not my forte'. But, buying fuel on those silly Scillies is a nightmare, so when leaving from Falmouth, a degree of measurement is required.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:22   #7

Town: westlancs/anglesey
Boat name: Humper 2
Make: osprey vipermax
Engine: evinrude e-tec 250hp
osprey fuel consumption

Quote:
I would I assure you, forward planing is not my forte'. But, buying fuel on those silly Scillies is a nightmare, so when leaving from Falmouth, a degree of measurement is required.
Ive got 250 etec on 7.5 Vipermax and I`m with Mollers on this one I have`nt got a chuffin clue how much I`m using because I can`t get the Icommand to tell me anything. I only know what ive used when I fill up again and sometimes it`s a nice suprise and sometimes it`s very definitely NOT!!Think i`m going back to sender unit and gauge on the vipermax and on the latest project. You can keep the clever electronics.
Old 01 April 2009, 16:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humper View Post
Ive got 250 etec on 7.5 Vipermax and I`m with Mollers on this one I have`nt got a chuffin clue how much I`m using because I can`t get the Icommand to tell me anything. I only know what ive used when I fill up again and sometimes it`s a nice suprise and sometimes it`s very definitely NOT!!Think i`m going back to sender unit and gauge on the vipermax and on the latest project. You can keep the clever electronics.
I've spoken to Roy Bishop, Pete, we have the wrong senders. If you give him a call, he replace it. Apparently we also memory sticks which 'Chris' will tell you about.
Old 01 April 2009, 17:47   #9

osprey fuel consumption

Quote:
I've spoken to Roy Bishop, Pete, we have the wrong senders. If you give him a call, he replace it. Apparently we also memory sticks which 'Chris' will tell you about.
Hi Chris, thanks for that, i`ll speak to Roy. I could really do with getting that sorted out. Have you been out yet this year? I mean have you launched yet?
Regards
Pete
Old 01 April 2009, 19:15   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Humper,

To get the fuel data that your engine can supply you need a Memory Module

P/N - 0764181

Its really easy to fit you need to find where all your Network T pieces are(probably in the console) find the connectors then just Tee in this module takes about 5 mins and just screws in.

You can then get trip fuel usage info that can be reset from the guages. As for the tank fuel level then you will need the new fuel sender as Mollers said.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Also I sent you a PM a few months ago about your screen and Stainless surround. Have you got any more PICs as It looks like it offers good protection from the elements.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2009, 20:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by humper View Post
Hi Chris, thanks for that, i`ll speak to Roy. I could really do with getting that sorted out. Have you been out yet this year? I mean have you launched yet?
Regards
Pete
Sorry about the previous 'Borat' style thread. I was being rushed to leave the house.
No, not been out yet this season, but getting close to the pre-season 'once over'. The weather has been glorious down this way recently. There are a few jobs that need addressing. New VHF aerial, sort fuel management , replace peeling 'Osprey' decals ( Thanks again Roy), re-comission trailer (service brakes and re-fit wheels)and fit new compass.
Old 01 April 2009, 23:40   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
and lob a 1/4 ton of fuel in it
Old 02 April 2009, 07:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
and lob a 1/4 ton of fuel in it
Cheers for that. I might have to flog the Head Magnums to cover the fuel. Didn't fancy being in the 'Head Club' anyway, I wouldn't be able to cope with the 100kmh+ speeds.
Old 02 April 2009, 09:55   #14

osprey fuel consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Humper,

To get the fuel data that your engine can supply you need a Memory Module

P/N - 0764181

Its really easy to fit you need to find where all your Network T pieces are(probably in the console) find the connectors then just Tee in this module takes about 5 mins and just screws in.

You can then get trip fuel usage info that can be reset from the guages. As for the tank fuel level then you will need the new fuel sender as Mollers said.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Also I sent you a PM a few months ago about your screen and Stainless surround. Have you got any more PICs as It looks like it offers good protection from the elements.

Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for the information re the fuel usage. I thought I had replied to you at the time regarding the screen, i`ll check my sent messages and resend, if I did`nt, please accept my apologies. The screen I had on that particular boat was ok in terms of protection and it was easy to make but I was never really happy with the way it looked. The grab-rail was very simple to fabricate and the screen was 3mm flat polycarb that was pliable enough to curve to the shape of the discovery console and held in place by the fixing bolts around the console and on the lugs of the grabrail. If you can send me a full size patten in card of what you want I can get you a screen cut as I have a plastics production company.
Old 02 April 2009, 14:05   #15

Make: OSPREY
Thanks for your comments - it's interesting to hear what other people are getting although in the end I tend to agree with Bigmuz 7, let's just get out there and enjoy ourselves!!

The boat test on the Vipermax 7.0m is now available in the May issue of Sports Boat & Rib - I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief when I read it - I think our boats are really good and obviously I was hoping for a good review but I had no way of knowing what they really thought! It's a good honest unbiased test and well worth a read.
Old 02 April 2009, 14:32   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Cheers for that. I might have to flog the Head Magnums to cover the fuel. Didn't fancy being in the 'Head Club' anyway, I wouldn't be able to cope with the 100kmh+ speeds.
Did you make 90
Old 02 April 2009, 16:49   #17

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Did you make 90
I think he's just afraid it would mess with his barnet