Old 14 August 2013, 15:06   #61

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Bear in mind this also has the custom built livewell, not sure other companies would even do that for you!
Bet Ribcraft would if you asked them!! actually i know they would
Old 14 August 2013, 15:07   #62

Quote:
Had a great day out on this boat the other day, the owner was very kind to let me drive the whole time!

It is a little strange being so far forward, a feeling of being closer to the water because obviously the beam is much narrower where it is tapering up to the bow so the edge is closer. There is a lot more space on board than I expected, without the livewell you could easily have another row of seats, or a bench seat.

The engine is propped too coarsely at the moment, it is running a 19p Laser II but is only making 5200 trimmed REALLY far out. The throttle response is great though, quick acceleration and good trim characteristics. This can only improve with the correct prop. At 10knots the engine really sounds like it is bogging but when you get up to speed it is sweet as a nut. 50 knots was just about achieved with me and two fat blokes on board, so more must be possible with a better prop and less weight.

In the Bassin d'Arcachon where we were, there was a huge variety of conditions, inside, it was nearly flat calm but out in the sea it was lumpy so I had the chance to test out the rough weather characteristics of the boat. It really is nearly identical to ours, despite the metre difference. My only compaint is the steering wheel is much too low and made my upper arms ache really quickly, something I have never experienced before. The steering is very very heavy also, which I think is down to the wrong oil being used in it, I can't remember the spec but it was not proper ultraflex hydraulic oil. Some grade of ATF stuff.

The taller windscreen really wraps around and I stayed dry throughout, that's an advantage of being so far forward I suppose.

This boat was built on a serious budget and also in a tough time frame and it is very fortunate that it all worked out in the end. There are a few little bits and pieces which need to be given finishing touches over the winter but the target was for him to have a working boat to fish off over the summer and that is what he has got

I really don't think you could put together a boat of this quality, capability and performance for the same or less money wise. I have personally invested many, many tens of hours into this boat and anyone interested in putting together an Osprey is welcome to contact me about them and I can try to provide any help or advice.

Can you reach the throttle when wide open??
Old 14 August 2013, 15:19   #63

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post

Or the kill cord

Seriously though, fantastic looking rib. Enjoy!

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 14 August 2013, 15:32   #64

it does look good but there are a few design flaws. your arm is outstretched even in neutral.
What do the passengers hold on too?
The Steering is too low, the angle of the GRP by the GPS needs 15 degrees more angle on it. Surely basic stuff like that would really make it more comfortable!
Old 14 August 2013, 15:41   #65
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Bet Ribcraft would if you asked them!! actually i know they would
It's not hard to do a little one like this, but I don't think they have the time to discuss how to do it for hours with the customer. From reading the threads on here they don't seem to have much time for customers at all..
Quote:
Yep, that is actually fine, I held it in my usual manner (at the bottom) and it was fine to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Or the kill cord
Killcord positioning is OK, he did seem a little surprised when we turned up in lifejackets and then I proceeded to put the kill cord on..
Quote:
What do the passengers hold on too?
One hand on the back of the seat in front, one hand on the strategically placed tube handle. Had two fat blokes with no complaints so it is pretty good apparently.
Quote:
The Steering is too low, the angle of the grp by the GPS needs 15 degress more angle on it
Unfortunately yes, my arms began to ache almost immediately as I have said above. Not helped by heavy steering. That is one of the adjustments for winter, moving it up 2 or three inches.
Old 14 August 2013, 15:45   #66

Quote:
It's not hard to do a little one like this, but I don't think they have the time to discuss how to do it for hours with the customer. From reading the threads on here they don't seem to have much time for customers at all..
Yes i can it get like that when crazily busy... i went in there last week and there were just over 50 boats on the board to be made.. What recession
Old 14 August 2013, 15:48   #67

Gotchi..
There is no way your back is supported when even in neutral let alone in forward gear, your arm is clearly outstretched. it looks a very badly designed driving position for you!
Old 14 August 2013, 15:48   #68
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:

Yes i can it get like that when crazily busy... i went in there last week and there were just over 50 boats on the board to be made.. What recession
They must be doing very well. I wonder what the percentage of their boats are the "professional" line nowadays? I imagine they steer their customers towards the sport line since it must be more economical and profitable to simply churn out the same product repeatedly rather than tailor every boat to the individual customer's needs?
Old 14 August 2013, 15:50   #69
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
There is no way your back is supported when even in neutral let alone in forward gear, your arm is clearly outstretched
In calm conditions it is of course possible to set the speed then relax back into the seat. However during normal running of any boat I usually hunch forward a little bit, so I wouldn't say I missed having my back supported. Perhaps this isn't the best technique but it seems to work for me.

Has the added benefit of bringing your face behind the screen so you don't get wet

The owner (chap in black vest) agrees with you though, and he did mention the idea of fitting some sort of bracket to bring the throttle closer
Old 14 August 2013, 15:52   #70

looking at some of the orders,they were mostly commercial and all in very different guises.As ya know they make everything bar stainless in house so i guess they can design things in anyway poss

hmmm i gotta keep doing the lottery!!

Quote:
Has the added benefit of bringing your face behind the screen so you don't get wet
The screen looks a bit basic really. its the first thing you grab walking around the consol and looking at the quality of that is gonna be ripped right off. are you gonna put some protection for it like a Stainless grab bar as that bit of bent perspex is a bit lacking me thinks!I could knock that up in me garage!! it would finish it off nicely!

The Isolator switch is right in front of your knee which would be bloody painful in if it got roughand looks pretty ugly. could you not tuck it away in the consol behind a hatch?
Old 14 August 2013, 17:05   #71
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
The screen looks a bit basic really. its the first thing you grab walking around the consol and looking at the quality of that is gonna be ripped right off. are you gonna put some protection for it like a Stainless grab bar as that bit of bent perspex is a bit lacking me thinks!I could knock that up in me garage!! it would finish it off nicely!
Yes I agree. Like I said this was put together on a serious budget and tight time scale and with a view to adding the finishing touches this winter. He previously had the same console with a little SS grabrail and he is looking to fit the same thing again.
Quote:
The Isolator switch is right in front of your knee which would be bloody painful in if it got roughand looks pretty ugly. could you not tuck it away in the consol behind a hatch?
I think it looks OK, but he has a big floating keyring on it which was very annoying as it whips into your knee. But he wanted it there so that's where it is! We have little ones with hatch doors which are much neater IMO.
Old 14 August 2013, 17:22   #72

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Thought the wheel looked low too but looking at my old viper it looks right and worked for me!
And my screen lasted 10 years with out a problem and was going stronge when I sold her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	84194  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2013, 17:56   #73

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Nice screen!

Them consoles work better with the steering fitted higher,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1173701245.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	84195   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2218830786.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	84196  
Old 14 August 2013, 18:06   #74
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
I have personally invested many, many tens of hours into this boat.
You should have checked out the Searider thread for ideas on console fit out. There's half a dozen boats on there with Osprey consoles, all with the helm fitted higher,

Check out Bushriders console. That's nicely fitted out.
Old 14 August 2013, 18:07   #75
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Bear in mind this also has the custom built livewell, not sure other companies would even do that for you!
Wash yer mouth out in that baitwell!

Stupid Boy!
Old 14 August 2013, 18:10   #76
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
Them consoles work better with the steering fitted higher,
They also work better if you don't go backwards on going into forward gear.
Old 14 August 2013, 19:41   #77

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post

They also work better if you don't go backwards on going into forward gear.
Kept you smiling all day tho,,,

It's all normal again very boring, in fact
Old 14 August 2013, 20:52   #78

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
There's a thread on here showing the same console in my SR4.7. Works well with the correctly positioned throttle, steering & grabrail.
I agree with Matt h 's comments on the fitout of this rib.
Surprised you're getting 50kts at 5200 with a 19" pitch prop. I get 46kts at 5200 with a 21" pitch prop on the same motor. What's the LU ratio on that one?

Old 14 August 2013, 21:35   #79
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
There's a thread on here showing the same console in my SR4.7. Works well with the correctly positioned throttle, steering & grabrail.
I agree with Matt h 's comments on the fitout of this rib.
Surprised you're getting 50kts at 5200 with a 19" pitch prop. I get 46kts at 5200 with a 21" pitch prop on the same motor. What's the LU ratio on that one?
In response to the steering position criticism, the aim was to have the same position as Bogmonster's console which he designed to be usable both seated and standing. Unfortunately in the end it was fitted a couple of inches lower than I had asked but it is not a major issue. Though I have not tried the steering up on the front face, I remember BM discussing the pros & cons and coming to the conclusion that the lower position was better. As a sheep I simply followed. I did know many put it on the top face and put my hands where I thought it would rest and somewhat grudgingly I do agree that it may have been more suitable. However, the owner is happy and that is all that matters

I am not sure what the gear ratio is but I glanced down to see the smartcraft needle just brushing 50, and that comes off the GPS. It would make 50 comfortably one up IMO. What is the recommended rev range for this engine?
Old 14 August 2013, 22:42   #80
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I am not sure what the gear ratio is but I glanced down to see the smartcraft needle just brushing 50, and that comes off the GPS. It would make 50 comfortably one up IMO. What is the recommended rev range for this engine?
Are you sure the gauge is set up in knots?