Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 21 February 2007, 16:38   #1

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Optimax oil, where and how much?

I'm looking for a regular supplier of opti oil for my Merc 150 opti.

Where do others go and how much do you pay for a bottle?

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2007, 16:43   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Use Rock Oil instead - it's a lot cheaper and looks identical to the mercury oil. it meets all the proper specs as well.

http://www.rockoil.co.uk/

It is semi synthetic - called MP3 sport for some strange reason!!!
Old 22 February 2007, 07:04   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Codders
Have you used it ? I am keen to try some and have asked our local rep to get me a price , Paul do u want to share some ? I see you are in Bracnell not so far from me .
Old 22 February 2007, 07:36   #4

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Use Rock Oil instead - it's a lot cheaper and looks identical to the mercury oil.
Oh, thats okay then.

Optimax outboards don't use much oil. Why risk knackering your outboard because you put in the non-recommended oil? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 22 February 2007, 07:46   #5

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
I guess it would also void any warranty claim if the engine is still under warranty.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
Oh, thats okay then.

Optimax outboards don't use much oil. Why risk knackering your outboard because you put in the non-recommended oil? Doesn't make sense to me.
Who says it's not a recommended oil? Mercury don't!!! They say you can use a TCW3 oil. They recommend 2 of their own oils - the premium plus and the optimax. The Rock oil falls somewhere between the 2.

"Yes. OptiMax oil can be mixed with the Mercury Premium Plus oil that you have been running in your OptiMax." Quote from Mercury!!!

I suppose if you have a Toyota you only but their oil? Or a BMW you only buy BMW oil?

Merucry etc make a fortune out of people who think they can only buy the own brand oil. Remember Mercury do NOT refine their own oils!!!
Old 22 February 2007, 11:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
I guess it would also void any warranty claim if the engine is still under warranty.

Nope as long as the oil is to the correct spec which it is!!!

Oh I give up - carry on buying expensive oils whilst I buy Rock Oil at 1/4 the price.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Codders
Have you used it ? I am keen to try some and have asked our local rep to get me a price , Paul do u want to share some ? I see you are in Bracnell not so far from me .
Yup use it all the time. Great company to deal with as well. I bought a few 25 litre drums and a box of 1 litre bottles which I keep and refill.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:48   #9

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Quote:

Oh I give up - carry on buying expensive oils whilst I buy Rock Oil at 1/4 the price.
I was using a comparable grade oil on my Opti last year when I ran out and could not get the Mercury branded product on my round britain. On my return my engine suffered a major internal failure caused by who knows what but was still under warranty. The workshop told me that there was a differant type of oil visible in the reserve tank and as it was differant colour and I explained the reason, they chose to ignore this and put it through under warranty but did say that Merc would not have validated if they had mentioned it to them. I ama good customer and I think they took a 'view' on things. So whether or not its the same product you could still be in trouble at which point a minor saving on oil would seem a bad deal.

Also you mention BMW oil, same goes. BMW state that warranty claims could be rejected on the V10 M series engine unless one specific brand is used.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:58   #10

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Quote:

As much as I appreciate the advice Codders, I think I'll stick to the real stuff.
I've been caught out before using non-approved oil in a car and got a huge bill for repairs.

I'm paying about £30 a bottle at the moment. Anyone know where I can buy it cheaper?

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2007, 12:13   #11

Quote:
I was using a comparable grade oil on my Opti last year when I ran out and could not get the Mercury branded product on my round britain. On my return my engine suffered a major internal failure caused by who knows what but was still under warranty. The workshop told me that there was a differant type of oil visible in the reserve tank and as it was differant colour and I explained the reason, they chose to ignore this and put it through under warranty but did say that Merc would not have validated if they had mentioned it to them. I ama good customer and I think they took a 'view' on things. So whether or not its the same product you could still be in trouble at which point a minor saving on oil would seem a bad deal.

Also you mention BMW oil, same goes. BMW state that warranty claims could be rejected on the V10 M series engine unless one specific brand is used.
The Rock Oil is IDENTICAL to the Quicksilver which I had a few bottles of when I picked up the boat.

Merc WOULD have had to honour the guarantee - maybe not in the USA but we have such a thing as EU law!!!
Old 22 February 2007, 12:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Chitty View Post
As much as I appreciate the advice Codders, I think I'll stick to the real stuff.
I've been caught out before using non-approved oil in a car and got a huge bill for repairs.

I'm paying about £30 a bottle at the moment. Anyone know where I can buy it cheaper?
What did you use? Cooking oil? As long as you use the approved SPECIFICATION they can't touch you.

Anyway I will stop banging my head against the wall and just choose to sit back and ponder why people believe everything they are told.
Old 22 February 2007, 12:32   #13

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:

Well said.
Old 22 February 2007, 12:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
Well said.
Even though it's wrong?(the warrenty part).
Old 22 February 2007, 15:36   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
£22.92 for 4 litres

Aladdins Cave Chandlery in Hamble do the Quicksilver DFI oil for £22.92 for 4 litres.

Codders - interesting that you say the Rockoil is "IDENTICAL" to the Quicksilver oil. Are we talking DFI oil or their "Premium" oil. The "Premium" is TCW3.

The Quicksilver DFI oil container that i've just looked at in the chandlery next door does not have any standards marked on it? I wonder what it is?
Old 28 February 2007, 13:13   #16

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
If you want to buy cheap Opti (DFi) oil in Poole, give Neil at Marinautic a call on 01202 678085.

I've just bought some from him for £19.72 + vat for 4 litres.... you may get a better price on boxes of 6!
Old 28 February 2007, 21:17   #17

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
oil

205 litre drums are a good way of getting lots but no good if you only need a 30/50 litres a season. I paid £500 or so for a drum last year and the year before £434 plus the dredded vat.
Old 01 March 2007, 06:49   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
205 litre drums are a good way of getting lots but no good if you only need a 30/50 litres a season. I paid £500 or so for a drum last year and the year before £434 plus the dredded vat.
Where did you get it from ?

James