Old 22 December 2004, 14:57   #11

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Count me in i would definately use it some people ,not present company on rib net. wouldnt now a good thing if it was handed to them on a plate . by using this facility you are loosing nothing and gaining the oppertunity of getting rid of allthose items you have kept for arainy day

Old 22 December 2004, 15:01   #12

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I heve just read some previous threads you are not spaming on .

Old 22 December 2004, 20:16   #13

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
I am considering starting a uk site

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nofear,

I am seriously considering making a site for the UK.
Old 24 December 2004, 11:33   #14

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
Hi boatster,

although I have to admit that you`re very courageous in starting this thing I doubt that you will have a long-term success with it. I hate to say so but I think a lot of people are thinking about selling on the internet like this (me too):
Thank-god there is JUST ebay and nothing else. If I go to their site and start my auctions there, I`m almost 100% sure that I get each and every person to look at them. I`m definetly willing to pay for that. Anything that will divide people from it is not welcome- at least not for me as a seller.
I`m just starting my own business as well and only ebay gives me the opportunity to do so! Dont get me wrong: Normally I curse these idiots who run their pages ten times a day since the do never improve anything, they just make their pages worse and slower and worse and slower and worse...... by simply overloading them with stupid things nobody wants! They are greedy down to the bone and customer service is almost down to zero, I know, I know. But still: As a seller Im absolutly happy with the fact that there is nobody else out there.
Every half a year or so somebody tries to start something similar with only the best intentions and, sometimes, even very good ideas- they all fail. From my point of view only Bill Gates could come up with a real competition to ebay and this might as well eat up his complete fortune since he`d to GIVE anyone a buck for an auction whos willing to run his auctions on his site!

Besides from that you did a great job in designing the site, logo and stuff like that- wish I could do as good! And furthermore I wish you all the success you need, because I think it`s great if somebody`s willing to take risks to run his own thing- no matter wether I think it might be successfull or not.... You will probably think the same way about my business, so what?

many greetings,
Wolfie
Old 24 December 2004, 14:51   #15

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Hi ribfreak

Thanks,

for your thoughts on the topic. There are several reasons why I feel blujay.com can at the very least fit a niche that Ebay cannot. For one, very unique items need more time to find the right buyer. On Ebay you can get at most a 10 day listing period. This simply will not work for alot of items. As rib owners I'm sure we have seen ribs list, and relist, and eventually disappear without a winning bidder. This happens with many items. Ebay cannot and will not allow longer listing periods because that will rob their site of the kind of spontenaity and bidding frenzy that sucks buyers in. I could go on about other weaknesses in their model but it would go too long.

However from a fundamental perspective I also think they are "Exploiting" peoples emotions when making purchases. I think although this gets people excited about the hunt/bidding/winning/ etc alot of people check their shopping sense out the door when using Ebay. There is a trend in the US where sellers are relisting items sold on Walmart on Ebay. They literally don't even touch the merchandise, it gets shipped from Walmart to the buyer.
We all know whats great about auctions, the rush, the exploitive nature of the pressure sell.

I believe things will come full circle and people will eventually get tired of getting ripped off, and the pressure sell. Classifieds will be new again and people should be able to make informed purchases with all the time they need to. Why give 5% of your depreciated items value to some website to sell in a week? Sounds pretty rigid too me! I've already sold 4 items on blujay.com in total $900 dollars worth (in all honesty) within the past month. I can't imagine giving ~$60 of my hard earned money to Ebay for doing what I could do on my own, find a good buyer. In the same time one of the first users of blujay also sold 2 vehicles through blujay within this first month. If you are a small business, I can understand how Ebay may give you that exposure. But if you rely on that, expect them taking 5% of your gross sales AND an extra 3% for using paypal. Thats 8% for you to use their website!! You can either get creative or get in line.......

BTW thanks for your thoughts on the site. blujay.com will be here for the long haul. At the very least it will find its niche.