Make: Redbay 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Dream's View Post
Thanks for the replies guys

some answers

Family, yes but with an arrival on the way in the next few months, it won't be family for the next few years and my wife has made the valid point that family trips are only short hops on the rare hot sunny days we get so no real need for shelter.
it was the kids i had in mind when i bought the sportsfisher but i can count the trips that we all went on and in fairness we would have still gone on a rib.

Use is really for cruising, i don't dive at the moment but maybe in the future, boating to me is finding new places and exploring our coastline.

Fuel, I always have a preferance for diesel, but i think i have that idea from cars, i wouldn't leave it be the deciding factor, but saying that, it is second hand i will be buying and prices being what they are now there are a few good deals to be had on diesels as well as petrols.

After spending yesterday in the marina looking out at the weather again, i was speaking with a guy who has just bought a ne rc7.8 with a 300, he was out in the bay and i was watching him, it just looked so good! i think i am starting to lean towards an open rib but I won't decide for sure until I try both.
Hi

I have being reading this post with interest as I have been through boats ranging from a Seahog (1st Boat) a Hardy Pilot and an Aquador 26 after that I changed to RIBS ,I have had a Ribcraft 5.85 and Ribcraft 6.8 offshore,2 years ago I changed to a Diesel engined Excalibur 8.7 wraparound with a canopy (I think these were lambasted in a few posts on Ribnet)
which can be left up on bad days or removed on the better days of which we did'nt have many this summer.
In a way with the ability of being able to remove the canopy I think I have the best of both worlds but this may not be for everyone.

On the subject of fuel luckily I am able to have it delivered to the quayside by prior arrangement, we usually try to arrange a few boats to filled. Personally I prefer the Diesel and the Wraparound /Canopy, but then again if I could afford a Redbay 11Mt. ....

Old 15 August 2011, 13:44   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribliam
I changed to a Diesel engined Excalibur 8.7 wraparound with a canopy (I think these were lambasted in a few posts on Ribnet)
Really, I can't recall that. I don't remember anyone sagging the hull or the practicality of the shelter (although certainly the aesthetic may not suit everyone). There may have been a few owners who got lambasted but not the boats!
Old 15 August 2011, 14:05   #13

Town: Cork
Boat name: No name
Make: Redbay 650
Engine: Suzuki OB
RIBase
True, I remember the posts about differant types of water/waves,only thing I know is it is wet and can be rough..
Old 15 August 2011, 14:27   #14

Town: Kerry
Make: Humber
Engine: Mariner 90
I have been noticing those wraparound by excalibur alright, they are a lovely rib alright, even just a sports console will give a lot more protection and somewhere to stow away some gear, I did hear a rumour yesterday about them, hope it's not true but i believe they may no longer be in business.
Old 18 August 2011, 13:02   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Dream's View Post
So my question is does a cabin rib such as the Redbay 850 stormforce take away from the fun of ribbing on an open boat or does it help get more time on the water in the winter months?
The short answer is probably "yes, and yes"

It does make a big difference to the experience. It's warmer and drier but you're much more detached and for a given speed and sea state it will tend to feel less exciting. In our limited experience we also found that people were more likely to feel seasick in a cabin RIB.

For general leisure cruising, even for extended distances, I would probably choose an open RIB. If I was using the RIB as a serious mode of transport that might mean regular use in bad weather then I would definitely be looking at a cabin RIB.

I would prefer diesel for ease of fuelling and the widest range of options. While it's not too difficult to sort out the logistics of petrol hauling on home turf, but it's more of a hassle if you're cruising further afield.

Both these choices really depend on how, when, where and why you plan to use the new RIB.
Old 18 August 2011, 14:54   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Why not go for something like this ;

RibCraft 850 Cruiser Sport Boat - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

OK it s copy of this ;

Gallery - Shearwater Ribs

But they (to me) offer a bit of both worlds, with a fold up bimini/screnn that does really work ( I have done 30knts into driving rain comfortably in mine) .

And small kids can easily 'hide' in the cabin
Old 18 August 2011, 15:37   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Why not go for something like this ;

RibCraft 850 Cruiser Sport Boat - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

OK it s copy of this ;

Gallery - Shearwater Ribs

But they (to me) offer a bit of both worlds, with a fold up bimini/screnn that does really work ( I have done 30knts into driving rain comfortably in mine) .
Yip, not as enclosed as the redbay/excalibur "tents" so probably more suited to the user who mostly plans to keep it down and put it up when its bad. They will all be somewhat rarer on the 2nd hand market than the Redbay/Excalibur options...

Quote:
And small kids can easily 'hide' in the cabin
presumably not in ugly weather though? as it would be like sitting on the suicide seat with the added hazard of a roof to bang your head on!