Old 03 March 2012, 19:27   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Olympic RIB re sales

Following on from Biffs forum note about RIBs being sold on after the Olympics I have found a link on the RYA site RIBCRAFT to launch exclusive boat package offer at RYA Volvo Dinghy Show 2012 | News | News & Events | RYA

It seems to only show the Ribcraft boats coming on line that I can find presently. I am aware Jason and his team are forum users and am interested in what craft and how many will be sold after the games. (sizes and specs)

I would also be interested in everyones views about the influx of a larger amount of RIBS and the impact on second hand prices. Are they all being offered to UK buyers as this will flood the UK market and prices will be affected I guess? Will it affect just Ribcraft prices? or across the board on second hand prices?
Old 03 March 2012, 19:50   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Following on from Biffs forum note about RIBs being sold on after the Olympics I have found a link on the RYA site RIBCRAFT to launch exclusive boat package offer at RYA Volvo Dinghy Show 2012 | News | News & Events | RYA

I would also be interested in everyones views about the influx of a larger amount of RIBS and the impact on second hand prices. Are they all being offered to UK buyers as this will flood the UK market and prices will be affected I guess? Will it affect just Ribcraft prices? or across the board on second hand prices?
IMHO it will Kill new and used prices for sometime!!!
Old 03 March 2012, 21:19   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
If they are only selling half of the 50 boats (which is what the ad says), then that is only 25 boats..... I cant realll believe that 25 discounted boats is really going to have that much effect on the new or used price of ribs across the whole UK. What percentage is this of annual rib sales? cant believe that it is much?
Old 03 March 2012, 22:00   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If the ribs go to sailing clubs and such like... then you can expect to see their current safety and instructor boats enter the market there-after, which can only be a good thing. Cant see it effect prices at all.
Old 04 March 2012, 00:45   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Prices here: http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...raft_Locog.pdf
Old 04 March 2012, 07:41   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Cant see it effect prices at all.
Not sure how. Prices are affected by supply and demand. I can't see anything that suggests demand currently outstrips supply in the used rib market, and without a sudden economic boom that will change.

We are looking at 50 "1 yr old" ribs on the market with a roughly 40% discount on the retail price (along with the 20 odd protectors for those with tighter budget constraints).

If you were looking for a reasonably new ribcraft, you would need to give them some serious consideration. Would you rather buy an ex Olympics boat that might be less than a year old and have had a month of heavy use but being "reconditioned" by ribcraft and sold with full manufacturers warranty or a 3 or 4 yr old leisure boat. The inevitable consequence is that sellers of 3-4 yr old boats will need to reduce their price to be more affordable than the ex olympics boats; so then the 5 and 6 yr old boats suffer the same problem and so on...

If these all get bought by sailing/dive clubs etc looking to upgrade their existing fleets then there will suddenly be 50 extra ex-club boats on the lower end of the market. At some point they would have upgraded anyway (probably with a new boat) but probably not all at the same time. Likewise if it is private individuals or charter companies who are trading up to an ex-Olympic boat.

The only way I can see it not affecting used prices at all is if most of the buyers are new to ribs and would have bought a new boat. Realistically they are a bit "function" rather than "form" for most newbies with a big chequebook. That may mean it will not affect all rib prices though - e.g. someone looking for a "pretty boat" isn't going to see much extra choice. I can certainly see it spreading beyond the ribcraft marque though - especially into "lesser" respected brands. "Why buy a new CheapRIB when you can get a near enough new RIBcraft for the same money?".
Old 04 March 2012, 08:59   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:

We are looking at 50 "1 yr old" ribs on the.

no, the advert says approximately half are for sale. So at worst only half the problem, and when you look at the layout, and the very basic kit these boats have (I have seen them) you will also have to spend money making them suit the purpose you want them for, so unless they are going to clubs for Marshall, or corse laying boats, which I would suggest is an even more limited market. I really can't see that the average private rib is suddenly going see hundreds of pounds wiped off its value
Old 04 March 2012, 09:02   #8

Town: Fowey
Boat name: Ocean Pearl
Make: RIBQUEST
Engine: Suzuki 140 OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart

Not sure how. Prices are affected by supply and demand. I can't see anything that suggests demand currently outstrips supply in the used rib market, and without a sudden economic boom that will change.

We are looking at 50 "1 yr old" ribs on the market with a roughly 40% discount on the retail price (along with the 20 odd protectors for those with tighter budget constraints).

If you were looking for a reasonably new ribcraft, you would need to give them some serious consideration. Would you rather buy an ex Olympics boat that might be less than a year old and have had a month of heavy use but being "reconditioned" by ribcraft and sold with full manufacturers warranty or a 3 or 4 yr old leisure boat. The inevitable consequence is that sellers of 3-4 yr old boats will need to reduce their price to be more affordable than the ex olympics boats; so then the 5 and 6 yr old boats suffer the same problem and so on...

If these all get bought by sailing/dive clubs etc looking to upgrade their existing fleets then there will suddenly be 50 extra ex-club boats on the lower end of the market. At some point they would have upgraded anyway (probably with a new boat) but probably not all at the same time. Likewise if it is private individuals or charter companies who are trading up to an ex-Olympic boat.

The only way I can see it not affecting used prices at all is if most of the buyers are new to ribs and would have bought a new boat. Realistically they are a bit "function" rather than "form" for most newbies with a big chequebook. That may mean it will not affect all rib prices though - e.g. someone looking for a "pretty boat" isn't going to see much extra choice. I can certainly see it spreading beyond the ribcraft marque though - especially into "lesser" respected brands. "Why buy a new CheapRIB when you can get a near enough new RIBcraft for the same money?".
As I am aware these boats are only being offered to sailing clubs and RYA training centres, hence the announcement through the RYA - so only 25 will be sold at heavily discounted prices which shouldn't affect the market. The other 25 will be offered at closer to retail prices to the general public. I don't think it will affect the market or used prices..... That's just my view as a RIB broker and powerboat school
Old 04 March 2012, 11:54   #9

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Engine: 1 200hp merc
I cant see it having a huge effect. as fowley said most are going to sailing clubs, my general experience of club ribs are that they are usually very tired when they are sold on and would definatly be ocupying the lower end of the market.
Any news on the protectors? models specs etc?
Old 04 March 2012, 12:05   #10

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by foweymaritime View Post
As I am aware these boats are only being offered to sailing clubs and RYA training centres, hence the announcement through the RYA - so only 25 will be sold at heavily discounted prices which shouldn't affect the market. The other 25 will be offered at closer to retail prices to the general public. I don't think it will affect the market or used prices..... That's just my view as a RIB broker and powerboat school
Goog grief a local, local !
Welcome to Ribnet, FM.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:32   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
Any news on the protectors? models specs etc?
Here is the link
http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...l%20PDF.RA.pdf
Old 04 March 2012, 16:15   #12

Town: Fowey
Boat name: Ocean Pearl
Make: RIBQUEST
Engine: Suzuki 140 OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow

Goog grief a local, local !
Welcome to Ribnet, FM.