Old 12 May 2006, 23:49   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Yes I agree, a full refund or new set of reliable tubes is a must. I am suprised that Olmec have taken the view of "not being bothered" would have thought that a post like this would do alot of harm to a buisiness.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 06:25   #22
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
I am even more surprised that Olmec have not caught on to the fact that, fixing a problem for a customer (even if it means going well above and beyond the call) would have meant Lurcher could and have posted a thread saying how Olmec had called him about the glue issue and how they would like to have his boat back in to check over etc. and how impressed he has been with a company willing to put their hand up.

And I bet every one reading it would have added confidence in this firm?

Instead phrases such as “point of being bothered” etc do nothing to help or instil confidence.
Old 13 May 2006, 07:47   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Yes you are all correct I should have taken the refund when first offered but I didn’t and this is the reason why .

I talked at length to Ed about the problem and said to him that I felt that rather than running away from the problem (full refund ) he should face up to his responsibilities sort out the problem properly and give me back boat with a set of good safe and reliable tubes . Yes I would have been pissed off at the delay but happy I had a safe boat . I would also not be writing these posts and would be championing Olmec as a company that had a problem but went the distance and fixed it .His current attitude does nothing for me and my problems nothing for himself and nothing for Olmec .

The fact that I remained silent for so long and gave him so many opportunities to sort it out makes me feel justified now in bringing this into the open .

To clarify matters further I have since the end of last season sent him a letter , emails with pics attached, phoned on his mobile and on his landline, left messages on both answer phones and all to no avail . The only contact I had was when I called from my son’s mobile so I assume he has been screening my calls . When I did finally speak to him around Easter he informed he was rather too busy with a retube on The Antigua Lifeboat whuich he was going to Antigua to do so would unable to do anything about my problem .

I was still content to remain silent and get the work done by Steve and send Olmec the bill . The total amount of the work done by Steve was just over £65 I am still waiting for a cheque from Olmec .. I will just write that amount again £65.

Below is my last Email to him which of course I have had no reply

‘Ed
If you had bothered to answer my calls reply to my email or send someone up
to fix the problems I would not have resorted to the forum . I gave you so
many chances to sort it out and you chose not to take any of them up. It is
funny how you have responded so quickly now(on the forum) . Our last conversation was to
the effect that you were off to Antigua and that you had no time to sort out
my problem . I still have that problem and I feel I have been very loyal to
you up till now . I would accept your offer of removing the tubes and refunding my money but somehow I doubt if you will honour that .You may wish to call me in the morning to discuss my mobile 0………………’

Thanks to all who have offered advice and help. I really am pissed off that it has got to this .
Old 13 May 2006, 11:15   #24

Town: Fareham
So it's got "Small Claims Court" writen all over this then. Please let us know how you get on.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 11:23   #25
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
It's got 'shut shop and run' written all over it!
Old 13 May 2006, 11:40   #26

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
If you were refunded the 65 pounds would be back to the level of a good boat , good tubes etc apart from what has happened, does this 65 solve your problem

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 12:34   #27
RIBnet supporter

No way but it was the final straw I suppose thats why I went public .I know Im on ahiding to nothing really .
Old 13 May 2006, 14:19   #28
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
I don't know whether there is such a thing but if it was me I would get the tubes surveyed either by a professional surveyor or another tube supplier. A company that does not have an axe to grind against Olmec, (im not implying anything here Stephen by the way just a general comment).
Even if you paid for this out of your own pocket this would give piece of mind and inspire confidence in the boat. If it was found the tubes are unsound and liable to failure this needs to be resolved with Olmec, either amicably or through the small claims court, a pulic forum is probably not the right place to do this.
Scott Braye of Rib Repair in Lymington/ Brockenhurst is a good man and has done work for me in the past, he would probably give them a good look over for you. www.ribrepair.com
Old 13 May 2006, 17:03   #29

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I was informed that some time ago Olmec had several boats with the same problem .The glue manufacturer was call in and it was determined it was a application error not manufacture fault not being an expert cant really comment other than it seems to happen to Olmec an awfull lot.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:37   #30

Glad i stumbbled into this thread! Am looking at getting a 5mtr Tornado retubed and now know to give Olmec a wide berth!

We run a marine valet/maint company and if we operated with the same "couldnt give a monkeys" attitude we would be out of business in a month!!!

the marine community is very close and word about a bad job or attitude spreads like mad along the Hamble
Old 17 May 2006, 10:49   #31

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
drop mark at ribcraft a call, they did mine and are superb, plus you get a 5 yr warranty on the tube and workmanship

drop me a pm if you need an introduction as i know mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by springtide66
Glad i stumbbled into this thread! Am looking at getting a 5mtr Tornado retubed and now know to give Olmec a wide berth!

We run a marine valet/maint company and if we operated with the same "couldnt give a monkeys" attitude we would be out of business in a month!!!

the marine community is very close and word about a bad job or attitude spreads like mad along the Hamble
Old 17 May 2006, 21:47   #32

Town: costa del pontypool
Boat name: ole sharky
Make: sr4 now very fast
Length: 4m +
Engine: johnson 60 vro
your tubes

i would be looking first to trading standards inform them on whats happened also the lack of response and most importantly the"cant be botherd attertude" they will chase the matter for you,or you could go to a small clame court on reading on what you say and there reply they wouldnt stand a chance as far as you gave them a second-therd chance to repair you have been more than understanding and as far as they are a proffesional company well??????????????? you all make your own opinion i also was looking for new tubes I WONT BE GOING THERE!!!!!!!!!
lercher please keep us informed on what u are going to do
Old 18 May 2006, 06:30   #33
RIBnet supporter

Ok
Thanks for all the input .I have now had a proper professional survey done and will remain silent untill the conclusion of this saga . I will of course report back via here of the result .............but don't hold your breath !
Old 26 May 2006, 08:10   #34

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
In the past many of the rib manufacturers-Revenger,Aquaflyte,Breeze Ribs,Leeway,and Shakespeare Have used Olec for tubing .I hope after this They will see sense instead of POUND signs in their pockets.I would be interested to have some sort of response on here from the above and your comments as the consumer(constructive comments please)However I,m sure some will say oh no not this again but i think this is a valid point to be discussed and may avoid another LURCHER AND FJORDRAFTING saga to list a couple