Old 20 February 2007, 17:43   #23

Town: dartmouth
Boat name: -
Make: fletcher
Length: 4m +
Engine: 36
Olmec liquidation

i worked for 18 months at Olmec, since i left school at 15,
mostly doing basics such as sanding fitting strips, helping to fit etc.

I would just like to say i no his own work in the company was great and his
skills when fitting and building rib collars were excellent. Most of the blame was due to staff and there attendance i witnessed.

I hope you do well in the future ed, and think you are best off as a sole trader and you can keep managment simple. good luck
Old 20 February 2007, 23:42   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Good luck
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2007, 23:43   #25

Town: kingsbridge
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25
Small bit of history

Olmec was originally set up in 2001 by Ed, myself (Joe) and another friend Bob. The expertise that Ed had learned, from several years in the industry, my business and Bobs laminating skills made a perfect combination.

We entered into the market to compete with a few of the larger names in the industry and to be perfectly honest the quality of tubes that were being built by Ed were unrivalled and seeing the boats being towed off up the road after being quality checked and fitted out by Bob & I, it was exciting to know that in our opinion we were the best.

Unfortunately 3 years down the line and due to irreconcilable differences between the three of us we decided to break up the partnership. Bob & I did not feel too upset at the time, the business was left in a reasonably good financial position, Ed may disagree, but every business has an overdraft, put it this way, we had built up a good client base and a strong branding, website with several large prospected clients, Ed definitely made the right decision to continue and he did as a Ltd company. He had an employee called Will who had been trained up in the tube build process and his work was also excellent.

During my time with Olmec we were placed under severe pressure by rib manufacturers who all wanted 30 and in some cases 60 days credit, which was almost unbearable. I have never seen so many bounced cheques and excuses after excuses (I hasten to add that none were from poor quality). I suppose it’s a learning curve for any business as a new venture, but the majority of trade in the industry are all rouges and to be honest both Bob and I were happy not to be apart of it. You all know who you are!

Ed moved to Dartmouth and set up a large factory, very nice but quite a leap none the less. All looked good from the outside, many tubes being produced for leading manufactures and the quality also looked good. I think there were some issues with a bad glue batch, which I remember from having to fit a set of tubes to my own boat, we had to double glue, which I had never done before and it was a pain. It’s obviously not an excuse but it is a valid reason to as to why there are a few upset customers.

Cash flow has a habit of persuading you to make bad business decisions, pay your employee, put food on the table or keep one customer happy. In the olden days that one customer would probably fade away or at worst case scenario you may see a CCJ appear on your desk. If Ed, in hindsight, had realised the potential of rib.net and the roll on effect of doing a bad job then he would have put it right regardless of the cost, he would have been eating toast for a month and his employee would be blamed and not had a salary for a fortnight. I can’t imagine for a second that Ed would intentionally send out bad workmanship, after all, I know him better than all of you!

The products that tube builders deal with on a day to day basis is horrendous even the warning labels have disclaimers against any harm caused to the you from prolonged use even with the correct protective clothing, it really is an H&S nightmare for the employer. Seeming tubes together and removing excess glue with a rag soaked in highly toxic M501 with only your tipped fingers. Most of you do not realise that the reason you havn’t got yellow glue marks down every seem, is because some poor sod has had to do just this. Just to top it off, your stomach aches with hunger after about 30 mins of inhaling toluene.!!

I can totally understand the problem in the industry, good staff, are hard to come by especially after a few months of handling these substances, it’s probably been a nightmare for Ed for several months if not years.

Ed, I congratulate you for continuing, you are now a master of your own destiny with no employees or large overheads, do your self a massive favour, keep it that way and look after the private retube people, they are the hard working and honest type who want the best product at a competitive price and they always pay!! I think your work is still unrivalled..

Ed, It’s a shame that we all worked hard to bring Olmec to the front of branding only to see it fade, I suppose all publicity is good publicity.

Olmec ‘the people who live in the land of rubber!

Old 07 April 2007, 17:55   #26

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
[QUOTE=rubberjoey;193951] I think there were some issues with a bad glue batch, which I remember from having to fit a set of tubes to my own boat, we had to double glue, which I had never done before and it was a pain. It’s obviously not an excuse but it is a valid reason to as to why there are a few upset customers.

This is a bit alarming, in my opinion. I have no idea what adhesive was being used, but the most commonly used which is Bostik 2402/NE486 clearly states in the instructions that a minimum of two coats of adhesive must be used to ensure a strong enough bond. I am concerned that there are presumably a number of boats being used by users that have seams with only one coat of adhesive . If they were constructed using an adhesive that only needs one coat, I would dearly love to know as it will save us a fortune!!

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2007, 18:55   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Old 07 April 2007, 20:02   #28

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
[QUOTE=Christopher;194081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberjoey View Post
I think there were some issues with a bad glue batch, which I remember from having to fit a set of tubes to my own boat, we had to double glue, which I had never done before and it was a pain. It’s obviously not an excuse but it is a valid reason to as to why there are a few upset customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberjoey View Post

This is a bit alarming, in my opinion. I have no idea what adhesive was being used, but the most commonly used which is Bostik 2402/NE486 clearly states in the instructions that a minimum of two coats of adhesive must be used to ensure a strong enough bond. I am concerned that there are presumably a number of boats being used by users that have seams with only one coat of adhesive . If they were constructed using an adhesive that only needs one coat, I would dearly love to know as it will save us a fortune!!
More to the point Chris, if the people single gluing haven't initiated a recall to the customers concerned, I'd be very interested in the MAIB's opinion and the possible legal repecussions should one of them sink with injury or even worse loss of life.....
Old 07 April 2007, 20:27   #29

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
gluing tubes

I am sure that Paul T. will have a comment to make on this subject, as he is clearly an expert by reputation. However, I will throw my 2 cents in. I spent 3 years as a manufacturing engineer making airbags, both automotive and helicopter ( Apache and Blackhawk) Aibags are made of Hypalon or similar. Standard test for an airbag is 30psi released via a fast opening valve ( 6 ms). To achieve this roll material needs to be cleaned in bonding area to remove the powder that stops it sticking together when in roll form. ( usually talc.) with solvent then first coat of adhesive to prime surface,when just a little tacky apply second coat and bond with a roller to finish. Ever thought of your airbag bursting in an accident? Very Nasty!!!!
Regards
PS. No hotcross buns in Arizona
Old 09 April 2007, 08:06   #30

Town: kingsbridge
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25
The correct gluing methods have always been adopted by Olmec and with my comment regarding the M501 thinners, Christopher, as an expert, should have twigged that we would be using Bostic products namely 2402 glue.

Furthermore you would have thought that as a partner in a firm, I would have had the common sense to establish what the correct method should be especially when I have taken time to read the particular warning labels.

** The process of gluing, when I fitted out my own boat, had to be doubled up from the normal method as recommended by the manufacturer ‘Bostic’. It took twice as long to fit a set of tubes. Simple! **

Christopher, after all, is it fair to say that a large percentage of current tube manufacturers have all gained their experience from the grandfather of companies namely ‘Henshaws’.

Obviously there would be no cause for concern and certainly no need for any product recalls for improper building/fitting methods whilst I was a partner.

Stop fishing!!