Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I kind of resent that a bit Nasher.
Interesting post. Circumstances change all the time, and as indicated, things were out of your hands. Hope you get her back in the water soon once the engine's sorted.
Old 22 November 2009, 12:49   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Marine growth is dependant on quite a number of factors. Low salinity and high turbidity will certainly slow things up plant wise. Most animicules tend not to like this much either. There will be some seasonal effects too. Long days and rising water temperatures in spring see a surge in growth that would not be witnessed in the late summer. On reflection, I suppose a murky riverine marine would be a low growth area. Unfortunately it's a lot quicker around here
Old 22 November 2009, 15:37   #23

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
Ahh okay 9 months sounds more reasonable - that was a scary amount for 10 weeks - made me wonder why anyone would keep their RIB in the water and not dry stacked

J
How about because I can row out and get to play anytime I have an hour off and the weather is half decent. I just acid wash the hull 3 or 4 times a season.

Ian
Old 22 November 2009, 15:49   #24

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Now you've put it like that Ian - makes me wonder why I park mine on the drive - damn!!!!!

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 16:03   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Bad dog gnasher

Quote:
I kind of resent that a bit Nasher.
I kinda resent it too. You should leave stating the bleeding obvious to me and gArfie. No more Scooby snax for you.

Jimbo

As you were using the boat daily then that in itself would keep the bottom fairly clean. How long was it moored without use to get that bad, no wonder thay call the place Sh*t creek

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you've been knocked for money and had somebody Fkk up an engine for you, I know just how painful and annoying that can be. Does the instructors liability insurance cover mechanical negligence or is it just cover liability when underway?. Cos it strikes me that he/she was liable and negligent and that could be grounds for a claim.

As you are only too well aware of my views on Pwerboat Instructors needing expeience, I won't bang on about it here but, I wonder if you'd agree with me that a PBI needs to be able to prove a degree of mechanical and boatkeeping competence. Perhaps the RYA should set up a course for petrol engine maintenance as well as diesel (or better still an exam) and maybe those courses should be a pre requisite prior to a PBI course.

After all the margins in running a PB2 course can be quite tight and it takes a lot of courses to pay for a fkkd engine
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 16:43   #26

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
As you are only too well aware of my views on Pwerboat Instructors needing expeience, I won't bang on about it here but, I wonder if you'd agree with me that a PBI needs to be able to prove a degree of mechanical and boatkeeping competence. Perhaps the RYA should set up a course for petrol engine maintenance as well as diesel (or better still an exam) and maybe those courses should be a pre requisite prior to a PBI course.
I strongly agree with that point.
Old 22 November 2009, 17:36   #27

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: n/a
Sorry to hear about your misfortune I know how difficult it can be to run a small business especially when things get tight financially, fortunately I never had to face the combination of problems you have, for what it's worth, I feel for you.

Obviously, I mean that in a manly, empathic manner not a.....well, anyway.

One thing that puzzles me, is how does a diesel (and an old design at that) manage to rev to 14,000?
Old 22 November 2009, 17:43   #28

The way the engineer explained it (and I'm no mechanic) it basically "ran away with itself". How this happens or how this is possible I don't have a clue, but my understanding is something catastrophic happened, it sucked in loads of fuel and air, ran faster and faster until it eventually killed it's self. We initially thought it might be seized. Apparently its far from it, theres no compression at all - its basically eaten its self.
Old 22 November 2009, 18:25   #29

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
The way the engineer explained it (and I'm no mechanic) it basically "ran away with itself". How this happens or how this is possible I don't have a clue, but my understanding is something catastrophic happened, it sucked in loads of fuel and air, ran faster and faster until it eventually killed it's self. We initially thought it might be seized. Apparently its far from it, theres no compression at all - its basically eaten its self.
Diesel engines rely on the heat generated by compression to ignite the diesel fuel, and control the engine revs by varying the quantity of fuel injected.

If the quantity of fuel injected is not restricted, the engine revs will rise (ie it will run away). A diesel engine is not fussed where it gets its fuel from, or what fuel it gets - a blown turbo or other failure that releases lube oil into the engine's air intake provides a great source of fuel.

Under these circumstances, shutting down the diesel supply or electrical supply will have no effect - the only thing that will work is cutting out the air supply - firing a CO2 extinguisher down the air intake is usually effective.

Be grateful that the engine remained intact - sometimes a piston or crank will let go and the ensuing shrapnel can be somewhat hazardous to health.

Cheers

Chris
Old 22 November 2009, 18:26   #30

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
The way the engineer explained it (and I'm no mechanic) it basically "ran away with itself".
This can smetimes happen when there is a really bad failure and the engine starts dragging engine oil into the cylinders. I have seen this happen on freelander and it was quite a scary experience, the engine revved its nuts off and the guy jumped out of the car in the middle of cheltenham with the ignition keys in his hand

He just had to stand there and wait until the engine very suddenly stopped with a very nasty banging noise as it all let go.

Not a nice experience and I imagine if the Old Spice had been in gear when this happened someone could have been in for the ride of their life

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 18:28   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I imagine if the Old Spice had been in gear when this happened someone could have been in for the ride of their life
That made me chuckle
Old 22 November 2009, 18:46   #32

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
That made me chuckle
"Scary Spice"

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 19:04   #33

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Quote:
That was the original plan - she was going to be blocked off at Trafalgar Wharf for the winter, but as I said things move on, John (Lurcher) needed his trailer, Tim M's business plans and connections with Kings Marine altered, and the cost of having her craned out, blocked off, and stored at Trafalgar was not dis-similar to having her in a winter berth at Haslar, where I can at least pop down to her to stop her filling with water etc.

I'm investigating various options, but am currently working in Falmouth with "disadvantaged" kids until at least the 2nd December, so can't do much until I'm back!
Hi Jimbo sorry to hear of your woes but if anything changes I know I'm new on here but I live very near Trafalger Wharf, if you did need to move it there I would be more than happy to keep an eye on it for you.
Old 24 November 2009, 14:42   #34

Length: 6m +
Hi All, thanks for messages of support and advice, especially those recieved via e-mail and PM. Some of you I haven't even met, and your kindness is uplifting. I'll respond to you all in due course - I'm still bouncing around the English Channel with Cornwalls finest until the weekend at the earliest!

I also need to apologise to Nasher a bit too - he is one of the most supportive people on RibNet, and has helped me with advice and support (most notably completely rebuilding at a fraction of the cost a trailer for Greyhound, my old RibTec 585) - he didn't deserve my emotional response to be directed at him!

Truth is, I'm as sad as anyone about Old Spice - the suggestion that I've let her get in this state is probably fair - I could have sold her on when I was offered a fair price over a year ago. However, I love that boat, and will be so sad the day I have to sell her - my heart wants me to hang on and get her going again.
Old 24 November 2009, 14:51   #35

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Hang on in there that man - having only just got our little toy I can't imagine having to part with her regardless of what needed doing - I think when you find a boat that you are happy with and have spent time with then letting them go must be pretty tough ... so don't

J

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 16:17   #36

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post

I'm with you on that, when I did my PBI course I was surprised at how clueless some of the candidates were about engines...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 17:43   #37

Town: Mumbai
Boat name: Pathfinder
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 X Yamaha F115s
Sorry to hear about your boat Jimbo..hope everything is sorted out soon.
Old 25 November 2009, 10:13   #38

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This can smetimes happen when there is a really bad failure and the engine starts dragging engine oil into the cylinders. I have seen this happen on freelander and it was quite a scary experience, the engine revved its nuts off and the guy jumped out of the car in the middle of cheltenham with the ignition keys in his hand

He just had to stand there and wait until the engine very suddenly stopped with a very nasty banging noise as it all let go.

Not a nice experience and I imagine if the Old Spice had been in gear when this happened someone could have been in for the ride of their life
Have witnessed this too on a Peugeot 306. The engine was screaming, loads of smoke and eventually caught fire. Also heard it's a distinct possibility if you rebuild the Bosch fuel pump on most Audi turbo-diesels, which is why they can justify the £1k+ new part!
Old 25 November 2009, 10:46   #39

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Have witnessed this too on a Peugeot 306. The engine was screaming, loads of smoke and eventually caught fire.

Like this.

Old 25 November 2009, 15:53   #40

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Oh I think we will see her back in action again

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick Spice.JPG
Views:	191