Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
I suppose you might be able to in theory with a car,
You can-I did it when my old trooper threw the turbo seals and ran away. Top gear and dump the clutch.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2009, 14:55   #62

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I may be completely wrong but I think old spice already has an air intake cut off connected to the kill cord (from vague memory of previous Pac22/Old Spice threads). Presumably she had gone bang by the time anyone realised there was a serious problem!
Old Spice had a solenoid which acted on the fuel pump to stop the engine. If she ran away from a turbo seal failure it wouldn't have helped. Someone did give me a suitable turbo blanking cover, but it required the solenoid to permanently hold it open, not something I really wanted because if it failed then the engine would stop at sea.

The engine was rebuilt by mermaid in 98 as a 200 hp version. The original block from Ford is 80 hp, mermaid up this to 140 hp for the RN and with care, a new bottom end, bigger turbo etc can be taken up to 200 hp. I think it might be better to stop at 160 - 180 hp rather than push it too far. Despite lots of claims mermaid only ever built a few 200 hp versions and certainly not enough for everyone one who claims they have a hot version. Thankfully Old Spice came with a full dyno report from Mermaid give the hp figures.

Pete
Old 28 November 2009, 16:56   #63
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Old Spice had a solenoid which acted on the fuel pump to stop the engine. If she ran away from a turbo seal failure it wouldn't have helped. Someone did give me a suitable turbo blanking cover, but it required the solenoid to permanently hold it open, not something I really wanted because if it failed then the engine would stop at sea.
OK - memory failure then!
Old 30 November 2009, 12:48   #64

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:

Pete

In Hind sight...........
Old 30 November 2009, 13:09   #65

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
In Hind sight...........
Hmm, no probably not. The shut off solenoid for the fuel pump acted when it was energised so if failed all that would happen is the engine would carry on running until the fuel tap on the tank was turned off.

A solenoid on the turbo flap would be permanently energised and bolted to a hot turbo, probably just a case of when it would fail and if you had a spare coat hanger handy to hold it open again until you got home.

It is possible that something else happened of course, like the throttle becoming stuck wide open or an injector fuel line fracturing. I think if Jimbo had been on board he would have fired off the autogas fire extinguisher in the engine bay and shut the fuel tap which would have stopped the problem straight away.

Pete
Old 30 November 2009, 14:02   #66

Length: 6m +
Quote:
It is possible that something else happened of course, like the throttle becoming stuck wide open or an injector fuel line fracturing. I think if Jimbo had been on board he would have fired off the autogas fire extinguisher in the engine bay and shut the fuel tap which would have stopped the problem straight away.
I have, as you will imagine, been thinking about this a fair bit - I came to the conclusion that's exactly what I'd have done. I'm also thinking about moving the fuel shut off up so that it can be accessed through the hatch under the steering wheel - easier access if your console is full of spares and wet gear!

I doubt it was an injector fuel line fracturing - I replaced these not so long ago. Could be though, anything is possible.
Old 30 November 2009, 18:26   #67

Town: Port Talbot
Boat name: Big Blue / Aurora
Make: Pac 22 Taskforce 810
Engine: 160Mermaid 250Sabre
MMSI: 235061166
Sorry to hear about your blown engine, sounds like a nightmare.
My Pacific is fitted with the solenoid activated air shut off flap over the turbo.
It is energised to close, so you need the power on to close it.
It is rigged to my kill cord although I have never used it in anger it appears extremely effective when I have tested it at idle.
Old 02 December 2009, 08:21   #68

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
As a runaway engine in this scenario is only going to happen every third blue moon, why not instead of a solenoid have a bowden cable to the console with an old car style choke lever - in emergency, pull to stop.

Doesn't rely on electrickery to keep you moving, but when you need it, the "E stop " is to hand, and if your fuel solenoid fails, can also use it to stop anyway.
Old 07 December 2009, 15:30   #69

Quote:
Hmm, no probably not. The shut off solenoid for the fuel pump acted when it was energised so if failed all that would happen is the engine would carry on running until the fuel tap on the tank was turned off.

A solenoid on the turbo flap would be permanently energised and bolted to a hot turbo, probably just a case of when it would fail and if you had a spare coat hanger handy to hold it open again until you got home.

Pete
I totally mis-read your postI read there was a flap on the air intake held open by a solenoid. Must pay more attention in class
Old 07 December 2009, 15:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
As a runaway engine in this scenario is only going to happen every third blue moon, why not instead of a solenoid have a bowden cable to the console with an old car style choke lever - in emergency, pull to stop.

Doesn't rely on electrickery to keep you moving, but when you need it, the "E stop " is to hand, and if your fuel solenoid fails, can also use it to stop anyway.
Or just fit a chalwyn one, they're mechanical and operate on a air flow.
Old 07 December 2009, 15:59   #71

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Or just fit a chalwyn one, they're mechanical and operate on a air flow.
How much money are we talking about do you know
Old 08 December 2009, 09:58   #72

havent a clue mate, (link to website earlier on in thread)but not much i shouldn't think, theyr'e a very simple device containing only a flap and a spring, and an adjusting thread.
I guess you specify the engine capacity in litres, and the maximum boost pressure, and engine max RPM and they supply them adjusted to suit. Or maybe you just keep tightening the spring until it doesn't trigger under normal conditions?
even if they're a few hundred quid its cheaper than the alternative
And on the subject of runaway turbo diesels i think all diesels should be intercooled too.....an intercooler(shrapnel arrestor) is very effective at preventing engine damage if you get a catastrophic inlet compressor failure. I have replaced a few turbos and had to shake pieces of turbine out of intercoolers.